Sign in to follow this  
Jo1981hn

68 mustang

My name is John, and I recently bought a 68 mustang. A body shop closed down, and it was sold to a guy who didn't like Fords. I'm assuming he got a hell of a deal. Anyway, he let it sit in his shop for 15 years, before he sold it to me. He told me the motor and transmission were rebuilt before the body shop closed. It's got a 302 in it, I think it's an early 70s model. To get to my point, it has some of the tell-tail signs of being a 302 Windsor. But, when I looked in the crank housing it had the Cleveland symbol. This confused me, because it didn't match anything I've read. Can someone explain this to me? By the way, I don't know a lot about cars by any means. But, I'm mechanically minded. I bought this car because it has sentimental value to me. I had one when I was a teenager. But, I had more money then. So, I could afford to buy a nicer one, that actually looked good and ran! Lol

Edited by Jo1981hn

Hey there John, welcome to the forum!! By any chance can you post a photo of the car and engine? I have a '67 with a Windsor 302, I'll post a photo of mine to compare.

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

That's a Windsor block with Cleveland heads, very common upgrade back in the day because the Cleveland heads had larger ports. Ford even built a factory car with an engine like that, called it the Boss 302!

• Thanks 1

What kind of parts are you looking for? Things like valve covers would be specific to the Cleveland heads. As far as intake manifolds I'm not sure since those have to match both the block and heads. Things like pistons would have to be Windsor parts to match the block. See if you can find the block stamp to see exactly what it is. I don't exactly remember where that is but I think it is on the side near the bellhousing.

I forgot to ask, why does it say 302 a couple of pistons down, on the same block. I'm don't have any plans on doing anything to the heads any time soon 

20171212_152758~2.jpg

Yes, R&D is educational, I enjoy the learning and expanding my knowledge. Even Grimace learns, re-certification each year for his ASE.

1 hour ago, Roanstang said:

Even Grimace learns, re-certification each year for his ASE.

Ha! I haven't recertified since 2005. While I like the way it sounds to say ASE Master Certified, if I were a customer I wouldn't put much stock in that. The test subjects were entirely irrelevant to real world scenarios, very much like SOL tests in high school.

• Like 1

Well, I stand corrected, and I'll admit when I'm wrong. Just finding mechanic's that want a job around the coastal bend is Hell!

Help Wanted signs in many shops I frequent. Jamie's Auto in Port Lavaca needs help also Bruce's auto & lube. I guess if you know the work anyone can "Be employed as a tech", the more I learn about this business the Less I like it. Maybe it's time for auto-drive cars after all??At Jamie's a "worker" not certified told me point blank, these kids today don't want to get their "hands" dirty. Oh well, so much for that nice home an car they have always wanted, oh wait! Mom & Dad will leave me their's when they die. Why is it, most professions demand a certified worker? I digress.

IMG_20171211_170614_688.jpg