Bananana

Welcome Project Gramps, 50 year old pony.....

What color should I paint her  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Select a paint choice

• (Original) Medium Blue Poly
    • Black
    • Candy Apple Red
    • Grabber Blue
    • Grabber Green
    • Grabber Orange
    • Wimbeldon White
    • Royal Maroon [Shelby Mustang Carry Over Color]
    • Black Jade Poly. [Shelby Mustang Carry Over Color]
    • Current color like Magnetic Gray, Kona Blue, etc.

So because I cannot help myself and the deal was too good, I have a side project. 1970 Mustang coupe. It is an original 289 auto.

What sold me on it, its a one owner, all parts are present, the entire under belly is also done already :) And $500 and it was flat bedded free.......

862cdbd5b540c8d1b1bdd0c5e98728a8.jpgc7990d65b06006a11f7ee76cfe32d78f.jpg2ff5fb9cc69e9f7332df37a6068700a4.jpgce1e4a151a21623148195e65d074c07a.jpge8585f113d9bbf76ca631b3de7310b29.jpg6a1ba546f3b0299587166bfd6814ef7a.jpgc90ec544438d8e2c15933188d19f6e82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Looks like a fun project - and underside done already gets you a long way to the finish.

I thought that the 1970 had a 302, and the 289 wasn't available after 1968?

Looks like a fun project - and underside done already gets you a long way to the finish.
I thought that the 1970 had a 302, and the 289 wasn't available after 1968?
Yeah my bad people keep saying 289 to me today now its on the brain its an F code 302

Well I'm glad it wasn't me memory that was faulty then!

• Haha 1

Well I spend the better part of Sunday morning going through the car and all the parts in it.  Some items to note.

After emptying the car out completely and laying out everything.  Almost everything is present.  Car specifics below:

1970 Base coupe

Original color was light blue, with a white landau top with white interior and black dash pad.  No center console

302 2v V8, C4 automatic on the floor, power steering and factory air conditioning, but manual brakes.  No rear defrost.  Factory AM/FM radio.

Items that are missing, drivers door skin, and gas tank. head liner (many fasteners are missing or unknown) No Windshield.  

Items I know need work (non functioning or partially and needs repair) Drivers side rear quarter window not hooked up to the regulator, passenger side Window does not go up all the way, it appears too but about 1/2" too low.  

Items on my list of things to do.  (Already sourced all parts)

Since the car is already stripped down, I am pulling the entire wiring out of it and replacing it with an upgraded setup with newer fuse box, and upgraded wires to support halogen lights, power windows (not going power but options) fog lights, rear defrost, etc.  This not only will remove any unknowns in regards to wires that have degraded, will give me an updated fuse box, and relocate it out of the way of the headers.  Nothing to remove to pull all the wiring and also enables me to tuck the wires out of site for a cleaner engine bay since they extended a lot of the lines.  Also provides support for one wire alternator and solid state distributor and ignition.

I will throw out the existing Heat/AC setup, the condenser for the ac was damaged when someone piled stuff on it.  I will go with a Vintage Air complete stage II setup.  It is cost effective and an upgrade and again since the car is empty its the right time to do it.

I am also toying around with a new sub frame that removes the shock towers completely, provides a new coil type suspension and modular/coyote motor mounts.  F150 5.0s are easy to come buy and are relatively inexpensive.   Lots of options if I decide to go that route.

I am going to just replace the passenger side door instead of repairing the one hole that it has down low, I want it to be new.  There also was a repair done on the drivers rear quarter panel, it is fine, its all metal but they could have done a better job with the panel, It is not quite flush and looks like it would require a lot of filling.  I would rather purchase another quarter panel and have my guy install it proper.  The least amount of filler needed makes for a better structure as far as I am concerned.  

The interior needs a fix as the seats are done, and I am no fan of white seats, the entire interior can be replaced for under $2000 that is a new head liner, carpets, dash pad, door skins, pillars, etc.  The rear deck is in good shape and can be re-covered.  I can even add a factory center console very easily.  

I am going to clean up the engine and trans and get them ready to put back in the car as is, since I do not know the status of these parts but they are all there I will do a refresh, pull the valve covers, oil pan, etc.  Check things out.  It is a good little motor, can easily drop a mild cam in it, refreshed 351 heads on there and a 4 barrel carb on it and squeeze out a decent 300 horses without breaking the bank.  There are just too many things that could be done.  However I am planning on one of two power plants going forward, if I stay with the SBF setup I may purchase a 347 stroker motor and beefed up TCI trans to go with it, if I decide I am doing the coyote then I will source a wrecker first so I can get lots of parts (DS, rear end interior seats etc.) just see what I can do or fabricate to work.  It would be cool to transfer an 11 to 14 drive train and interior resto mod style...  I am not afraid to do anything with this car, its just a base coupe, not going to hurt its value.

The very first thing I am going to do is wash out the floors in side the car, dry them, and paint them with a black epoxy sealer, then fill the plugs that they did not put the rubber plugs back in.  I will see my body guy about the roof panel repairs that are the only on the leading front edge, and will need to source a roof panel replacement, oddly enough those are not that easy on the coupe for some reason the fast backs are more available.

Yeah I am actually glad to see it in such good shape.  Makes the decision to take care of it easier.

• Like 1

and so it begins.... I got the Haynes repair for the torque specs etc. It is by far not the go to manual unless you just need to know how many quarts etc. BUT the parts illustration manual is a must have..a5b4157610fe7a23c3a7a3c9f6f3ce0d.jpg

Ordered the Master body fastener kit from AMK which has every fastener for all body panels, latches, supports etc.  Such as center grille support, fendors, door hinges and handles, trim, etc.

I also ordered the replacement passenger side door shell, and a covercraft block it 380 50 years edition car cover which is sorta fitting for the 1970 😃

Floor pan plugs should arrive soon as well.

I have my buddy Sully getting me the replacement complete wiring harness and fuse/relay box for the car so I can pull all the wiring.  I will be picking up a media blaster this weekend and some body supplies so I can clean up the roof and parts that were stripped down to metal but not rust prepped so the car can sustain some outside time and not rot over the next 2 years of this project.  I will be using the spare old door I am replacing for practice work 😃  

I also ordered the most difficult part to locate the section of roof I need to patch the front leading edge of the roof in front of the windshield.  Because Ford produced so so many coupes, there is a huge supply of them in the salvage yards so no one makes reproduction roof panels for coupes past like 1967, you have to get them from a salvage yard and at a cost.  I am only getting a small section however so I am saving a little money...  Either way the old girl is getting the treatment...

re-ordered master body fastener kit, CJs had them on back order...

I bought a media blaster, 6" DA air sander, lots of sand paper and media for blaster, will be reducing the roof to rubble next week lol....

• Like 2

Passenger door arrived, and as the 50/50 chance gods have foreseen it, the door was damaged in shipping... leading edge of door was landed on during shipping causing a slight buckle. I probably can be repaired I imagine but a lot of massaging would need to be done to keep it from buckling elsewhere.

Cjs told me to toss the door they shipped out a replacement..d78eeea13f7faaef9462cd1d770a781d.jpgcfefefde3350eee4873e02e7fbde90a4.jpg

• Like 1

AMK master fastener kit is in for the body, still waiting for the interior one to arrive...0920a0d35b94c735f096647542433ab0.jpg

Replacement door arrived safe and sound, and the outdoor car cover.... No more boat tarp!995c027e241f3876dbfdd38e8fa15698.jpgc88c5d8711f548e40cbd798bf5b8547c.jpg

New fenders on order, the drivers side was ok and done but the passenger side had pinholes in top leading edge, and a sizable amount of rust on the lower front section just behind the tire.  I really am not trying to weld this thing 😃  There are tons of patch work that was done in the rear that will need massaging.  So I elected to replace both fenders to keep the car consistent.  

So the total amount of panels I am replacing are 3 and patching the front edge of the roof with a donor panel *already ordered* and re-patching the passenger rear quarter I do not feel they did a good job so I ordered another small panel to replace that work.

They unfortunately did not seal what they sanded so I find myself doing clean up work before I can start on the mechanical.  I need to remove/por 15 a lot of areas they left exposed or did not use an epoxy primer sealer so I can see the stuff coming through what they did do....

Roof cut just arrived so I can square away the front edge, also have the entire support beam which will make this easier to do.

Also replacement quarter patch came in..4c76aea5dd5dcadc45ffc6f4b9ee3a15.jpg2b6bb5a7f0b19c46f87d99d682e749f3.jpg

I have a body guy coming over tomorrow to help me map out a plan on getting the body situated till paint which will be a while.  I do not weld so I am outsourcing to one of my buddy Chris's guys from his resto shop, Chris is the guy who painted my 11 vert.

Hopefully we start getting some normal weather soon I have to start stripping the rest of the car down before I send it off to be blasted.  On a good note, its in better shape than I originally thought, my body guy is going to take care of getting the whole car in epoxy primary as soon as its done being blasted so we can see what needs what.

Even though I am in no way trying to do some sort of concourse resto here, I want the base of the vehicle to be solid regardless so this is one of those expenditures that needs to be done to ensure no surprises down the road.  The previous owner did not do anyone any favors with not sealing this after they removed much of the paint so it adds some time to it.

Moved my party canopy over gramps so I have a dryer work space and storage.

302afb0b04e18cedda5abebc0982be09.jpg

Also finally organized my tools since I have no garage and need them mobile, got a 5 drawer cart... (there is a 5th its under not opened, I swearz..)

cdef0a750a5473a05fc1ff7dcb92198a.jpg

• Like 1

So a week ago Thursday before I was starting to do the mechanical tear down of gramps we had a storm that took out my canopy car port thingy...

So I spend the entire day Saturday at home depot buying supplies to re-inforce and rebuild my cover for the pony....  Like clockwork the 30" tie downs I ordered from Home Depot previously that were supposed to be in the 22nd, 23rd, the day before the storm did not come in and they told me it would on the 29th?  Had I had them on time things would have turned out fine.  Lo and behold, after looking at the tracking from FedX they were sitting there the whole time, they had given them to another customer......  

So anyway 140 self tapping screws later, an entire roll of gorilla duct tape, 15' of 1" electrical conduit pipe, 6 u clamps, 6 1.5" PVC pipe and Tees, and 6 couplers, 30' of electrical square mounting rails I have rebuilt her, made her stronger, faster.... she is the $85 dollar, million canopy lol....

It is not coming down unless I get some 100mph winds.  I also probably should have installed the front and rear panels but I had no clue we had a storm coming so.....  lol

So weather permitting this Saturday I can start on my list..

After removing the front clip its very apparent why there is so much body work on the drivers door....

49c72230511982021269b85add756870.jpg

They cut the cowl and attempted to mate a section from another car instead of replacing the cowl as a unit and the lower portion. Afterward the plastered bondo over it (painted black). So it rotted at the seam as seen in the pic above, unlike the passenger side which is mint for its age.

60c54b07c7c4ef980362b1194f4ebacc.jpg82c2077d5eb280a0899ba3a01bdb0077.jpg

• Like 1