Sign in to follow this  
buildingsleeper2

Brakes and how to do them right

Guys I have been in the service industry for over 15 years and one thing I learned about customers is they want it cheap and not done right.when you do your brake upgrades or even just replacing your stock brakes. Do it the right way.don't skimp on parts and don't go with cheap parts.make sure you grease the slider pins and put shims on the backs of the pads to cut down on noise. Do the job 100% or don't do it at all.Trust me on this. you do the job right the first time and you'll be problem free and have more fun with your car.

Believe me I've had more than a few conversations with customers(Mercedes owners mind you!) who try to pinch pennies when it comes to the safety of their cars. From tires to brakes and even oil leaks and SRS faults, they would rather spend their money at the mall than making sure their vehicle is safe to drive.

Believe me I've had more than a few conversations with customers(Mercedes owners mind you!) who try to pinch pennies when it comes to the safety of their cars. From tires to brakes and even oil leaks and SRS faults, they would rather spend their money at the mall than making sure their vehicle is safe to drive.

This is 'murica!  iPads are more important than stopping your car before you tailblast a semi which would clearly be the semi's fault no matter what because personal responsability is an absolutely absurd gesture.

that's why I hated customers asking if I could just put the pads on.I said sure and i can replace your new tires with tires that are worn out too.I refused to do a half *ssed job. it was my hands their lives were in and I couldn't live with myself if the work i did caused them to lose their lives.

At least management here would try to help on the total cost with discounts or coupons so at least the important work got done. But I can't help a person who comes in with bald tires and takes our replacement estimate to their local quick lube to throw on some el-cheapo Chinese tires that sound like dumptrucks rolling down the road. They don't have to worry about their worn tires anymore but damn we are talking about 3-4 year old cars that cost tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars brand new.

At least management here would try to help on the total cost with discounts or coupons so at least the important work got done. But I can't help a person who comes in with bald tires and takes our replacement estimate to their local quick lube to throw on some el-cheapo Chinese tires that sound like dumptrucks rolling down the road. They don't have to worry about their worn tires anymore but damn we are talking about 3-4 year old cars that cost tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars brand new.

sad to say that my brother is like that...

I use scotch brite roloc scrubbers on the front of hubs, around lugs, and both sides rotors if it's just a hub only replacement. I then put a light film of anti seize on these surfaces. I was taught this by someone from up north where rust/galvanic corrosion is a bad problem. I've been doing it this way since. That corrosion can make for difficult wheel/parts removal and non flush mounted wheels is what I learned.  I left that job as he lied about what my pay would be but I did pick that up before leaving lol.

Such bullshit.  I don't understand that hogwash.  Tires are the LAST thing that I want to cheap out on.  I felt good about spending $1000 on tires in a way because I knew I was doing the right thing for my car and the safety of others.