Datalogging 101 when using an SCT X3/SF3 handheld tuner

1. Go to SCT's website download their device updating software:http://www.sctflash.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=25&nav=0
  2. Download and install the Livelink Gen 2 software:http://sctflash.com/LiveLink.php
  3. Connect your SCT device to your laptop computer and update the firmware using the device update software
  4. Open the Livelink program and follow the onscreen instructions while inside your vehicle
  5. Select the PIDS(parameters) from the list of available options, ask your tuner which PIDS he needs to see
  6. Start the datalogging process

With the SCT connected to your vehicle's OBD port and the Livelink program active, you are now logging all parameters you selected. You can do this simply to log your idle, part throttle cruise, or even WOT operation. For full throttle and high speed logging it is highly suggested you do this on a dynomometer for safety purposes.

The most common parameters to log:

Short term fuel trim bank 1&2

Long term fuel trim bank 1&2

Lambse bank 1&2

Measured AFR bank 1&2

MAF Frequency

MAF flow rate #/min

Knock sensor    

Spark Advance V2

Throttle angle actual

Throttle angle desired

RPM

...ok, so I hook everything up and then do what? meaning, if I'm in the track, do one or two passes without stopping the datalog? or just get on a lonely stretch of the highway (legal speeds  :victory: ) and do WOT pulls? on what gears?

You can record full 1/4 mile runs but I would stop the log right after the pass. You don't want the files to become too large to e-mail to your tuner. A typical 30 second log runs about 2-3 megabytes. If you are doing a pull on a lonely highway you can run from 2,500-7500rpm in one gear, a higher gear means a higher load and better data but also higher speeds so take safety into consideration.

All of my WOT logs were done on a dyno in 5th gear from about 40-165mph. It is also plenty useful to log your idle and part throttle cruise.

• Like 1

You can record full 1/4 mile runs but I would stop the log right after the pass. You don't want the files to become too large to e-mail to your tuner. A typical 30 second log runs about 2-3 megabytes. If you are doing a pull on a lonely highway you can run from 2,500-7500rpm in one gear, a higher gear means a higher load and better data but also higher speeds so take safety into consideration.

All of my WOT logs were done on a dyno in 5th gear from about 40-165mph. It is also plenty useful to log your idle and part throttle cruise.

Well said! Nice to see knowledgeable and accurate instructions. I'm still learning MAF but the load of a different gear using Speed Density EFI would change the a/f noticeably. I had a MAP sensor to look at and, of course, that would change making a pull in a different gear.

Did a whole bunch of data login yesterday, fun fun!! Nothing jumps out that I could tell....any specific values that I should keep an eye for? 

The second post I made has a list of PID's that Gus@Steeda asked to see when I sent them my logs.

The KS in the picture is pulling 4 degrees of timing briefly just after 11 seconds, and 2 degrees for a little longer starting at 12.  At 16, the KS adds a degree of advance and a second degree just before 17 seconds.  Overall, everything looks fine, although the ECT bouncing around like that looks a little odd.

By the way, something does look a bit alarming - the "Max" KS is +10, which means pulling 10 degrees of timing.  That's massive and it's not a good situation, at least not as far as I know.  A few degrees once in a while is ok, but the factory cal limits it to 6 degrees, so 10 is stretching it a bit lot.

The KS in the picture is pulling 4 degrees of timing briefly just after 11 seconds, and 2 degrees for a little longer starting at 12.  At 16, the KS adds a degree of advance and a second degree just before 17 seconds.  Overall, everything looks fine, although the ECT bouncing around like that looks a little odd.

By the way, something does look a bit alarming - the "Max" KS is +10, which means pulling 10 degrees of timing.  That's massive and it's not a good situation, at least not as far as I know.  A few degrees once in a while is ok, but the factory cal limits it to 6 degrees, so 10 is stretching it a bit lot.

...good pointers! thanks a lot for the reply, this is the feedback I was looking for...

Glad you are here.

...2014 GT500???

Thanks! and yes, I concluded that if I kept on upgrading the car as I was, after a few more years I'd eventually end up with most of the stuff that comes stock on a GT500, so I took a shortcut.

Glad you are here.

...2014 GT500???

Thanks! and yes, I concluded that if I kept on upgrading the car as I was, after a few more years I'd eventually end up with most of the stuff that comes stock on a GT500, so I took a shortcut.

:shock:

I notice the SCT X3 has on device datalogging. As long as I'm logging 20 PIDs or less, is there any difference in data quality vs using a laptop? Also, any good online tutorials on using the Livelink II program? Notice it has a lot of options, but SCTs website lacks instructions (or I'm just not seeing them). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice the SCT X3 has on device datalogging. As long as I'm logging 20 PIDs or less, is there any difference in data quality vs using a laptop? Also, any good online tutorials on using the Livelink II program? Notice it has a lot of options, but SCTs website lacks instructions (or I'm just not seeing them). Thanks!

I've never used the built-in datalogging feature in the SCT X3 itself because I'd rather get as much information as possible and use the full Livelink software. The software itself is very easy to get started in my opinion when following the on-screen instructions. Have your tuner give you the parameters they want to see and select those in the list of pids before starting the datalog.

I've never used the built-in datalogging feature in the SCT X3 itself because I'd rather get as much information as possible and use the full Livelink software. The software itself is very easy to get started in my opinion when following the on-screen instructions. Have your tuner give you the parameters they want to see and select those in the list of pids before starting the datalog.

Thanks. I've only done a stock tune log with the on device logging. Some reason the graphs don't seem to change when viewing different PIDs in Livelink, so in wondering if the data was actually recorded. I'll give the on device logging a few tries with the tune installed. My laptop is a Mac so if there are issues, I may need to get an inexpensive laptop.

Put in the instructions do not use a windows 8 based laptop because it and SCT cannot stand each other. I've had nothing but issues with windows 8 and two different sct devices so it is not hardware.

Bringing this back from the dead because I used the search function!

I just sent out my first datalog to my tuner. Excited to see what comes back if anything.

Well I need to read this thread myself because I'll need to send a few back to MPT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I assume you have to have the laptop in the car, run the data log on the SCT tuner and then plug it back into the laptop and transfer the data log before making another data log?

I have the laptop connected to my tuner and the tuner connected to my car. I just run livestream program and save it right away. I do not go back and forth because I did 2 minute idle, 5 minute cruise, 1st gear WOT and 2nd gear WOT. 

I assume you have to have the laptop in the car, run the data log on the SCT tuner and then plug it back into the laptop and transfer the data log before making another data log?

I have the laptop connected to my tuner and the tuner connected to my car. I just run livestream program and save it right away. I do not go back and forth because I did 2 minute idle, 5 minute cruise, 1st gear WOT and 2nd gear WOT. 

Exactly, have both connected at the same time to ensure you have the exact PID's your tuner requested in the log. Better to have a second person with you to hold the laptop and work the controls while you drive. Even better to do it on a dyno for safety reasons.