Unclenard

Custom Aluminum Intake By Unclenard

I decided to fabricate a custom aluminum intake after doing a lot of research and seeing different examples of intakes being tried on the V6 3.7L Cyclone engines.  There have also been promises of custom intakes being made by MMR and Super Six Motorsports but they have never materialized and were going to be very expensive.  Then there is the Jenvey intake but it is expensive and has the tuning nightmare to go along with it.  Even after doing the CAD design myself I got a quote from a local fabrication shop and they were still estimating $3,000.  It was after this and researching what the materials would cost that I decided to attempt making it on my own.

Design
The goals I wanted in designing the intake:
1. Replace both the upper and lower intakes
2. Keep the OEM fuel rails and injectors (not going to happen)
3. Fit under my Trufiber hood - no strut tower brace
4. Use the factory gaskets

Things I had to take into consideration:
1. The PCV tubes from the valve covers went into the intake tube and the OEM upper intake behind the throttle body.
2. The EVAP line goes into the upper intake right behind the throttle body.
3. The OEM lower intake has the coolant tube built into it.
4. The brake booster has a vacuum line going into the OEM upper intake near the throttle body.
5. Since the throttle body location is moved the normal CAI intake tubes won't work.

Research
The following were sites that I kept going back to study the designs and calculations of various intakes.
Intake Manifold Design
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/361799-Intake-manifold-design
Jack's turbo build (was originally a twin turbo build)
http://houston-imports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12906043&postcount=421
Sauwnthony's twin turbo Fox body build
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/346706-395-twin-T70-s-Full-3-5-exhaust-A-C-PS-billet-intake-stock-hood-pizza?p=1779582#post1779582
Intake Manifold Tech: Runner Size Calculations
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/michaeldelaney/130-intake-manifold-tech-runner-size-calculations.html
Calculation Of Intake Runner Length
http://www.exx.se/techinfo/runners/runners.html
Tech Feature: Custom Racing Intake Manifolds
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/tech-feature-custom-racing-intake-manifolds/
Intake Manifold flow analysis
http://josephrinek.com/intakemanifold.html
Wilson Manifolds
http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com
Also MMR, Popeye and KerrDog's manifolds and countless other sites that I didn't save the links for.

Materials
Once I finish this project I'll list what materials and parts were involved in making this and where I got them from.

Pictures
Flanges before I milled the runner and injector holes larger.  I wanted to use the factory gaskets so I didn't have to worry about machining it flat again after it got welded.

InitialFlanges.jpg

Here it is after I got it back from the welder and I cut and drilled the plexi top but the screw holes aren't counter sunk yet.

MustangV6Intake01.jpg

MustangV6Intake07.jpg

I'm having to alter the fuel injector bungs in the flanges and am in the process of making a custom fuel rail.  Work of this has been extremely slow and there have been many bumps along the road.  I now can fully understand the custom involved in making something like this; even for an experienced shop.

• Like 10

When you get them complete, you should find someone with a flow bench to test the end result against your ported upper & lowers to see if the r&d was worth it. 

Are you designing this with N/A or FI in mind?

• Like 1

My flow bench will be the 1/4 mile.  It will either make more power, be no different or hurt.  I have no idea how to find someone local with a flow bench.  Hell I can't find a shop that knows how or can adjust my pinion angle, freaking ridiculous.  I'll probably drive back over to Orlando to get on the rollers again at MPT too.  They are anxious to look at the logs and dial it in.

Designed it with N/A in mind.  The plenum doesn't look very big in the pictures but it is actually nearly 6 liters in volume so around 1.6 times the engine volume.

• Like 1

great job. I can't wait to see how it performs.I also have ideas for an intake that i'll eventually end up building in the near future.

Let me know if you would like a set of flanges.  I already have talked to Jack in TX that was building the twin turbo six.

Perhaps I can't make it out in the pictures, it appears that the runners extend about halfway up into the intake box. What impact, if any, do you think will be from air being able to go down around the runners instead of entering the intake and going right into them?

Looks sexier every time I see those pics. I'm on the way home tonight. Let me know if you want me to send you those orings before you resize the bungs......I said.......resize those bungs. The curse of a brain being stuck at 12 years old.

• Like 1

What size will the intake opening be?

Using my BBK 73mm throttle body and a Airaid Coyote intake with the insert in to reduce the MAF cross section area.  I will probably test with the insert removed too.

• Like 1

How are you running the cooling connections?

A 3.5 F150 coolant pipe thanks to popeye's ingenuity.

Pic from popeye

F150_Coolant_Pipe.jpg

• Like 1

What did you arrive at for runner length and plenum volume, and how do those two compare to stock? As a guy who gave up a little midrange to get a ton of top end on my Focus with a Cosworth intake mani, this is pretty interesting

A 3.5 F150 coolant pipe thanks to popeye's ingenuity.

Pic from popeye

F150_Coolant_Pipe.jpg

That crafty Popeye guy.

And yes if we can stretch the powerband a bit more and get even more power up top would be great.

What did you arrive at for runner length and plenum volume, and how do those two compare to stock? As a guy who gave up a little midrange to get a ton of top end on my Focus with a Cosworth intake mani, this is pretty interesting

I'll have to measure to see what the runner length ended at.  It had to be shorter than what I was hoping for but not by much.  I didn't even try to measure the factory intake with its flat curving design.  I wanted a more direct flow while still trying to maintain runner length given the limited amount of space for this engine.

Any feasibility of a plastic/composite mani with the same design intents? Either 3D printed or injection molded?

• Like 1

Any feasibility of a plastic/composite mani with the same design intents? Either 3D printed or injection molded?

Anything is possible given enough time and money.  I've read about people wanting to make molds for other things and they are always very, very expensive.  3D printing I'm guessing would require a special material and printer to do so.  If the material is getting heated up to print then wouldn't the heat of the engine also melt it?  I don't know, didn't look into it.

• Like 1

Anything is possible given enough time and money.  I've read about people wanting to make molds for other things and they are always very, very expensive.  3D printing I'm guessing would require a special material and printer to do so.  If the material is getting heated up to print then wouldn't the heat of the engine also melt it?  I don't know, didn't look into it.

I know Koenigsegg among others is actually 3d printing metal parts including titanium parts like exhaust and even their turbocharger components. As far as feasibility and costs I haven't the foggiest.

HOLY SHIT. That looks amazing. Me wants.

Thanks.  Look even better after some polishing and it is actually on the engine.  Been working on this for way too long.

• Like 1

This looks so cool dude. Very impressive! I really hope it drops a couple tenths off your quarter mile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1