nastang87xx

Koni Sports finally for the S550

Blistein's really? Are they adjustable? Older model ponies used those, I don't know of S197's using them, are they making a comeback or what? Just wondering.

The thing that bothers me with the S550 suspension is the rear upper shock mount. That thing is so flimsy and the cause of some serious issues like completely failure with the shock punching right through the top. Other issues being noise from a lack of compliance(or excessive compliance). I've done two damper upgrades now on S550s and that mount just plain sucks.

I don't remember which company it was, might have been Ridetech, that completely replaced the upper mount for their coilover setup. That is what I would use if I got an S550.

• Like 2

Blistein's really? Are they adjustable? Older model ponies used those, I don't know of S197's using them, are they making a comeback or what? Just wondering.

Bilstein makes a fixed monotube shock that is "self adjusting."  Frankly, I don't have a whole lot of experience with Bilstein but they do make OEM parts for several cars.  The ones that stick out in my mind are the Charger SRT's and the Viper ACR.

I won't ever recommend STR.T's to anyone ever again but I think the Sports are perfectly fine for an entry level performance shock.

• Like 2

The thing that bothers me with the S550 suspension is the rear upper shock mount. That thing is so flimsy and the cause of some serious issues like completely failure with the shock punching right through the top. Other issues being noise from a lack of compliance(or excessive compliance). I've done two damper upgrades now on S550s and that mount just plain sucks.

I don't remember which company it was, might have been Ridetech, that completely replaced the upper mount for their coilover setup. That is what I would use if I got an S550.

Vorshlag is working on upper mounts as well. Once they are out Ima tell my dad he needs em.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

Bilstein makes a fixed monotube shock that is "self adjusting." Frankly, I don't have a whole lot of experience with Bilstein but they do make OEM parts for several cars. The ones that stick out in my mind are the Charger SRT's and the Viper ACR.

I won't ever recommend STR.T's to anyone ever again but I think the Sports are perfectly fine for an entry level performance shock.

I had a set of bilstein hd on my previous car, they were a little stiffer but they were a damn fine shock. I'll strongly consider them when I do the mustang.

Love my yellows on the Mustang. The STR.T's on my neon are OK, bordering on meh level but Im probably running too much spring rate for them. 

Kinda surprised it took them this long for s550 fitment

I would never run another koni product. I bought the yellows over the oranges for longevity, and guess what? Installed them mid march, all four were blown by september. I would expect a fucking $20 autozone special to last longer.

Oh and Koni's warranty? I would need to take all four off the car at my expense, ship them to koni at my expense, then have them reinstalled at my expense. It would of been literally cheaper to buy new ones and have them installed. 

Now try doing that every six months. Fuck. That. Shit.

Yea. And that super stupid national champ corvette.... On yellows. Without a single issue. They do revalve them every year as part of their general maintenance, but.... It's literally an AutoX car that travels the country and is driven like a world champion car should be driven. So. Who knows.

Dampers don't mean a whole lot on a dedicated autocross car. Also, they're rebuilding them every year, yet the car never sees above highway speeds. Interesting eh.

Have you ever driven on a so cal AutoX track...? Lol. They are literally the most beat up parking lots with huge pot holes and crazy camber everywhere. This is partially why my buddy totally destroyed his tires, not just mostly destroyed them. The surface beats cars up. The dampers are def getting a workout. And even normal AutoX, you still use them pretty hard.

But yes. They rebuild them every year. But it's a c5, been doing this since it was new. With the yellows. Without issue.

Also, they did s poll on corner ponies, I couldn't believe yellows where on the VAST majority of the cars. I was super surprised. Talk about silent majority vs vocal minority. That page makes a point of ripping on yellows, but yellows where BY FAR the most common lol.

Pretty's gonna nag! I run the sports now for six months & they are holding up. I'll watch for more updates, this thread is making me wonder if a trade to a GT with 3.73's and brembo's may be alright if the note is under $500.00, my cousin just got hired as a Ford salesman in Georgia.

• Like 1