Sign in to follow this  
LIGISTX

Got a new car, sorta.

Well, my birthday just passed, and very long story short, my dad’s best and oldest friend is the CPA for the dude who plays J.D. on scrubs. Turns out the dude wanted to part ways with his 2006 911 4s, 29k miles, brand new tires, good shape, garage kept ect ect. Well, my dad somehow got it for under 20 grand. Talk about the steal of the century.

So while that’s amazing, that is just the start of the story. My dad’s buddy has a 1968 roadrunner that’s been sitting in his parents back yard for probably a good 35 years. My dad, him, and a few buddies built the motor way back when, 383 bores out, probably a decent cam, you know just the normal #childrenofthe70’s type deal. Got the 383 out of the dudes moms wrecked 4 door whatever car, built it and dropped it in the road runner. It ran fine with low miles, but life happened and it’s been on jack stands for 35 years sitting outside with no cover.

Fast forward to this afternoon, my dad goes to pick up the pink slip for the Porsche from his buddy, and his buddy says “you know what, I really am never going to do anything with it, just take it”. So now my dad has a 68 roadrunner, which he then decides to call me and say happy birthday, here is a project car. So, I guess in reality, I was just gifted a PHAT money pit. Lol.

We are going to pick it up Saturday (buddies parents house is actually right around the block from my parents house.... I have seen the car sitting back there my entire life) and take it to my dads shop parking lot. So. I guess. Time to start looking for mopar parts? Need to find the engine code, and eventually figure out what all was even done to it cuz god knows they don’t remember.

5bea57014cd3d9238798a150045b75b6.jpeg

759e032f2439023599900739745035d2.jpeg8ac19438232152635775e2960ed35e6d.jpgbd5524fa29424333786876a8ebd5d183.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This suspect shouldn’t be in corner carvers. Damnit tapatalk... move it wherever. I hope if it goes to the beer corner tapatalk doesn’t freak out, it sometimes has trouble with remembering the password.

I have no idea what that Porche is worth but I do know what the Roadrunner is. Have fun.. Those cars make increadible cruisers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have no idea what that Porche is worth but I do know what the Roadrunner is. Have fun.. Those cars make increadible cruisers. 

Porsche is easily worth over 30. But I don’t know what the road runner is worth at all lol.

It was parked with low miles, but it would need a fuel tank, fuel lines, carb cleaning and possibly head gaskets just to make it turn over and start. Not to mention the interior...

Ideally I’d strip it to chassis, derust it, paint it, ghetto the interior since they shit is stupid expensive, and throw the drivetrain back in it. It don’t be a rocket without I assume some new cam bearings and rings, but I have to believe it would run good enough.

Out of curiosity, what would the value be in current state, running state, and good shape?

Also, if the motor was refreshed, any idea what numbers it would make? 383, I believe it was bored 10 over but I’ll have to measure to be sure, I’m sure it has a mild cam, cuz who builds a motor without throwing cam at it, decked heads and a decent carb. Looking like ~280 hp 350tq? Random guess on my part, anyone have a better one?

Also a 838 10 over makes it ~385? Ish?

c07ddeeadf42a4c6c15b43ddaf7a0620.jpeg

11783bccdc4fa5791c330a2c6587f4ad.jpeg

e47f60bb22a263ae5fb31bf417418d47.jpeg

It's worth at least 10 k as it sits.

If you can get the Road runner in half way deecent running shape and everything functional you will be shocked what people would be will to pay for it. But right now as a non running car people would pay 10k for it. Now if you really do a correct job on it,, it can be worth a ton but the money outlay will be steep.

I don't know if the car is solid but if it is,, buff the shit out of that paint and then seal it. Run it with the Patina. Then just concentrate on the mechanicals.

• Like 1

I'm starting to get more appreciation for the way those flat 6's sound especially 997 and later.  The 991's are just...oh my god.

• Like 1

I'm starting to get more appreciation for the way those flat 6's sound especially 997 and later.  The 991's are just...oh my god.

Yup, it’s a 997.1. Can’t wait to tow it through some gears this weekend.

Motor is apparently disassembled in the garage. And it’s been that way since the car was parked. So at least I can inspect it all, see what’s what.

The motor is out of a Furry III, dad’s buddies mom totaled her car so he took the motor and built it. Not sure what the RR originally had, but hopefully it’s in the garage as well. Matching part numbers and what not.

24e3575d2187c5f05ae402169de1ee4e.jpeg

122268603f0c0b65375b71b652163d65.jpeg

60782a1bf0f9d90ee18fc52599d753f6.jpeg

ee19b0adf24df4dc4cc85fd21a3d2dce.jpeg

And stock was ~330 ~420. That is a lot more power then I had thought it would be. That’s dope.

Be picking it up tomorrow, my dad already and look inside, said the floor boards are very clean, borderline rust free, dash has one crack where the cardboard isn’t covering, has a floor shifter sitting in there so we will do that, driver door he said will need to be replaced as it’s rusted through, hopefully the stock block is in the garage as well, theoretically it will be. Also the dude had a dodge pickup after the RR he bought a hopped in motor and never installed, so he says that’s in the garage in an engine stand. But it’s not a v8, but not to say it would be cool in, well, who knows?

LIGI we need to race who can be the first to get an old car back on the road. I've decided my goal is to have the '67 back on the road by summer. Still have some debt I'd like to clear up, as long as I can hold off buying more gun stuff I think I can do it.

• Like 1

LIGI we need to race who can be the first to get an old car back on the road. I've decided my goal is to have the '67 back on the road by summer. Still have some debt I'd like to clear up, as long as I can hold off buying more gun stuff I think I can do it.

Well. Plan is I’ll be building the motor which I have never done. And it will be living in LA at my parents house so I only have weekends. I just hope the trans is good, but that can be gone through. I am not sure what my dad wants to do as far as rust goes. I don’t have the money to do any crazy rust stuff like he did his truck, but since it means a lot to him, shit, he may have it acid washed and powder coated like the truck was. But I doubt it. He did ask me to look into getting a 440 build, but I said naw, keep the 383, it’s plenty fine. Some good parts in a 383 and it would be plenty fast enough for an old piece of shit. Will have to convert it to 4 wheel discs cuz I like life, and upholstery shouldn’t be more than ~1500 bucks.

So. We will see.

You have to get the intermediate shaft bearing checked out, very common failure for those cars and rather expensive to fix.

• Like 1

Nice car!  Old Mopar is $$$ though..... I've had a 1956, 57, and 58 Plymouths.....  It's a small fortune..... Looks like you have a solid foundation though!

• Like 1

So, update time.

Car should be done in 6 months. It’s stripped to metal now, and will have a full resto done. Motor is a 383 with a 400 crank, Chevy small block rods, custom 1 off pistons (maybe they follow a known formula, but I think they are actually custom), 440 heads, and a mild cam. It will be a 506 CI monster torque producing, America screaming machine.

It had a b&m trans which is currently at the m half being refreshed as we speak. We also have an original floor shifter which is awesome! This will be one bad ass land yacht.