Sign in to follow this  
SRT

Understanding

Here's a good read from EngineBuilder mag. I sat an read these a few times. It's a great publication!

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/87734/understanding_spark_plug_heat_range.aspx

"When in doubt, if you're going to miss it, miss it cold" is my advice.

also don't forget some manufacturers have different numbering for hot or colder plugs.NGK's the higher the number the colder the plug and the lower the number the hotter the plug. with A/C delco and auto lite  the lower the number the colder the plug and the higher the number the hotter the plug. ND's are like the NGK numbering with heat ranges.

That was very good stuff.  So who all went out to go get new spark plugs? :superblue:  (yeah...I didn't)

Just put new plugs in 3 days ago.

NGK makes a great plug. I've tried others in other vehicles but $/quality..NGK is very good. I noticed even the ceramic is clocked the same on a set of plugs I bought once. (I was indexing plugs hoping for gains).

Used to do that too. I understand the theory and know it is true, but can't say I have ever seen anything that proves results from it. 20 years later though, I still index the plugs on a race car.

• Like 1

NGK makes a great plug. I've tried others in other vehicles but $/quality..NGK is very good. I noticed even the ceramic is clocked the same on a set of plugs I bought once. (I was indexing plugs hoping for gains).

What shoukd they be gapped at? I'm running a 75hit?

usually you run .032-.035 for F/I applications. I would try going .045 on the gap. that way if it's acting good on it you could bump up the gap to .047.

I'd at least go down to .040 if I wasn't sure. You won't be losing anything significant. The heat won't come up the strap as much the less gap you have. If you know the combination you can experiment with wider when you know you are "safe".

The other factor is DA, actually. That's less cyl pressure right there so you may be ok going with more gap after you feel you are safe to move up in gap. Removing just the upper to reset gap isn't too bad once you've done it a couple of times.

Cool so stock gap its not that big of a hit anyway guess ill be fine

That's what they're showing there but get some input from the locals there too. It cannot hurt to ask. Low side of spec maybe .049.

usually you run .032-.035 for F/I applications. I would try going .045 on the gap. that way if it's acting good on it you could bump up the gap to .047.

NO, that is too much gap with a 75 shot. It might be fine, might not, but I would treat it like boost, run a heat range colder plug and gap it down around .035" see how it acts, you can always open the gap, but if you go too wide you could hurt it on the spray.

NO, that is too much gap with a 75 shot. I would treat it like boost, run a heat range colder plug and gap it down around .032"

If I was unclear, the whole time I was speaking of a 1 step colder plug regardless of the gap.

I should have made that clearer, if I didn't.

I'd ask those with nitrous experience with these engines on the gap but that article said for that little a shot, though it's more comparatively to a 3.7, that the gaps wouldn't need adjusting down. I think what you are suggesting is the safest route to go when in doubt. Again, the upper isn't too difficult to remove to regap if needed.