Sign in to follow this  
LIGISTX

Bad wheel bearing?

So, I have had a bit of a whine type of noise from what I can only figure is my front left wheel, can only hear it if windows are down and I am driving past something and the sound can bounce back into my window. Well few days ago the "whine" noise which was sort of like metal spinning on metal, but it doesn't sound as bad as that may imply has turned into more of a ticking. By ticking I mean literally how a bad ball bearing would sound if you try and spin it (I have had many a bearing go out on RC cars). But the part I don't get is the noise is very constant, doesn't change with rpm. I don't know what else it would be but a wheel bearing because what else can really make such a noise? But at the same time why doesn't it change with rpm?

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean doesn't change with RPM? Engine RPM? Or do you mean wheel speed?

Wheel RPM, sorry. Should have clarified that. As I accelerate it doesn't appear to change much. Below like 2-3 mph you can't really hear it, then by 5 mph you can, but after about 5-7 mph it doesn't seem to change how it sounds as in doesn't seem to go up in pitch or change how often the clicks happen, maybe its just too fast for me to tell? But to be clear, its not like click, pause, click, pause, there isn't really discernible dead space between the clicks.

What else would it even be? I suppose it could be from the rear somewhere as its hard to tell being in the car. And I have an autox this weekend, hope my car doesn't break.

Bad wheel bearings sound worse and worse the faster you drive, and especially going around corners that load that specific side of the car(i.e turning left with a bad right wheel bearing).

Could be a rock behind the brake rotor between the dust shield.

Bad wheel bearings sound worse and worse the faster you drive, and especially going around corners that load that specific side of the car(i.e turning left with a bad right wheel bearing).

O, interesting. I make a hard and spirited right turn every day going to work, and this noise is from the left side of my car, so according to you that would make it sound pretty horrible, but there is nothing to the left of me except dirt for days at that point, and without anything to reflect the sound back into my window I can't hear it at all. So I have no idea..... What else could this be!?

It is definitely something spinning. It just sounds like spinning, and I only hear it from the left window, but doesn't mean it can't be from under the car. I have no idea.

A bad wheel bearing would reverberate throughout the car, you wouldn't need something for it to reflect off of.

A bad wheel bearing would reverberate throughout the car, you wouldn't need something for it to reflect off of.

Hmm, any idea than? Could it possibly be a pump that is going out that I just thought was coming from the wheel? I seriously have no clue what could cause this. I guess I should probably have someone take a look at it. I had my dad listen for it since he used to own a tow company he knows a thing or two, but he couldn't hear it :/

Sounds silly but get the car washed and try again.  Go to a touchless and get a wash that has like a wheel cleaning jet or something.

Sounds silly but get the car washed and try again.  Go to a touchless and get a wash that has like a wheel cleaning jet or something.

I have cleaned my wheels multiple times since this has started lol. I REALLY don't think its just dirt somewhere. I am trying to remember if it was there before or after I got my new brake pads... And I can't remember.