Sign in to follow this  
nastang87xx

Yep...guess what I did

I'm actually kinda sad that I didn't like my Kooks mufflers as much as I thought I would.  I think the Stainless Works system will finally fit the bill after several emails and videos back and forth from Stainless Works.

It's in several pieces.  The first piece is the front mufflers (hardly what I call a muffler...that's good!) that mate up to the mid pipe.  Second piece is to from the front mufflers and stops right before the axle.  The next piece is a true over axle bend.  After that are the tail mufflers and then the tips.  I'm going to just do this one on my back with the rear of the car jacked up.  My plan is to assemble the front mufflers and the runner pipes and leave them as one piece.  Snake the over axle bends over and let them sit there.  Then assemble the runner pipes to the over axle bends followed by the back mufflers. It'll definitely be a different type of experience but there's plenty of chances for getting the perfect adjustment.

• Like 2

Holy crap Nick ....VIDS A MUST , hope this works out for you 

Thanks Burke!

I'm going to make a full exhaust vid with the Kooks system too.  I MIGHT also do one with the factory axle backs as well so I have a compilation of videos that are mild (factory mufflers), moderate (Kooks mufflers), aggressive (Magnaflow Competition catback), and super aggressive (Stainless Works catback).  We'll see though... :)

• Like 1

Now all you have left to do is get a custom welded h-pipe like me:)

Yeah, about that: I'm almost wondering if my current X pipe could be partially salvaged for a project like that.  Reason why I ask is because I'd hate to waste such quality metal.  I'll also see how the Stainless Works system sounds.  I have a feeling if I go H pipe, it might get blatty from all indications.  BUT, only the ear will tell!

I had the Stainless Works long tubes and matching O/R X-pipe on my '11 5.0.  They were very nice pieces, looks like they put out quality stuff.

I'm excited for it and to get some volume back too.  My Kooks axle backs will be on sale within the month.

Damn...Wish i was in the market for exhaust right now 

Damn...Wish i was in the market for exhaust right now 

One of the best axle backs for long tubes probably if you're trying to keep it under control.  I'd saythe volume of my whole setup was equivilant to when I had just the Magnaflow Competition catback.  It's only now do I really realize how stupid loud the Magnaflow Comps really were.  Good lord...

How would you compare the Kooks to the Borla S-Types? With the Pypes mid mufflers it is ok at 10% throttle or less but once I open her up it gets real loud real quick. I'm considering GT500 quad tip mufflers right now but I would have to trade as I don't have the cash to buy them outright then sell the Borlas.

How would you compare the Kooks to the Borla S-Types? With the Pypes mid mufflers it is ok at 10% throttle or less but once I open her up it gets real loud real quick. I'm considering GT500 quad tip mufflers right now but I would have to trade as I don't have the cash to buy them outright then sell the Borlas.

Borlas are definitely louder than the kooks , my sports were loud as fack with just the O/R Mid pipe, added the race bullets and was still louder than my brothers car and he had the kooks / steeda axelbacks and O/R pipe with no res. If your trying to quiet it down and still sound good then the Kooks are a good option. I would like to hear the JBA's i got with some LT's since these are more quiet than even the gt500's but i think the kooks would sound clean with your setup. 

Borlas are definitely louder than the kooks , my sports were loud as fack with just the O/R Mid pipe, added the race bullets and was still louder than my brothers car and he had the kooks / steeda axelbacks and O/R pipe with no res. If your trying to quiet it down and still sound good then the Kooks are a good option. I would like to hear the JBA's i got with some LT's since these are more quiet than even the gt500's but i think the kooks would sound clean with your setup. 

That's the exact description I would give the Kooks axle back: CLEAN CLEAN sound.  Very controlled and controllable.  Hit it and it's loud.  Putt putt around and it's civilized, almost mature.

I was considering getting the Borla ATAK axle back.  But I wanted something completely bonkers.  Ok...maybe the ATAK with long tubes is bonkers...

I was considering getting the Borla ATAK axle back.  But I wanted something completely bonkers.  Ok...maybe the ATAK with long tubes is bonkers...

definitely 

I've been contemplating getting the x-pipe on my car but I don't know if it will just be to raspy. Right now as it sits it has a nice growl but it doesn't sound like any 5.0 I've heard before...don't know if thats good or bad hahahaha

I've been contemplating getting the x-pipe on my car but I don't know if it will just be to raspy. Right now as it sits it has a nice growl but it doesn't sound like any 5.0 I've heard before...don't know if thats good or bad hahahaha

Few things to consider: remember that rasp is actually turbulance that creates distortion of a particular frequency range.  That's why the rule used to be H pipes for chambered, X pipes for straigh through.  But this isn't the 70's and 80's anymore.  Some companies like Borla and Corsa have such control over the frequencies that distortion doesn't even happen because of the way their muffler designs have been developed.  The design just doesn't allow it due to cancellation or frequency blending or other techniques.  That's why the Borla ATAK system sounds so clean even at stupid loud levels.  The S-Types and Touring models don't share the same technology as ATAK which is why Peter's car got so out of control.  Same with my Maggy system, granted it sounded really good for some reason.

But enough of that, the Pype Bombs are basically like a microphone for your engine for certain frequency ranges.  With those types of designs, the less sound turbulance, the better, THEORETICALLY and assuming you're wanting a smooth deep tone.  If you want a bassy boomy burble that could potentially get slighly choppy, stick with the H.  Based on the design, I'd consider an X pipe but that's also according to my ear.

• Like 1