Sign in to follow this  
nastang87xx

Protecting wires from heat

Since my starter wires are only about a half inch away from one of my header primaries, I had to wrap them in heat wrap tape provided by Kooks and tie them off, otherwise they would be touching.  Since I always want to be sure of everything, does it make sense to wrap a second strip to double layer the wires?  Does this even give any extra protection?

The shielding protects more from the radiant heat rather than temps, kinda like tenting a roast with foil in the oven protects it from burning, a second layer probably won't make it any better, but it won't hurt if it makes you feel better.

Is there a mini starter offering from anyone for our cars?  I would definitely consider one if it was a viable solution for both starter maintenance (so I don't have to loosen up the header if/when the starter goes and I'm not stuck in the mud) and for wire management.

Do all headers have this problem or only the Kooks?

Has anyone had a starter cook yet?

Only Kooks.  I honestly don't think so but the starter isn't touching.  A primary wraps around the starter but it's not like the 70's where you had to bend a damn primary for it to fit otherwise it was touching.  I guess it's really not a problem but just a challenge.  I'm not really worried about my starter.  It's just going to be a pain in the ass when it does go.  My suggestion still stands by ARH, Bassani, and Stainless Works.