Sign in to follow this  
LIGISTX

Water Pump

Looks like I’m in need of a water pump as it seems to have sprayed a bit of fluid on the block at a track day yesterday. Also, if I try and shake the pulley there is a bit of play, so I assume the bearing is going bad? I have never tried to shake/wiggle one before so I’m not sure what normal is lol.

But, what part numbers am I looking for? I see BR3Z-8501-D, BR3Z-8501-N, and then a bunch of gaskets. Anyone know what all I likely need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a Coyote waterpump because the bearings failed like you mentioned and it started leaking out of the shaft. Made a horrible noise as well. Only one gasket IIRC. Not sure the differences between Coyote and Cyclone but the job was exceedingly easy. I recommend getting a new belt as well because coolant spraying on the belt and contaminate it leading to increased belt noise in the future. 

I've done a Coyote waterpump because the bearings failed like you mentioned and it started leaking out of the shaft. Made a horrible noise as well. Only one gasket IIRC. Not sure the differences between Coyote and Cyclone but the job was exceedingly easy. I recommend getting a new belt as well because coolant spraying on the belt and contaminate it leading to increased belt noise in the future. 

Yea it certainly seems simple, it’s just right there on the front of the block. New belt as well, I figure I’ll replace both belts while I’m in there.

Also the noise. So... I started hearing a what I can only describe as fluid or beating noise, I can’t quit put my finger on it but I started noticing it maybe 1k miles ago and after the track it got worse/louder. I thought maybe it was just hearing the oil pump more now than I have a radiator, thus oil lines and it’s not all contained in the block. But now I am thinking it’s the water pump making the noise. O I should point out the noise goes with rpm. But once in past about 2.5-3k I can’t hear it over intake and exhaust noises.

The failed Coyote pump(and every other failed water pump I've replaced) made a grinding/whirring noise.

• Like 1

The failed Coyote pump(and every other failed water pump I've replaced) made a grinding/whirring noise.

I guess whirring seems correct. I don’t hear grinding, but I do hear a whirring... like I said it was sublet enough where I thought maybe this is just oil pump noise now that there is a way to hear that via the added lines. But, seeing as it seems to have spat up a bit of fluid from the pulley area, and that noise seems to have gotten worse, I am left to believe it’s definitely water pump time.

I don't know for certain but I highly doubt you would be able to hear the oil pump given its size and location inside the engine, unless it has failed and your engine is toast.

If you haven't done the replacement line from the coolant tank to the pump with the newer design, then make sure you do that too.  I believe the part number is ER3Z-8276-A.

• Thanks 1

If you haven't done the replacement line from the coolant tank to the pump with the newer design, then make sure you do that too.  I believe the part number is ER3Z-8276-A.

I have, but thanks for watching out kolobok_smile.png