Sign in to follow this  
CCstang

Oil cooler build

With another road course season around the corner I'm putting together a oil cooler build. My oil temps on the track last year we're hitting the 270-275 degree range. I'm copying the bracket in the Mishimoto GT mustang kit and using a different sandwich plate and making my own hoses and fittings.

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1739 (1).JPG

IMG_1743 (1).JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the views, as projects like this can benefit many more DIY soldiers. It's really hard to find solutions sometimes to our "car addictions", Lol.

Pretty cool! I had to work around an oil cooler setup while installing an SFI crank dampener and it was a PITA trying to use an AN wrench in that confined space not to mention routing the thick hoses. 

I had no idea that mishimoto plate was a thing. Thats pretty cool.

One of these days I will follow suit with this and the brake ducts... Although I really should have done the ducts when I did my brake swap lol.

That's a nice clean install. What cooler did you use?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2018 at 8:23 PM, mariusvt said:

Very nice, curious to see how it improves your on track temps.

Right now I'm seeing anywhere between 15-20 degree's temperature drop pushing it hard on the street at different rpm and mph. I can't wait to see on the track next month. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 2:54 PM, popeye said:

That's a nice clean install. What cooler did you use?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mishimoto 19 row 

• Like 1

Well I broke in my new oil cooler yesterday at Thompson speedway. On average it kept my oil temp down 22 degrees from last years readings, we will see when it gets a lot hotter on the track but really happy so far.   

• Like 1

Ran my car at Lime Rock Thursday and my oil temp stayed at a nice 245-250 degrees, down about 23+ degrees from last year when I didn't have a oil cooler. 

• Like 1

I don't have one, and I really have no idea what temps I am hitting are.... Hopefully nothing to insane. We only run 20 minute sessions, and my water temp never even goes above normal at all if that is at all a way to compare.

I have thought about an oil cooler, but have just not done it yet. Advice..?

I have a aeroforce gauge reading oil temp,pressure and water temp which only climbs 10-20 degrees on the track. Its the oil temp that really climbs high, I was seeing 270-275 degrees before cooler install. I run three 20 min sessions with 40 min between runs. 

Dang, 275 is no joke. I guess its time to look into a cooler...

You wouldn't happen to have any of the dimensions of that bracket you fabbed would you? I am 100% doing this, but with this kit. I can make the bracket assuming I can figure out dimensions. Since I don't have a garage and my parents don't love my car being in pieces in their backyard for longer than a day............ dimensions pre-teardown would be VERY much appreciated.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-oil-cooler.html

That kit from AM will only work with the M22 sandwich plate for are cars not the M20 that comes with that kit.  I will dig up some measurements for the bracket.

11 minutes ago, CCstang said:

That kit from AM will only work with the M22 sandwich plate for are cars not the M20 that comes with that kit.  I will dig up some measurements for the bracket.

11 minutes ago, CCstang said:

Why is that? Does the M20 not fit our oil filter/engine block? Why would ornament include a sandwich plate that won’t work?

And thanks! Measurements would be awesome!!!

I am dumb, the M22 is the threading isn't it. I thought it was a M for Mishimoto, model number.... lol.

Yes that was hot, part of the problem is I use the factory grills that don't let much air into the front of the car. That's probably how Ford help them get that 30 mpg they were bragging about when these cars first came out.    

20 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

I am dumb, the M22 is the threading isn't it. I thought it was a M for Mishimoto, model number.... lol.

Yes its the stainless steel threaded adapter that mounts the sandwich plate. That system will work only if you buy the m22 adapter but you would have to drill out that m20 sandwich plate to fit the bigger m22 adapter. That's why I went with a m22 sandwich plate. As for the bracket I copied here are some measurements but you still have to fudge grind bend and fit to make it work lol. I used 3/4" steel square tubing cut to 32" long put a pencil mark 4" in from both ends and made a 3/8" pie notch behind both marks and bent tube maybe 45 degrees not sure and also cut a angle at both ends. This is the part were you try to fit about 20 times to line up at the rear bumper bolts. Then I used 3/16"x 1"x 5" steel plates drilled to bolt at bumper bolts and 1/8"x 2"x 14" steel to hold oil cooler, once everything fits good weld her up. Got steel at Home Depot look at my above posted pictures for guidance. 

2 hours ago, CCstang said:

Yes its the stainless steel threaded adapter that mounts the sandwich plate. That system will work only if you buy the m22 adapter but you would have to drill out that m20 sandwich plate to fit the bigger m22 adapter. That's why I went with a m22 sandwich plate. As for the bracket I copied here are some measurements but you still have to fudge grind bend and fit to make it work lol. I used 3/4" steel square tubing cut to 32" long put a pencil mark 4" in from both ends and made a 3/8" pie notch behind both marks and bent tube maybe 45 degrees not sure and also cut a angle at both ends. This is the part were you try to fit about 20 times to line up at the rear bumper bolts. Then I used 3/16"x 1"x 5" steel plates drilled to bolt at bumper bolts and 1/8"x 2"x 14" steel to hold oil cooler, once everything fits good weld her up. Got steel at Home Depot look at my above posted pictures for guidance. 

Thanks!!! Once I figure out the cooler and sandwich plate I want to go with, this will be very useful!

Would anyone recommend setrab over mishimoto? I am looking at their 6 series 19 row cooler and possibly their sandwich plate vs the mishimoto. I have heard setrab radiators are quite good, just wondering if anyone here has any input?

Setrab is considered a better oil cooler I believe they are used in a lot of high dollar exotic cars.