Midnight14

Time for upgrades!

Alright I'm new here but not new to forums. I have my lovely POS ahem I mean my baby. It's a 2014 V6 of course with 54k miles and with the manly shifter. Well here recently I had 2nd gear blow out on me and thank god for extended warranty. I bought the car new and with me being speed racer as always it caught up to me. Now on to the reasoning why it when out...

Within the last year I've had problems of 2nd gear locking out and so on. Then chattering in hot summer days in traffic, constant complaining about it and they say it feels perfectly fine.. Well after they pull my transmission they tell me my friction plate was toast and it needs to be replaced... Here's the kicker.. Haha.. It's not covered under warranty since it's a wear and tear item...

Now onto the point of this story! After getting confirmation that I can go with aftermarket parts pertaining to the clutch and other internals I went on a happy dance!!.. Living with warranty sucks when it comes to upgrades.. Ha.. Anyways I ordered the following..

Spec Aluminum Flywheel

Spec Stage 3 Clutch (6puck)

Braided Clutch Line

Exedy Throwout Bearing

So I pretty much went overkill to say the least but with my driving habits and future plans with this car I might as well while it's all apart. I run up and down mountains, track days, autocross, and slide around. Yes she's a DD but a fun DD ????

Now to the nitty gritty ????

I have read about chatter issues with the aluminum flywheel and revs dropping but since I'm upgrading the clutch line and Throwout bearing wouldn't that help the chatter issue? As far as revs I have no issue with that since mine likes to stay up if I punch it. I guess I'm about to find out if no one chimes in? Lol. I have driven a good friend of mines Roush Stage 5 (650hp, 30psi, McLeod stage 3 gold, light weight flywheel, 4.6L #44 540RH) and honestly it didn't seem like it had chatter or rev dips but then again the blower was pumping air lol.

Anyways I figure I would make a great first post and hope to hear from you guys!

Oh and here's some pictures of her some are of my good friends Roush and my model friend lol. Yes light light crazy but it also doubles as a business car for my shop 87c72002f3fda869e1f0f7a3ceca2a27.jpgdf3b7bedb6b9f6e5adbce44d092a9724.jpg4741a6495eaf1c6a3cce78375f63cd36.jpgb9b16014b58cd32c3bc2daa5f5082a57.jpg8ca08f8f89586bd0288cb5fc4ffb3be6.jpgac3ef0dd1194514f3937630177855c58.jpgb8966161ad3fb45f154b0278276b6a7a.jpgf606b7822fb67204e035e99ab02fa2b4.jpgdbcfa0424d98df2940d27cda91d5e198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I am a little pre disposed with beer and halo 5, but what I will say quickly, if you drive hard, GET AN MGW RACE SPEC! I blew 5th last year racing a slowmaro up a hill, grabbed 5th, and blew it because it locked me out and I forced it in.

Anyways, once the mgw race spec came out I got one band have not looked back!

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel ya man. I had to take some pain killers for my back so I'm a little woozy lmao. As far as the transmission goes I have yet to find out if they are putting in a new factory or rebuilding it. Since it's warranty work I can't do much. I'm lucky to do all the clutch and accessories haha. Plus I'm somewhat new when it comes to performance parts. I can work on a motor all day fixing it but when it comes to upgraded parts.. Well... I go in overkill mode

I actually tried to have Galpin put in a new flywheel and clutch as well. LONG story short (there is a huge thread in here somewhere about it all) they where huge ass wagons about so many things, turned out the clutch was bad, a fellow member ended up buying it used off eBay LOL, crazy shit right. We knew they where the same because they had identical scratches on them. Anyways yea, I ended up on stock original flywheel and clutch, but don't have many miles so nbd.

But seriously the mgw race spec is next level. They change is phenomenal. I came from an AM house brand short throw and a Barton bracket... And they are not even in the same zip code as the mgw. It's not cheap, but I absolutely love it.

Better than an automatic I kill autos with a passion. 6 autos in a 4 year span and this one in a 2 year but I think it was from shitty clutch parts imo.

• Like 1

Well the mt82 isn't built particularly well. It's good enough, but it's not one of those shifters anyone's wishes they had... It gets the job done, and with the mgw it is a lot better. I can't wait to have a better clutch and flywheel tho..,

• Like 1

Come February I plan on changing the shifter, one piece DS,4.10 gears, and a good bit of suspension. If I feel the need I might add power adders but I'm trying to make a quick and slender stock motor.

It's not that hard if an instal. Took me like 4-5 hours with a lift but I have also never done a shifter or anything so I went really slow. Didn't want to mess up any of the threading since it's all really close clearances in there tool and hand wise. Watch their videos and shit if you doing yourself. If you have them do it, they should be able to do it pretty damn easy. You can instal it before you even put the tranny up, so if they bench instal it, shit, it would take like 30 minutes lol.

If only I had the money right now I just blew $1100 on parts and I'm not paying more than an hour of labor since it's all apart

^^ right?! Well my car is on a lift at ford in pieces so the flywheel, clutch, Throwout bearing, and braided clutch line should be a quick install since things are opened up.

Yea. They only charged me like 50 bucks to do my clutch flywheel and SS line swap, they had to put it all back to stock tho. Seriously it was a long story, but yes it's nothing. Only thing they are really doing that so they wouldn't have had to already is the clutch line and the 8 new flywheel bolts.

That ain't bad at all. I'm just ready to be back in her and let the wheels loose. Being stuck in an Ecoboost escape isn't that bad but I'd rather be in a mustang.

• Like 1

On the mgw, they just updated the race spec design. The shifter comes preassembled to the box and is more compact now. It drops into the mgw supports from in the car, rubber boot on and all.

On the mgw, they just updated the race spec design. The shifter comes preassembled to the box and is more compact now. It drops into the mgw supports from in the car, rubber boot on and all.

Wow. The rubber boot took just as much time as the rest of it did combined!

So revision 3 is structurally the same as 2? I know the first design had the rest support that they decided to change. Basically, I'm not missing out on anything am I? Lol

lol how's that "manly shifter" working out for you besides broken?

There's a reason people avoid the MT82.

When it's fixed, he will still be a man driving a manly car, with three pedals.

Bobbitt did get his re-attached, so there's still hope, if you want to return to stock configuration.

• Like 1

When it's fixed, he will still be a man driving a manly car, with three pedals.

Bobbitt did get his re-attached, so there's still hope, if you want to return to stock configuration.

See below

I go by the saying if you drive an automatic you're lazy and can't drive a real car

Well that, or you slid into the boards (hockey) at full speed chasing a guy around the net and completely ruined your ankle, which is held together with various bits of titanium and stainless steel, making your left leg not only shorter than your right, but makes using a clutch for more than a few minutes unbearably painful?

Oh... Let me edit.. Barring medical reasons then my statement doesn't apply ????. I have a herniated disc in the lower lumbar so it does bother me driving but my love for the car makes me deal with it.

• Like 2