Sign in to follow this  
Joenpb

Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve

I like to change my own oil and have found drain valves facilitate a clean change. I used a Fumoto Qwik Valve in the 2011 and thought it worked well.

Doing a bit more research I stumbled across the Stahlbus Oil Change Valve. I liked the cleaner look and simpler design so I went ahead and ordered/installed one to replace my oil drain plug a week ago after my last oil change. I will update my impressions after the next oil change. It has a copper o-ring gasket that is torqued to 15 ft lbs, a screw on cover and quality construction. So far I'm impressed, but I haven't used it yet. Just taking a look and testing in hand the tube connection is superior to Fumoto, but seems a bit more difficult to insert and turn compared to the Fumoto lever since it can go on one way only. I don't think it'll be too much trouble, but expect to be rotating the tube connection a bit under the car before insertion. 

Both the Fumoto and Stahlbus valves are quality parts, and I prefer to drain oil straight into gallon jugs with screw on tops that don't leak, like most of the designed oil change containers do. Just drop them off at Autozone & I'm good to go, with nary a drop of oil spilled. :)

• Like 1

I think the GT350 guys would benefit most from one of those. They have plastic drain plugs and they feel super flimsy.

Not sure why Ford would use plastic oil pan drain plugs. I would definitely look into replacing it. Plastic doesn't sound good, especially for a track car.

With a plastic plug, I'd more question how many times can it be reused before the threads on it are screwed.  Unless it's one of those new at each oil change parts, then whatever.

I don't think it has threads but rather it catches somehow. Look up a DIY video for a better idea.

• Like 1

I like to change my own oil and have found drain valves facilitate a clean change. I used a Fumoto Qwik Valve in the 2011 and thought it worked well.

Doing a bit more research I stumbled across the Stahlbus Oil Change Valve. I liked the cleaner look and simpler design so I went ahead and ordered/installed one to replace my oil drain plug a week ago after my last oil change. I will update my impressions after the next oil change. It has a copper o-ring gasket that is torqued to 15 ft lbs, a screw on cover and quality construction. So far I'm impressed, but I haven't used it yet. Just taking a look and testing in hand the tube connection is superior to Fumoto, but seems a bit more difficult to insert and turn compared to the Fumoto lever since it can go on one way only. I don't think it'll be too much trouble, but expect to be rotating the tube connection a bit under the car before insertion. 

Both the Fumoto and Stahlbus valves are quality parts, and I prefer to drain oil straight into gallon jugs with screw on tops that don't leak, like most of the designed oil change containers do. Just drop them off at Autozone & I'm good to go, with nary a drop of oil spilled. :)

I like this, what material did you select and whats the thread size?

Most Mustangs use the same size.

2004.12  5.0 GT sb-210131-S-NA M 12 x 1,75  The receipt just says steel, so guessing corrosion resistant steel. The packing is in German. :sarcastic:

Choose Ford USA

http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/products/application-list-for-cars?resetfilters=0&clearordering=0&clearfilters=0

One of their distributors is local, i got mine in one day.

• Like 1

Changed the oil over the weekend and finally used the Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve.  I was able to drain the oil into two empty gallon water jugs easily and without a mess. Highly recommended, makes changing your oil cleanly a snap. I prefer it to the Fumoto/Qwik valve because it looks cleaner.

For the fill I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance, had it delivered from Amazon. a good price (almost half the cost of Penzoil Ultra Platinum) and convenient.

Matched the oil up with a Fram Pro Synthetic FPS10575 oil filter.

My round trip commute went from 65 miles to 20 miles with the new gig I started last March. It.'s nice not to be putting so many miles on the car.

• Like 1

Don't you just love chopping down that commute! I went from about a 60 mile round trip to a 6 mile round trip. :)

• Like 1

I went the other direction from 7mi to 37mi each way But the bigger lot, 3 car garage, close to my wife's family for help with our 6mo old daughter makes it worth it. Plus for now I get to telework 2 days a week.

• Like 1

Don't you just love chopping down that commute! I went from about a 60 mile round trip to a 6 mile round trip.

I just did the exact same thing! No more mojave for me. Now I’m exclusively working Plant 42 in Palmdale. Same plant skunkworks is it and basically all the cool shit ever. The building I work in is where they build B-1’s back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I went the other direction from 7mi to 37mi each way But the bigger lot, 3 car garage, close to my wife's family for help with our 6mo old daughter makes it worth it. Plus for now I get to telework 2 days a week.

Lucky. Well sorta. I can’t do that. But on the flip side, when I walk out the doors, work literally stops existing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, mariusvt said:

I went the other direction from 7mi to 37mi each way emoji20.png But the bigger lot, 3 car garage, close to my wife's family for help with our 6mo old daughter makes it worth it. Plus for now I get to telework 2 days a week.

I wish I could fix cars from home.