Sign in to follow this  
V6 Cannonballer

Dead Pony

Well I think a bad tune can easily kill a motor, but that's not the point.

Tell them to prove to you your mods blew the motor, otherwise tell them to read the magnusson moss warranty act.

Well, what would be bad, only things that can cause issue are lean or rich, or knock. What else can actually go wrong...? Lean will make it run hot and obviously thats no bueno. Too rich, at least in the RC car world can cause your rod to split down the middle, and knock obviously is knock and aint good. What else can really go wrong? And it being NA, not that much stress on the motor...

• Like 1

Well, what would be bad, only things that can cause issue are lean or rich, or knock. What else can actually go wrong...? Lean will make it run hot and obviously thats no bueno. Too rich, at least in the RC car world can cause your rod to split down the middle, and knock obviously is knock and aint good. What else can really go wrong? And it being NA, not that much stress on the motor...

A bad tune can kill ANY motor extremely quickly. Too lean and it melts pistons, too rich and it won't really kill the motor like lean can, but the fuel washes down the cylinder walls and gets into the oil, and fuel isn't exactly a good lubricant...

• Like 1

A bad tune can kill ANY motor extremely quickly. Too lean and it melts pistons, too rich and it won't really kill the motor like lean can, but the fuel washes down the cylinder walls and gets into the oil, and fuel isn't exactly a good lubricant...

Yea I know, but what I said was those things are easy to see in a datalog. Its not like an FI car that suddenly overboosts and goes boom. Thats all I was saying, the few issues that can come up in an NA tune should be seen in the logs.

• Like 1

If Ford will cover it under the warranty, I'll gladly dream of continuing to modify the car as the years pass.  If they don't I'm sure the cost and the headache will burn me enough to stick with my current frame of mind, which is to just do what I can and call it a day.  

I did get a hold of someone at Ford who is willing to take a look at it under warranty, so there is hope. 

• Like 1

Thing is, I might like to drive this thing "spritely" in a well-spirited manner from time to time, but it is my baby.  I take care of it.  What it needs, it gets.  Near catastrophic failure is a bit of surprise, to say the least.

Thing is, I might like to drive this thing "spritely" in a well-spirited manner from time to time, but it is my baby.  I take care of it.  What it needs, it gets.  Near catastrophic failure is a bit of surprise, to say the least.

I drive mine spiritedly from time to time and really have never thought I would do damage to it. Shit, McCarthy has beaten on his car enough for all of us normal cyclone owners and he hasn't had an issue....

• Like 2

Too bad I'm strapped down so hard these days.  I REALLY CANNOT AFFORD another vehicle, even on a 10 year payment plan.  Too much life has popped up and slapped us in the face this year.  If I could, I'd consider a '16 5.0.  But nope.  Can't do it.

Too bad I'm strapped down so hard these days.  I REALLY CANNOT AFFORD another vehicle, even on a 10 year payment plan.  Too much life has popped up and slapped us in the face this year.  If I could, I'd consider a '16 5.0.  But nope.  Can't do it.

Lol, trust me, I hear you on that one.

• Like 1

Where did this notion come from that these engines cant handle regular thrashings? The modular Ford V8s (Ive never had a Cyclone) I ver even owned have been beaten like a Somali thief and havent had issues.

Your description of the sounds it is making is very close to what my 2 engines did when I broke a piston. First was tune related and possibly overboost on the turbo. The second was all overboost by the turbo. With evidence of a tune Ford will probably send a field engineer out to check it before authorizing repairs. Won't be tough for them to say "we determined that you changed the tuning parameters and that caused the failure". You can toss out Magnuson act all you want, but once Ford determines that the engine they built didn't fail, rather the engine that you built failed, then the burden of persuasion shifts to you in any court action (not the burden of proof, the burden of persuasion - different matter because Ford will have their analysis and more than likely will have met the burden of proof).

Can't you just put it back to stock, or is it now in their possession? I am not sure if they can know if it was ever tuned. I know systems that could tell can be made and used, but I am saying I am not sure if ford actually has such systems in our cars.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't you just put it back to stock, or is it now in their possession? I am not sure if they can know if it was ever tuned. I know systems that could tell can be made and used, but I am saying I am not sure if ford actually has such systems in our cars.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

This question was answered back in 2010 when James Bonds used to reflash their ECUs back to the stock tune in order to try to warranty an engine that Uncle Cletus's tune blew up. Everytime the ECU is updated or messed with it makes a little tick on an electronic counter (like a turnstile at a baseball game). So a factory car would have the counter at 0 or 1. If the counter number is greater than what the car left the factory with and there is no corresponding service history showing that Ford updated the stock tune, then they conclude that an aftermarket tune was downloaded to the car, regardless of what tune was on the car when the car was brought in.

There have been plenty of cases where tuned engines were covered under warranty for internal engine failures and plenty of cases where they werent. Its a combination of circumstances, luck, and personalities, but considering we are talking multiple thousands of dollars worth of damage & repairs, it only makes sense to try the warranty route first.

• Like 2

By that logic you can say the last "click" was your new tune, so if you went let's say 40k miles after that click that would be a pretty persuasive argument depending on the judge it wasn't your fault.

Cases like this take a long time if you actually decide to go through with it. Then there is the appeal process as well. You can appeal to the state and supreme appellate courts.

The counter argument of course is still JimC's point that technically since its "your" tune it's not "Ford's" engine so the act doesn't apply. Which is sound. But there are other variables at play that question a simple interpretation such as that. This is probably something the judges can go either way on, but to be perfectly honest favoring the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly doesn't hurt to try and get warranty coverage, but at the end of the day it's something all of us modders must be prepared for, having to pay to play.

You can't really be upset if Ford denies a warranty claim on a tuned motor that pops.

Like others said it doesn't hurt to try and they need to prove that whatever you have done to the car cause the failure.

You really got to see some of the torture tests they put these motors through to really understand the engineering and

thought that goes into a motor.  Our "spirited" driving is nothing compared to what the factory does to test these beasts.

• Like 1

DAMN...

I'm dyslexic.

The car has 64K miles, not 46K!

I got away with a free tow to Ford, but the diagnostics will cost about $125 or so.

Piss... What a way to start my week...

:/

...Well at least ask Ford about some goodwill considering it's barely out of warranty...

And next time please be more careful with such an important detail! All of our posts were assuming your car was under warranty...

• Like 2

...Well at least ask Ford about some goodwill considering it's barely out of warranty...

And next time please be more careful with such an important detail! All of our posts were assuming your car was under warranty...

Very sorry about that.  I thought it was still under warranty, too.  Couldn't believe I made that huge an error.  Wanted to scream when the dealer called and corrected me.  So, I'm out a few hundred bucks on the inspection.

Anyhow...

Looking at $9K to replace the engine and transmission.  The lesser options are not really any better.  I have neither the tools nor the experience for a DIY job.  Most certainly not the money.  Don't have that kind of credit on VISA.  Don't have it in savings.

I figure I'll try to sell it locally (drag-away as-is) or scrap it.  I can't really part it out because the city would fine my socks off and tow it to impound.  They don't tolerate non-running "project cars" here. 

I know it sounds like I'm giving up too easy, but I'm just too far up against the wall on this one. 

Mega apologies for the mistake.