Sign in to follow this  
V6 Cannonballer

Dead Pony

46,000 miles and threw a rod or two.  Happened on the way to work this morning at around 2,000 RPM of all things.  Well...I'm sure the problem developed sooner, but it just didn't rear its ugly head until today.  Came on suddenly, as I was slowing from a brisk 4,000 RPM gallop at around 60 MPH.  I guess I've just been romping on it too hard over the past 5 years.  I never operate it above 5,000 RPM, and seldom shift as high as 6K, because the MT-82 transmission just doesn't like to cooperate at 6K or above.  I thought the engine could handle my driving style.  Apparently not.  Crank case was full.  4K miles since my last oil change.  Synthetic blend.  Very regular with oil changes.

In the right circumstance, I would take advantage and have the bottom end forged, but this has been a hard year all the way around.  Been bleeding money left and right on all kinds of unforeseen problems.  Not sure I can even swing the price of a basic short block.  

Will put my trike back together and use it as a daily commuter until I can do something with the Pony.  I've lost interest in modding this thing any further.  Never expected to blast connecting rods with spirited driving at 5,000 RPM and below, especially at only 46,000 miles.

Life is what happens when you've made other plans.

Nonsense. Its either your tune or there was a defect in the rod from the factory. A Cyclone should handle alot of abuse as long as it gets fuel and oil. If youre still under the 5/60, I would take it in and see what they say.

• Like 2

Weird. I rev my car to 7500 RPM with 53k miles and no problems. 100+ passes at the strip easily. Usually run it up to 6k at least once a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

At least I paid it off a year early (last November).  It made it possible for me to get another set of wheels, though that set is not without its own challenges.  These things come and go.  Too bad they always come at what seems the worst possible times, but such is life.  Our cars don't get out alive, neither do we.  Might well do the best we can with the hand we're dealt.

Sorry to hear man. That's so unfortunate.

When did you get the car? Unless you where a very early adopter it should still be under power train warranty, no?

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your car should still be well under the powertrain warranty.

Obviously it had nothing to do with you driving it hard, as you don't. Keeping a car under 5000rpm is not romping on it, I assure you. I think my car is a testament to that.

• Like 2

Damn that sucks.  I think mine might be on its way out.  Been running bad lately and hearing a knock type of noise once in a while.  Might have to build a new engine soon to swap in.  Not a great time for me either as I just bought a house and have been doing things to it and buying some new furniture.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your troubles!

What makes you think a rod failed? Usually when a rod fails it blows a window in the block and the piston smacks the head, pretty much destroying the entire engine.

• Like 2

Grim is right. I have seen two cars with rods that went, always interesting to see into the innards of the block while its all still bolted together....

• Like 1

It knocks like a son of a b**ch.  Nothing through the block (yet) but it sure sounds like it wants to punch through.  Hammer blows, not a low little tap-tap.  Heavy knocks and high pitched metal squeals that closely resemble the sounds of a loose fan belt.  The engine shakes violently and sounds like a diesel while the other noises are occurring.  It won't run at idle.  They're gonna tear it down and inspect it.  I doubt bad gas was a contributor.  I had that happen with another car years ago, and it died a mile or two after I left the gas station, not several days later like this one did.  Can't help but wonder if something was haywire with the MPT tune?  But then I've been running that tune for a year or two, so...  

It knocks like a son of a b**ch.  Nothing through the block (yet) but it sure sounds like it wants to punch through.  Hammer blows, not a low little tap-tap.  Heavy knocks and high pitched metal squeals that closely resemble the sounds of a loose fan belt.  The engine shakes violently and sounds like a diesel while the other noises are occurring.  It won't run at idle.  They're gonna tear it down and inspect it.  I doubt bad gas was a contributor.  I had that happen with another car years ago, and it died a mile or two after I left the gas station, not several days later like this one did.  Can't help but wonder if something was haywire with the MPT tune?  But then I've been running that tune for a year or two, so...  

Hopefully this isn't going to be a trend that happens to MPT powered cars................ But assuming it was datalogged and all looked fine, I don't think it would be. Only thing a bad NA tune could do is make it too lean or rich correct? Both can cause irreparable damage, but assuming the logs looked good I don't think this would be the case, at least I hope.

But are you will within warranty? Nothing like getting a brand new motor for free!!!

• Like 1

They won't honor the warranty because of the mod's.  Even if I had thought to reflash it with the factory tune, there's no way I could have hidden the fact that something else had been there.  The overall look of the car (side pipes, CAI, cowl hood, lowered springs, aftermarket LCA's, wider GT wheels and tires, etc. says, "he ain't granny."    

Reminds me of what happened to my Focus. Traded it in after and engine replacement and still regret it for not sticking it out. You have it paid off so thats a huge plus. Car-part.com shows engines in your area around your mileage for 1k-ish so it shouldnt cost too much more to get it back on the road. 

• Like 1

They won't honor the warranty because of the mod's.  Even if I had thought to reflash it with the factory tune, there's no way I could have hidden the fact that something else had been there.  The overall look of the car (side pipes, CAI, cowl hood, lowered springs, aftermarket LCA's, wider GT wheels and tires, etc. says, "he ain't granny."    

Magnusson moss warranty acts. They have to PROVE the parts caused the motor to pop. Do NOT give up that easily.

• Like 3

Magnusson moss warranty acts. They have to PROVE the parts caused the motor to pop. Do NOT give up that easily.

I am with him on this one. Ford gave me a new tranny even though I had shifter, gears, DS, all of that. They can't prove those made it fail (they definitely didn't), and I bet it would be hard for them to prove anything about your mods causing the issue. If it gets there, threaten them with litigation if you feel they are just trying to muscle you out of a motor. If they genuinely seem to have proof, maybe don't, but if they are just bluffing, call em on it. EVEN with a bad tune, it would be weird for a motor to throw rods while just driving down the street..... I assume a bolt came loose and that will turn your day into a shitty day real quick.

• Like 1

I am with him on this one. Ford gave me a new tranny even though I had shifter, gears, DS, all of that. They can't prove those made it fail (they definitely didn't), and I bet it would be hard for them to prove anything about your mods causing the issue. If it gets there, threaten them with litigation if you feel they are just trying to muscle you out of a motor. If they genuinely seem to have proof, maybe don't, but if they are just bluffing, call em on it. EVEN with a bad tune, it would be weird for a motor to throw rods while just driving down the street..... I assume a bolt came loose and that will turn your day into a shitty day real quick.

Well I think a bad tune can easily kill a motor, but that's not the point.

Tell them to prove to you your mods blew the motor, otherwise tell them to read the magnusson moss warranty act.

• Like 1

Something I hadn't thought about: the weird 3-2K RPM dual mass decel vibes seemed to ease up to 4K a few weeks ago.  I thought I was imagining things, but now that I ponder it, the car did seem to vibrate a bit more than usual, even on acceleration.  Since I still have the factory DS and the car already shakes and vibes and shudders anyway, I didn't think much of it.  Wondering now if there's something to it?