• Announcements

• Unclenard

Site Upgrade   11/08/2017

The site will be continuing to get the look and feel adjusted since the upgrade.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.  In the top right is the link for "Unread Content".  Initially everything may be showing up and you will have to click the link for "Mark site read".
KPeggz

Buying a manual help

Hello folks. I got rid of my 2011 Auto awhile back but loved the car. Now I'm looking to get another one. Well I really just found the car I would have gotten the first time. This one is a 2012 premium manual with 28k miles. I've been seeing a lot stuff on here about the design of the mt82 and the problems it's having. Would anyone say walk away from the manual and look elsewhere? Or do I pull the trigger?

Mt82 is fine until you start tracking it. Hard tracking can lead to failures, but that's part of putting your car on track/AutoX.

That being said, most people's issues are solved with a blowfish bracket, or, if you want to go all out and really do it right, MGW race spec shifter. No need for a blowfish with that BTW, it solves all issues in one package. I sure love mine, one of the best mods I have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad yall chimed in. I had already crossed it off sadly but if there is fix I can live with that. Anyway to tell if the trans is too far gone for the above mods the save it? The car only has 28k miles but no way of knowing how the previous owner drove it.

It's likely fine. But there isn't a real way of knowing unless it's grinding gears already. I blew mine hard shifting into 5th, but what actually did 5th in was a miss shift at Autocross, going into third it didn't want to go, and that ended up blowing out 5th gear synchro.

No real issues, hell don't cross it off the list! I'd only consider a manual in a sporty car. Mine was a little stiff at first but it's all stock with zero issues, like the vast majority of them. Some folks just like adding aftermarket parts, which is fine too if that's what you like.

Clearly the internet has ruined you. The MT-82 isn't some piece of glass like those noisy few want to make it out to be. 

Yeah I came across some pretty hardcore bashing from a POS to a Chinese POS. About to head to the dealer and see if they can get here soon. If not I got a 3hr drive to check it out.

Yeah I came across some pretty hardcore bashing from a POS to a Chinese POS. About to head to the dealer and see if they can get here soon. If not I got a 3hr drive to check it out.

It's certainly not the best tranny ever put in a sports car, and it's very much not the best tranny put into a track capable car, but as long as you drive it normally, it should be fine. The MGW Race spec will also greatly help reduce the chance of user caused failure like I had.

I put my MGW shifter in as soon as it was available for purchase, which happened to be about a month after I get my warranty replacement trans installed.

Get a bracket and it'll be fine.  Remember, Lethal was putting 700 RWHP thought their bone stock 2011 GT driveline for a year powershifting it on slicks and skinnies.  Not one failure.

RPM's and unnecessarily heavy staged clutches kill the MT-82 BTW, not power (relatively speaking).

For what it's worth, I'm just short of 168,000 miles and heading to Gingerman raceway in South Haven Michigan this next weekend in my MT-82 for another HPDE. I wouldn't hesitate buying another manual 3.7 mustang if I had to do it all over again.

Most of the true breakage issues happen to the coyote mustang that drag race and supercharge/turbo charge.

With that being said, if the car is side loaded in a corner and I rush a high rpm shift it will still lock me out of 3rd gear from 2nd... even with the steeda shifter bushing and transmission mount insert.

The only true issue I've had that's even remotely drivetrane related to cause me to take the transmission out is with the stock dual mass flywheel failure causing drivetrane vibrations and a 2nd time because a mouse built a nest in my ram twin disk clutch causing the pressure plate fingers to not fully disengage one of the clutch disks. The car wouldn't go into any gear with the engine running but would go if the engine off (which is how I got it in the trailer)

LIGISTX what autocross events are you in that you can get to 5th gear? I'm only in 4th gear at road course events and rarely in 3rd at autocross long straights. Must be a corvette guy designing your courses trying to stick it to the miata's.

For what it's worth, I'm just short of 168,000 miles and heading to Gingerman raceway in South Haven Michigan this next weekend in my MT-82 for another HPDE. I wouldn't hesitate buying another manual 3.7 mustang if I had to do it all over again.

Most of the true breakage issues happen to the coyote mustang that drag race and supercharge/turbo charge.

With that being said, if the car is side loaded in a corner and I rush a high rpm shift it will still lock me out of 3rd gear from 2nd... even with the steeda shifter bushing and transmission mount insert.

The only true issue I've had that's even remotely drivetrane related to cause me to take the transmission out is with the stock dual mass flywheel failure causing drivetrane vibrations and a 2nd time because a mouse built a nest in my ram twin disk clutch causing the pressure plate fingers to not fully disengage one of the clutch disks. The car wouldn't go into any gear with the engine running but would go if the engine off (which is how I got it in the trailer)

LIGISTX what autocross events are you in that you can get to 5th gear? I'm only in 4th gear at road course events and rarely in 3rd at autocross long straights. Must be a corvette guy designing your courses trying to stick it to the miata's.

It was a bad shift into 5th on the freeway to the autoX event. At autoX, I had a bad shift into third that somehow grenaded 5th. I have no idea how...