NJDevil

American Racing & Borla

Hello all. I'm looking for some input on a exhaust system for my 2012 v6 vert. I'm leaning towards American Racing headers with catted H-pipes and Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust. I can't seem to find anything on YouTube with this setup on a 3.7! Do any of you have this setup?

It all really depends on your end goals, power making, sound, and sound level.  If your going for power but not going forced induction I would go with shorty headers over long tubes, you get far more usable power gains where you want them over the long tubes which pushes the power band in the upper range over shorties, but they really shine with forced induction.

As far as sound goes its all preference, if you want volume then the Ataks will get you that in spades especially with any headers, and no resonators.  

My setup on my 11 vert, I ran like 4 different setups on my 3.7 till I finally ended up with BBK shorties, stock cats, GT mid pipes with factory resonators (which when you cut the flanges off the mid pipes is the same diameter as the stock 3.7 cat pipe, just flared the ends slipped them over and welded. (This gets you a larger diameter exhaust setup 2.75" all the way to the rear and the ability to bolt on any GT axle backs as if it was factory which gets you more muffler options like Corsa sports etc.)  Then I went with GT500 mufflers from Ford Racing.

Sound was super clean, good deep idle burble but hard to tell if its a V6 or V8 at idle, good volume under load but not annoying.  The full load sound was so good, not boomy, did not sound like a 370Z it was crazy clean and tuned right.  No rasp, no drone.

I always suggest this last setup because it was that good.  Now as far as videos go with the exception of the headers any video on youtube with the ataks will be relatively the same, just a hair deeper with headers and a smidge louder if that is even a thing.  However until you hear it in person, it may not sound like you would expect it too.  

Bananana:

Thanks, those are some good points that you made! Do you have a sound clip of your exhaust system? I was under the impression that the long tubes with the "H" pipe would make a deeper, throatier sound. I don't have plans for a supercharger (you never know) it's an daily driver (with some attitude). Making a modern version of a early 70's Mach 1 (sort of). So I'm looking for that classic muscle car growl!

You will get a deeper sound with any headers either or, the difference will be a hair more volume.  The GT mid pipes is an H-pipe design if I remember with dual bottle resonators. 

I do on my youtube channel you would want to go back to about about 5 rows down my vids you see four listed as 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Gt/Gt500 exhaust Pt1 through Prt4  Part 3 is a decent outside clip if you can get past that silly street light buzzing which I did not count on but gets you a good idea of its sound.  and if you go to the Mustang 50th video I am driving on Charlotte Motor speedway at the mustang 50th anniversary that is the same exhaust setup...

https://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d/videos?view_as=subscriber

Welcome to the forum, and ARH are great if you go to headers, as said the shorty's will suffice. I like Hooker's but they are pricey.

There is a company developing a "Supercharger" for the 3.7 Cyclone motor close to release, can't recall the company name.

Roanstang:

Thanks for your input. As far as the supercharger goes, I know that ProCharger makes one for the 3.7, but I wasn't aware that another company is in the process. Exhaust and headers are another issue! So many good options and GREAT opinions!! I'm sure that I'll end up trying different combinations ($$$) until I find what I'm looking for. Pretty sure I'm leaning towards Roush axle backs, BBK shorty headers, MAC pro chamber mid pipes and either stock cats or Pypes high flow ceramic cats. It will probably be trial and error!

I run bbk shorties and ataks. It’s a great setup imo, keeps me Cali legal, and honestly I think it sounds the best. Once you go catless on the 3.7 it turns into rasp city, and the few HP you gain from going catless just isn’t worth it to me from an environmental and sound standpoint.

I don’t think I have any fantastic clips of drive by passed, but I have lots of autox and track videos which should help give you an idea; although it sounds louder and better in real life cuz video just never does it justice. The mic just can’t deal with the sound properly. Also, I’ll slap a dyno chart in there so you can see the curves. Granted, I am a fully bolted 3.7 minus being catless running in Cali 91 fuel. But, point is, the shorties along with ported manifolds really do give you that torque curve that is desirable for just about every type of situation.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EACShootemUP

Wow, I need to change my YouTube handle, shootemup is a way old handle lol. That has me cracking up lol. Anyways, should be a few useful clips in there. Autox vids will be the best bet as the wind noise doesn’t get overwhelming.

fe8d2c8444ea041b9352d4b9df1e4755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIGISTX:

Thanks for your input as well! Ported manifold is definitely on my to do list. Probably from "Auto Mafia" as I've heard good reviews of their work. So far I've installed BBK'S CAI and throttle body. I plan on getting custom tunes from MPT because of their good reviews as well. Everyone seems to have their favorites and good arguments for their choices. I have a LONG "wish list" (don't we all) of upgrades which gets fine tuned as time goes by. I hope that I win the lottery soon...lol.

• Like 1

LIGISTX:
Thanks for your input as well! Ported manifold is definitely on my to do list. Probably from "Auto Mafia" as I've heard good reviews of their work. So far I've installed BBK'S CAI and throttle body. I plan on getting custom tunes from MPT because of their good reviews as well. Everyone seems to have their favorites and good arguments for their choices. I have a LONG "wish list" (don't we all) of upgrades which gets fine tuned as time goes by. I hope that I win the lottery soon...lol.

MPT is 100% the way to go!

• Like 2

Thanks, yeah I haven't heard any negative comments about MPT's custom tunes. Any recommendations on porting manifolds? Auto Mafia Racing ports and ships new manifolds for about $500.

Thanks, yeah I haven't heard any negative comments about MPT's custom tunes. Any recommendations on porting manifolds? Auto Mafia Racing ports and ships new manifolds for about $500.

I have been out of the game for years no. I have no idea who does it, or more importantly who does a good job.

MPT email support is spectacular (at least was when I was still datalogging and getting revisions) so I would say shoot them an email and ask who they recommend. I had mine done by lone wolf from this forum but he is many years out of the game. I can say tho, they made the largest difference of any single thing except the tune.

1 hour ago, NJDevil said:

I found Lone Wolf Performance on-line earlier this week...is that a different company?

Its probably him, and if it is, im like 99.9% sure he isn't doing them anymore.