Sign in to follow this  
SRT

Wheel Lug Torque and new wheels.

Proper installation requires that the wheel lug torque be set to the recommended specification for your vehicle. These torque specifications can be found in your vehicle's owner's manual, shop repair manual or obtained from your vehicle dealer.

Wheel lug torque specifications are for clean threads that are free of dirt, grit, etc. Do not apply anti-seize compound to the lug hardware or studs. That can result in inaccurate torque readings and/or over torquing of the hardware.

Once lugs are snugged down by hand, finish tightening them with an accurate torque wrench. Use the appropriate crisscross sequence (shown below) for the number of wheel lugs on your vehicle until all have reached their proper torque value. Be careful because if you over-torque a wheel, you can strip a lug nut or hub, stretch or break a stud or bolt, and cause the wheel, brake rotor and/or brake drum to distort.

torque_diagram.jpg

Use the dry wheel lug torque values specified in the vehicle's owner's manual, shop manual or obtained from the vehicle dealer/service provider.

When installing new wheels you should re-torque the wheel lugs after driving the first 50 to 100 miles in case the clamping loads have changed following the initial installation. This is necessary due to the possibility of metal compression/elongation or thermal stresses affecting the wheels as they are breaking in, as well as to verify the accuracy of the original installation. When rechecking torque value, wait for the wheels to cool to ambient temperature (never torque a hot wheel). Loosen and retighten to value, in sequence. Simply repeat the same torque procedure listed above.

I borrowed this from Tirerack. It just occurred to me we could use one of these factoids too and they had some nice torque sequence pics too so I just copied it all. I bolded and italicized an important part they said casually. This is very true in engine building, from my experience, due to breakaway torque. Though the torque wrench may "click" or show it's at spec, that may not be the case due to breakaway torque.

Breakaway torque-

In physics and mechanics, torque is rotational force, or the force necessary to cause an object to rotate around an axis. In most cases, more torque is needed to start the rotational motion than is needed to keep it going once it has begun. This initial force is called breakaway torque. The amount of breakaway torque needed to move something is determined in part by static friction. Static friction is the force that exists between two physical bodies to keep them from moving.

So to avoid false readings, you always smoothly move the torque wrench and tighten up to the torque value you need. Additionally, if you choose to torque up to the final value in stages, to keep breakaway torque from affecting the final value, always at least keep the torque steps a minimum of 15lb-ft apart. IE Doing a 3 stage torque process to 100 lb-ft. I might start at 50 lb-ft. Well, the next value I set the torque wrench to (on a clicker style torque wrench) should at least be 15 lb-ft higher. So if we torque to 50, 75, then 100...that more than covers the minimum of 15lb-ft change and keeps breakaway torque from being a factor.

New wheels need to be re-torqued. Using the torque sequence pictured above for a 5 lug wheel, our Mustangs will need to be torqued to 100lb-ft. Using both the torque sequence pictured above AND also doing an incremental torque (50,75,100lb-ft) to each wheel is my personal preference. It can also cut down on potential vibrations this way.

Thanks for reading. I just wanted people who may be new to the automotive hobby to be safe.

• Like 3

Good post.

Also, worthwhile to note some basic torque wrench good practices:

I.) properly store your torque wrench - ideally in a case and not locked to a torque spec

II.) avoid dropping your torque wrench

III.) generally, torque wrenches are made for tightening - avoid loosening fasteners with them - unless your torque wrench is specifically designed for that purpose

IV.) periodically check calibration with a known good torque wrench or take it to a Costco tire center as Im told they have torque wrench calibration machines that they will check your wrench for you if youre not an asshole

V.) lastly, for basic use, you dont need an expensive $200+ dollar torque wrench - the Harbor Freight $10 ones have been proven to be within the claimed 4% margin and more than adequate for torquing lug nuts

Good post.

Also, worthwhile to note some basic torque wrench good practices:

I.) properly store your torque wrench - ideally in a case and not locked to a torque spec

II.) avoid dropping your torque wrench

III.) generally, torque wrenches are made for tightening - avoid loosening fasteners with them - unless your torque wrench is specifically designed for that purpose

IV.) periodically check calibration with a known good torque wrench or take it to a Costco tire center as Im told they have torque wrench calibration machines that they will check your wrench for you if youre not an asshole

V.) lastly, for basic use, you dont need an expensive $200+ dollar torque wrench - the Harbor Freight $10 ones have been proven to be within the claimed 4% margin and more than adequate for torquing lug nuts

Absolutely! I agree with it all. I should really have mine tested. I've had it almost 20 years but always store it as you mentioned. I've assembled two engines with it, wheels, and less occasional other tasks.

I always store my torque wrenches with the torque at the minimum setting for the wrench (which is *not* necessarily 0 ft-lb).  This prevents compression/elongation of the springs inside the wrench, which may adversely affect accuracy.

Also, if tightening to a particular torque value, I choose a wrench such that the desired value is not at the top or bottom of the range.  Torque wrenches are less accurate close to the upper and lower limits of their range.  I have two torque wrenches, one that goes from 10 to 75 ft-lb, and another with an overlapping range from 50 to 200 ft-lb.  Between them, I can torque up just about anything I need.

I always store my torque wrenches with the torque at the minimum setting for the wrench (which is *not* necessarily 0 ft-lb).  This prevents compression/elongation of the springs inside the wrench, which may adversely affect accuracy.

Also, if tightening to a particular torque value, I choose a wrench such that the desired value is not at the top or bottom of the range.  Torque wrenches are less accurate close to the upper and lower limits of their range.  I have two torque wrenches, one that goes from 10 to 75 ft-lb, and another with an overlapping range from 50 to 200 ft-lb.  Between them, I can torque up just about anything I need.

This is another good point. Always stay within the middle 2/3 of the wrench's capability. For example, if you need to torque something to 100 ft/lbs, dont use a 10ft/lb - 100ft/lb torque wrench - move up to a 20-150ft/lb torque wrench.

For anyone that is interested in a good, heavy duty, USA made torque wrench, the Gearwrench 85054 1/2 dr. 20-250ft/lb model can be had for around $100:

71JJVqAFVWL.jpg

When they give that accuracy rating, IE + or - 2%, do they not account for the accuracy curve you guys are speaking of? This is the first I've heard this but it sounds like something I would do as well, use a T wrench with the target torque away from the outlying ranges. Thing is, I only have one wrench nowadays, unlike the two or three we had in school.

When they give that accuracy rating, IE + or - 2%.

I don't see how they could, if the torque wrench's response is nonlinear...but they may calculate the accuracy some special way.

This is another good point. Always stay within the middle 2/3 of the wrench's capability. For example, if you need to torque something to 100 ft/lbs, dont use a 10ft/lb - 100ft/lb torque wrench - move up to a 20-150ft/lb torque wrench.

For anyone that is interested in a good, heavy duty, USA made torque wrench, the Gearwrench 85054 1/2 dr. 20-250ft/lb model can be had for around $100:

71JJVqAFVWL.jpg

i got a cheap $15 one at harbor frieght works fine

i got a cheap $15 one at harbor frieght works fine

I have all three tq wrenches that HF offers. However, the highest torque setting the HF 1/2 dr it will go to is 150 ft/lbs. HF is fine for torquing lug nuts and I believe they are one of the best deals out there. However, the HF ones are no comparison to the USA made GW models in fit & finish, overall feel, and accuracy.

This is my torque wrench. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My torque wrench is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my car. My torque wrench, without me, is useless. Without my torque wrench, I am useless. I must ratchet my torque wrench true. I must torque well for my lug nut who is trying to defy me. I must defeat him before he defeats me. I will... My torque wrench and I know that what counts in war is not the bolts we torque, the noise of our hammer, nor the clicks we make. We know that it is the specifications that count. We will wrench... My torque wrench is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sounds and its handle. I will keep my torque wrench clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My torque wrench and I are the defenders of my garage. We are the masters of our bolts. We are the saviors of my car. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no busted bolts, but peace!       Okay i may have taken it to far. This is my torque wrench.  ATECH3FR250B.jpg

• Like 3

This is my torque wrench. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My torque wrench is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my car. My torque wrench, without me, is useless. Without my torque wrench, I am useless. I must ratchet my torque wrench true. I must torque well for my lug nut who is trying to defy me. I must defeat him before he defeats me. I will... My torque wrench and I know that what counts in war is not the bolts we torque, the noise of our hammer, nor the clicks we make. We know that it is the specifications that count. We will wrench... My torque wrench is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sounds and its handle. I will keep my torque wrench clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My torque wrench and I are the defenders of my garage. We are the masters of our bolts. We are the saviors of my car. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no busted bolts, but peace!       Okay i may have taken it to far. This is my torque wrench.  ATECH3FR250B.jpg

Is your torque wrench at your side every night when you go to bed?

I am a professional technician with a snap-on torque wrench that I rarely use. Only for mating surfaces like cylinder heads and front covers, or setting preload on suspension bushings(especially poly bushings). The only wheels I use a torque wrench on are my Racestars, but that's because offset washers suck and suck hard.

^ ASE Master certified means you have a built-in torque wrench, right? Those were the clicking noises you  kept making when tightening your wheels?

• Like 2

^ ASE Master certified means you have a built-in torque wrench, right? Those were the clicking noises you  kept making when tightening your wheels?

Gutenteit.

Lol. Universal torque spec applicable to all fasteners.

Calibrated every day on a few dozen broken bolts. :trololol-1: