Sign in to follow this  
CCstang

Oil cooler build

6 hours ago, CCstang said:

Setrab is considered a better oil cooler I believe they are used in a lot of high dollar exotic cars.

Yea, that is what I am finding. I think I am going to go with them.

One more question, I may want to go with their 25 row simply because it looks like it drops oil PSI by 1 less PSI, sure that isn't much, but hey, oil pressure is oil pressure. I am not sure if this is my final plan as of yet, but that being said, would it be possible to use your same basic mounting point idea but instead of 3/16"x 1"x 5", could I do something like 3/16"x 1"x 7" in order to space this entire assembly up 2 inches higher? The weld from this plate to the crossbar would be on top of the highest bolt to the bumper. I just don't know if there is clearance in there for this, and since you have been in there up close and personal I hope maybe you have some insight.

18 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

One more question, I may want to go with their 25 row simply because it looks like it drops oil PSI by 1 less PSI, sure that isn't much, but hey, oil pressure is oil pressure. I am not sure if this is my final plan as of yet, but that being said, would it be possible to use your same basic mounting point idea but instead of 3/16"x 1"x 5", could I do something like 3/16"x 1"x 7" in order to space this entire assembly up 2 inches higher? The weld from this plate to the crossbar would be on top of the highest bolt to the bumper. I just don't know if there is clearance in there for this, and since you have been in there up close and personal I hope maybe you have some insight.

18 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

There is plenty of room to go higher if you need too.

• Like 1

So I emailed Setrab with the cars specifics, and they recommended the series 9 20 row... that has a lot of cooling capacity.

It will fit, there is plenty of room behind the bumper, but I am wondering if this is actually required. I am thinking they are expecting me to be a lot better of a driver and really stringing the motor out. I am fairly sure this would make my heat exchange 1 extra row, and ~2 inches wider than your mishimoto. Seems to be a little overkill to me? 

11 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

So I emailed Setrab with the cars specifics, and they recommended the series 9 20 row... that has a lot of cooling capacity.

It will fit, there is plenty of room behind the bumper, but I am wondering if this is actually required. I am thinking they are expecting me to be a lot better of a driver and really stringing the motor out. I am fairly sure this would make my heat exchange 1 extra row, and ~2 inches wider than your mishimoto. Seems to be a little overkill to me? 

So you contacted the acknowledged leaders in all things coolers. Gave them your specs and they told you what to use..... but they are wrong..... REALLY??

1 minute ago, popeye said:

So you contacted the acknowledged leaders in all things coolers. Gave them your specs and they told you what to use..... but they are wrong..... REALLY??

I think they are over estimating my needs lol. After trolling a lot of mustang threads I see a lot of hardcore track dudes with GT's and 302's saying the setrab 934 results in temps that are "high" in the 260 range on a cool day. Can't get much larger than a 934...

So that tells me most people who use their stuff are pretty hard core people with legit race prepped cars. I am more doing this for engine insurance, and sorta cuz why not. 

Not saying they are wrong, just that they are overestimating my needs. I can get it, it will fit, and the price isn't even an issue, but that may be decent overkill. Don't need my oil to be to cool down in the low 230's either.

Also what has me a little confused, why go to the 920 and not the 625? 625 has just as good BTU/HR and reduces PSI by less. Both add .55 qt to the oil system, and the 625 weighs a touch less. Granted, a PSI here or there isn't a big deal, and a lbs here or there is even less of an issue for me. Just..... weird to me. I suppose their argument may be the 920 would be easier to position such that it has greater surface area exposed to fresh air through the grille.

So I am not saying they are wrong, just that they me be overestimating my cooling requirements based on their normal clientele. For reference, I leave the track with usually about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 tank of gas used MAX. My buddy in his GT350 leaves with damn near nothing left and I don't think his oil cooler is any larger than the unit they are recommending I get. I don't know the 350's oil cooler size, but it fits in front of the front left wheel, so it can't be huge. Just based on the amount of fuel being burnt, I am not dumping nearly as much heat into my system as he is considering we both have 16 gal fuel tanks lol. He also drives harder than I do as he is better than I am and pushes his car to its limits, and his temps are all fine, although his pads have already overheated and are shot, brake fluid started to boil, and his MPSS's are cooked. I just can't see my lil cyclone needing the cooling capacity of a 350 being driven that hard.

I'm happy with the set up I have and almost wen't with a Setrab cooler but  happy with the Mishimoto cooler and the 20 +/- degree temp drop. I can do better if I open up the restricted lower factory grill, when I'm on the track I usually run mostly 3rd and 4th gear with some second gear pulls all in the 5-7 thousand rpm range. I would like to be in the 240-250 range when at the track and oil temp needs to be at 212 degrees to burn off any moisture in the oil. Check out TrackMustangOnline great information on this subject.  

4 hours ago, CCstang said:

I'm happy with the set up I have and almost wen't with a Setrab cooler but  happy with the Mishimoto cooler and the 20 +/- degree temp drop. I can do better if I open up the restricted lower factory grill, when I'm on the track I usually run mostly 3rd and 4th gear with some second gear pulls all in the 5-7 thousand rpm range. I would like to be in the 240-250 range when at the track and oil temp needs to be at 212 degrees to burn off any moisture in the oil. Check out TrackMustangOnline great information on this subject.  

That is the forum i have been creepin on. I posted and have had a few responses about sandwich plate options. Most of those guys are the people I referred to as using the setrab series 9 34 row and still running “hot”.

Don't forget too most of those guys cars are full track set up and higher HP and pushing them 10/10 on the track creating more heat.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:56 AM, CCstang said:

Don't forget too most of those guys cars are full track set up and higher HP and pushing them 10/10 on the track creating more heat.

Yea I know. Most of them are legit track cars, not HPDE like us. 

Ordered a 920. I still feel like its overkill, but meh, goin for it. Will mock up the mounting of it once I get my car back from the dealer (hood paint round 2, can't wait for round 3 in 2-3 more years, going to be awesome trying to convince them to pay to re clear bra, paint correct and ceramic it), get it all figured out then buy fittings and hose. Hopefully I can get it done relatively quick, I have a lot going on in the next couple months and another Autoclub trackday on 10/18/18.

I am fairly sure this is a larger cooler than a GT350 has for reference.........

• Thanks 1

What nuts do I need to bolt to the crush bar bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One question tho..... how to get the oil out of the exchanger..? Sux that the only way I can think of is to unscrew one of the fittings on the exchanger itself each time. That kinda sux. Wonder how many times those are good to go on and off?

No drain fitting on the cooler? I recall Benz's with external coolers had separate drain plugs.

No drain fitting on the cooler? I recall Benz's with external coolers had separate drain plugs.

Nope :/.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, LIGISTX said:

All done :).

d6c508c855c98d1c1b718ad1f605f46a.jpg

8d23fb98be90bbf52becec268fd9acf4.jpg

221ea37244e1d025fa04d4ced7a4e6eb.jpg

Nice job, what brand sandwich plate did you go with?

On 7/29/2018 at 1:34 AM, LIGISTX said:

One question tho..... how to get the oil out of the exchanger..? Sux that the only way I can think of is to unscrew one of the fittings on the exchanger itself each time. That kinda sux. Wonder how many times those are good to go on and off?

Some of it will naturally drain even with the hoses at a higher incline because  of the weight/capacity of the oil cooler oil draining (pushing) through the hoses.

Some of it will naturally drain even with the hoses at a higher incline because  of the weight/capacity of the oil cooler oil draining (pushing) through the hoses.

Yea, it should drain down to whatever level the oil filter is (which is lower than most of the radiator).

And a setrab plate and all setrab fittings. 4 90 degree’s cost 130 bucks! Lol.

• Haha 1