wicked93gs

1966 Mustang 3.7L V6 swap

22 hours ago, Unclenard said:

Looks like it was delivered today.  Let me know if there are any issues.

20200324_122539_zpso6gj8n3a.jpg

So far so good. I think I am going to go with the tap and drill method. I am confident the passenger side hole can't hit anything....as for the driver's side hole, I doubt it will hit any water passages or oil galleys either(assuming a reasonable depth) I cant imagine they would run differently in the ecoboost head vs the cyclone...and worst case scenario, even if I drilled into one, I could just install some thread sealant on the bolt securing the crossover down and it wouldn't be a problem....people plug oil galley holes with bolts/plus all the time in various head conversions without issue. The only issue I can see is getting the passenger side hole started correctly might be a bit of a challenge...since it falls on the slope past the machined surface as you can see in the picture....but that is the beauty of transfer punches...I highly recommend buying a set for anyone who does a lot of fab work...one of my favorite tools.

• Like 2

On a different front:

20200329_115406_zpsvmzec4do.jpg

20200329_115415_zpsjw6qdhgf.jpg

20200329_115423_zps9zvwkwwk.jpg

Finally got the car stripped down to go on the rotisserie...everything except the suspension anyway since I will probably have to roll it around a little more first before removing the suspension

• Like 2

20200411_110742_zpsbdsxprcf.jpg

Did a little work prepping what remains of the trans tunnel support, trimmed it down and will seal it up, maximizing the room in the tunnel...the MT82 is a fairly large bodied trans....also ended up having to notch the bottom portion for clearance around the header collector on that side.

20200411_123102_zpsxehxbv2o.jpg

Then I got bored and did some work on the velocity stacks......Here we have a v-band flange welded to the bellmouth. This allows me a lot of versatility in velocity stack design...I can swap out longer velocity stacks in just a few minutes, I can bolt on a true air box, or a filtered setup in the same amount of time...or I can even bolt on a box built for boost...v-band flanges and gaskets are awesome like that....but these stacks are visible...had to get rid of the weld bead, but I didnt have a lathe....so I built a backyard substitute:

20200411_123140_zps6mleebyu.jpg

20200411_123215_zpsjvs0qeqp.jpg

Amazing what you can do with a drill, a chisel and some sandpaper no?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wicked93gs said:

Amazing what you can do with a drill, a chisel and some sandpaper no?

Nice, I have had to do some unconventional things like this before.  Do I buy some part or tool that I will probably never or rarely need again or find another way to do it?

I find myself in more and more need of a lathe as time goes on, but that purchase is still months down the road at the least, so this will do for the time being.

20200413_151956_zpsqpybu7jr.jpg

This gives an idea of what the final stack will look like...I do still need to cut new flanges on one end and cut the tubing down and flare it on the v-band side...but in general it will look something close to this...a little bulk and industrial looking with the bulky v-band clamp, but I can live with that.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:31 PM, wicked93gs said:

This gives an idea of what the final stack will look like...I do still need to cut new flanges on one end and cut the tubing down and flare it on the v-band side...but in general it will look something close to this...a little bulk and industrial looking with the bulky v-band clamp, but I can live with that.

The versatility definitely makes it worth it.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the way it looks.  Nice job.

The versatility definitely makes it worth it.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the way it looks.  Nice job.

Agreed 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really having a challenge trying to make sure every runner is the exact same length and height(which will be critical for later air-filter box design) before final welding. I have a system worked out, but its slow going. Also having difficulty flaring the ends of the tubing...may well end up taking them to an exhaust shop to flare...the only reason I haven't yet is I need a trumpet flare, not the typical exhaust pipe flare....and so far my pipe shaper hasnt had much effect in flaring...mainly because the pipes are curved and unlike a straight pipe I can just use a press, have to use a sledge.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, wicked93gs said:

Stuff and things almost finished.

Sweet, can't wait to see it running.

20200522_175815_zpsmwso5igg.jpg

At this point, I think this car is a rigid as it can get without a full roll cage(and I dont want a cage...want to feel like I am driving a vintage car, not a race car).

• Like 1