Sign in to follow this  
JimC

Went to the range again

My wife was going to go - she needs to get out and get more comfortable with her gun, but her back was hurting so she said I should go and get some practice in. I think I went through 100 rounds in my time there. Big difference between her Ruger Lite 22/45 and my M&P 9mm. Her 22 was almost like "did I shoot already or not", which is why it is good for her. So little kick to it that she can shoot without getting tired.

post-100-0-63042000-1490011106_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-09372400-1490011111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

She was planning to go because she really wanted to try the "shoot N see" targets.

I did pick up a new pair of shooting glasses for her. She couldn't wear her glasses with the safety glasses. The new one is designed so they wrap around her glasses if she is wearing them.

So now she is anxious to get out and try the range again

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We have an outdoor range down the street from work I'm dying to hit up once it warms up.

• Like 1

We will be on a friend's outdoor range in May. They live in the middle of the country in Ohio.

Going to take the CPL class and get our licenses. Class is on April 8.

Went over to Top Gun in Taylor, MI to sign up for the CPL class. They require you to come in, no online enrollment. Since we were going my wife said, "we're taking the guns, right". She wanted some more practice.

I have 2 free rentals so rented a Sig Sauer P238 in the .380 caliber. Nice little gun. Easy to handle and fits in a pocket for concealed carry. My wife tried it and was surprised at the recoil compared to her Ruger 22.

She did well, especially for her second time ever handling a gun. She decided not to do the CPL. She said for home defense she doesn't need it, and most of the time we are together so I would be carrying. Once she has more practice she might decide to get the CPL.

The guys here at work are planning to hit up the next gun show in April. I might bring my guns in to clean them since it's been a few years. Also want to attach a sling mount to my AR.

I thought I had these pictures on my phone when I posted earlier. So posting from home now.

post-100-0-74518400-1490671249_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-11287200-1490671254_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-67492500-1490671258_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-70931800-1490671262_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-59703100-1490671266_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-71698000-1490671270_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-14783900-1490671275_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-16874400-1490671279_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-82097900-1490671282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm taking the concealed carry class next Saturday (4/8/17) so wanted to spend some more time at the range today. My wife didn't want to go so it was just me. I was thinking that I might need to adjust the sight on my M&P Shield. It seemed to be hitting left. Today though everything seemed to be hitting right where I wanted with no drift to the left.

post-100-0-81570600-1491185634_thumb.jpg

post-100-0-48336400-1491185639_thumb.jpg

Doing my concealed carry class today. Went through 90 rounds this morning and picked up some tips from the instructor

Successfully completed the training and have my certificate. Monday I'll go down to the County Clerk's office and file my CPL application.

• Like 2

Congrats. I took hand gun 1 & shotgun 1 courses and found them to be very helpful. Shooting techniques, practice techniques and the laws applicable to home/personal defense. Practice wise at that distance you should be able to have a nice grouping in the center of mass. They also went over shooting off hand which might be needed more than one would guess.

Good stuff, owning a firearm and knowing how & when to use it and practicing to improve is fun and smart.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just filed my CPL paperwork. Should have it in hand by May 26.

Went down P2K on Friday. Shot my XD45 Tactical and Glock 19 on the indoor range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gb2ufN0on4

Then two rounds each of Trap and 5-Stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATG0DZQPL-0

Followed with one of the best carne asada burrito's in town. :)

Something new I just found on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZGRKFTE8A

• Like 1

Forgot to update. My concealed pistol license arrived on Tuesday this past week. Only took 14 days to process. Guess it helps being in a smaller county.

I stopped to look at some pocket pistols today. I still like that Sig-Sauer P238 but wanted to check out some other things. Turns out that Kimber has a micro in a 9mm, same as my M&P Shield and Sig-Sauer has a P938 that is also a 9mm. So I could get one of those (once I convince my wife that I really NEED a new gun). Both are small enough to pocket carry and I only need to buy one size ammo for me, rather than 9mm and .0380 in addition to the 22LR for my wife.

Eventually I may get her to give up her 22 for a .380. For now she is comfortable with that and her concern is only that she has something in the house for protection.

• Like 1

Yeah I only have two caliber pistols, 9mm & .45. A 9mm is a good CC choice, and I'd recommend having your wife move up to a 9mm instead of .380 to keep things simple. The 9mm isn't a bad caliber in terms of recoil with a full size pistol like a Beretta, MP9, or G17, P2K rents pistols to try out, maybe someone close to you does too. Keep having fun.

The ranges around us rent guns as well. That was how I got to try out the Sig-Sauer P238 (still have another free rental to use). My wife tried the P238, of course it has a lot more recoil compared to her Ruger 22 Lite and she only shot one round then handed it back.

So far I haven't been able to get her to even try a round in my 9mm. Maybe she will try something in a couple of weeks when we are at our friend's outdoor range. There will be a lot of guns there, including a snub nose 38 that she was interested in before.

My experience has been the smaller the gun frame in a caliber, the more recoil.  A .38 caliber w/ a 6" barrel will have less recoil than a snub nosed .38.  The longer double action trigger pull takes practice too, but in general revolver's are probably more reliable than semi autos. Good luck!

• Like 1

My experience has been the smaller the gun frame in a caliber, the more recoil.  A .38 caliber w/ a 6" barrel will have less recoil than a snub nosed .38.  

The is totally true. The snappiest gun I've ever fired was a snubnose .357 magnum that my buddy loaded with hot defense ammo. Talk about muzzle blast!

• Like 1

I have videos but I'd rather not post them. My cousin is fully licensed to have them, but still, being in Cali it just feels sketch. But it sure was fun!! Threw a shizload of lead down range. Had a drum mag tommy gun as well.

817eb281ec0921ffeaa596c2d841c120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Which one was your favorite?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Which one was your favorite?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

For sure the p90. That thing was just awesome. I think the Thompson was a close second simply because of what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk