Sign in to follow this  
JasinEdward

Advice on Possible Leak....

Does anyone else have the Steeda cat deletes?  I have had major issues trying to get rid of leaks.  First I had one at the ball joint on the driver side (could hear it).  After I fixed that one, I developed on on the passenger side (couldn't hear it, saw it in my LT fuel trim).  I fixed that one and the driver side leaked again.  So I cut the tabs that hold the ball joint clamps to the H pipe.  I was able to get it fixed up pretty good, but I think I hear a little bit of a leak starting again.  I retightened the clamps again, but I think I'm going crazy.  I don't feel a leak anymore and I remember when I put my x-pipe on my v6 that it made engine noise a little louder.

Anyone have any luck with sealers like permatex?  Has anyone used the BBK after cat pipe Steeda sells?  How will it mate up to the deletes?  I hear the factor ball flanges really suck.  Is this the case?

It seemed like the Steeda brand cat deletes were among the best, far better than the problem-prone BBK cat deletes. I've never tried to fix a leak like that so I might not be able to help but I will forward this to Steeda Matt.

• Like 2

Does anyone else have the Steeda cat deletes?  I have had major issues trying to get rid of leaks.  First I had one at the ball joint on the driver side (could hear it).  After I fixed that one, I developed on on the passenger side (couldn't hear it, saw it in my LT fuel trim).  I fixed that one and the driver side leaked again.  So I cut the tabs that hold the ball joint clamps to the H pipe.  I was able to get it fixed up pretty good, but I think I hear a little bit of a leak starting again.  I retightened the clamps again, but I think I'm going crazy.  I don't feel a leak anymore and I remember when I put my x-pipe on my v6 that it made engine noise a little louder.

Anyone have any luck with sealers like permatex?  Has anyone used the BBK after cat pipe Steeda sells?  How will it mate up to the deletes?  I hear the factor ball flanges really suck.  Is this the case?

Ball joints/flanges are touchy.  I had a bad leak for a while but it was also due to a piss poor fitting cut n' clamp X pipe.  If you're sick of jerkin' around, try some high temp gasket maker.  It's a start at least.

Grimace, thanks for forwarding this to me.

Jasin, I'm sorry your having difficulty, I've seen this twice and the easy fix is using permatex ultra copper, but send me a pm if you have a moment, I'll be in touch in the morning to make sure we get this taken care of. (I tried to send you a pm, but it's difficult on the phone).

Well our friends here are gonna have a field day with this, but all it takes is a good smear on the male end.

That's what she said....

2qi8i2r-1.gif

I PM'd you..... Thanks again!

All right...... I have finally done it!  I bought 2 of these lap clamps from Jegs.... http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/30853/10002/-1

I also used so Permatex ultra copper.  What's nice about these clamps is that they conform to the ball flange joint.  I think my problem was due to movement after the fact (I would hit a bump or something).  I used a jack for some support and I worked the front clamps in place.  I then slid the rear factory clamps up and lightly tightened them.  I worked the front side by side a little at a time and it worked!  No more exhaust leak.  It was real slight anyway, but it drove me crazy.  Plus you hear some more engine noise without cats because they act like mufflers to some extent.

So to anyone wanting to use cat delete pipes, I really recommend getting these clamps.  They make the job MUCH easier...