Sign in to follow this  
JimC

Back in a Mustang

I picked it up 2 weeks ago, but waited to reveal it because of an event this past weekend. Traded my SHO on a 2017 EcoBoost convertible, certified pre-owned.

Originally I was going to get a 2018 coupe in royal crimson with the performance package. But after we spent a couple of weeks going back and forth on the deal Scenic Motors in Mt. Airy decided to play games when I called to let them know I was on the way to pick it up - the sales guy said "great, see you in a bit, and just a heads up, but the sales manager redid the numbers this morning" and suddenly the deal was getting more expensive. I told him "I'm not playing this game" and he claimed it wasn't a game, they just missed some things on the fax they had sent me just the day before. Told him to fix it and he said to give him a few minutes. He called back and it still wasn't the same deal so I walked away. Not playing that game where they think that I have already completed the deal in my head and bought the car so now they can screw with me.

My wife said "let's go to another dealer" and just after she said it Asheboro Ford texted me to ask if I was still interested. And 45 minutes later we were on the lot looking at cars. They had a GT that I told my wife I could "settle" for even though it didn't have all the options I wanted. We walked inside to go over the numbers and inside the showroom was this white convertible. My wife said "you need another convertible". Didn't have all the options I wanted (like performance package and navigation) but it went home with us.

Guess I have to post pictures later. I thought that they were on this computer but apparently I never downloaded them on this one.

• Like 1

The only mod so far is to put the MRT hood struts on it. I decided to do a superstripe on it, like I had on my black convertible - this one will be anthracite gray to tie in the wheels. I need to get some drag radials for it; my old set of Race Star Dark Stars won't fit because the offset is different (so a nice set of 15x8 wheels with Mickey Thompsons on them and 17x4.5 front skinnies will be going up for sale).

Need to upgrade the inter-cooler. The IAT's were running 15 - 20 degrees over ambient at the track this weekend. I will replace the exhaust from the cats back. Since North Carolina has inspection, Scott at MRT checked out what they look at and said that I need to keep the stock cats to pass.

20180504_123656.jpg

20180504_123708(0).jpg

20180506_115853.jpg

20180512_124714.jpg

20180513_112355.jpg

20180518_074904.jpg

20180518_074912_1526645934474.jpg

20180519_142602_1526758718679.jpg

20180519_142710_1526758716184.jpg

• Like 2

Last weekend I managed to run 13.5 and 13.6 all day with 1.91 for the 60'. This past weekend though I could not get any traction and ran 13.8 with 2.05 for 60'. So definitely need some drag radials for traction. As soon as I got into the throttle the rear tires started to spin. I even sat the line and built boost then just lifted my foot off the brake and the tires started spinning.

I did stiffer springs, adjustable toe links and new vertical links and it helped keeping my tires planted.  I was thinking about doing the cradle lockout (three point brace on the diff) but I am not sure if that is something you can use on the vert as it already has some rear bracing in place.  I am surprised it did not have the strut tower brace??

Very nice I am still missing my Vert.  Grats on the new ride. 

• Thanks 1

I was surprised that there wasn't a strut tower brace on this one. It was on my 2013. There is a firewall brace though going from each strut tower back to the firewall.

Yup, I noticed that, you can tell its the full brace because it actually bolts to the passenger side strut tower, where the fake plastic one does not have a passenger side mount.

Maybe they felt the 2.3L was so much lighter than the 3.7/5.0 that it had enough bracing with the Kbrace.  I however even in my coupe bought a strut brace and it made a huge difference on turn in.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2018 at 9:12 AM, J.R. Bob Dobbs said:

What didn't you like about the SHO?  Just curious, there's probably an awd sedan in my future at some point.

It wasn't that I didn't like the SHO, in fact I really missed my massaging seats from the SHO this past Thursday night when I drove from Michigan back to my home in North Carolina. The SHO was very comfortable, and the performance was very surprising. If I decide to get another car to add to the group (my wife's BMW and my Mustang) then definitely I will be looking at the SHO or MKS - best for roominess and performance in one package.

But I wanted a Mustang and should have just bought one when I got rid of the cursed 2013. Ford offered such good incentives on the SHO at that time though that it was hard to pass up.

Yeah well they did not market the SHO as well as they should have imo, the Taurus in general has not seen as much marketing as the Focus and Fusion in the sedan lineups.

Congrats, I am confused as to whether you ended up with a GT or other? I just did Redline hood struts, those MRT mount backwards as compared to my redlines. Enjoy the new ride, I have 31,000 miles on my 16 now. Time for fluid changes.

Ended up with the EcoBoost convertible - as soon as my wife saw it in the showroom, the GT was not coming home. On the way home she said, "if I hadn't come with you then you probably would have come back with the GT" - told her probably, or the 2008 Shelby Convertible on the used car lot!

The MRT struts aren't backwards, they were done at MRT. Redline though the mounting point is to the front of the car, and MRT uses existing mount points on the stock hinge so maybe that is what you meant by "backwards".

I got ya, thanks for the clarification. I never noticed the MRT mounted differently is all. I know you are happier being back in a mustang.

Cheers!

There is just something about the newer S550s I like the feel in the cockpit but they could figure out at least how to mount the seats maybe an inch lower would be nice.  With a Vert its so much nicer cruising.  I love the open canopy feel of them.  

I am considering getting a Cali special vert next spring.  In black.  ?