Sign in to follow this  
buildingsleeper2

Info on the BBK throttle bodies

Guys just to let you know, the electric motors that move the throttle valve are very weak and over time the response will lag badly. I experienced this early on and ended up replacing it with the one from the stock throttle body. the stock one is much stronger and the response stays very crisp. mine now you jump on it and it instant WOT and not a second in lag like the original one that comes with it.

Hmm. How do you go about changing them? Mine still feels instant, but if it's not too hard to swap them I will do it for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's not hard to change it. just remove the plastic plate for the wire connector the tool needed is a T20 torque's bit and then remove the plastic wheel. right under that is the motor and that takes a T20 also. assemble the same way it came apart and that's it.make sure the ground prongs on the bottom of the motor are clean and rust free before you put it back together.

• Like 1

it's not hard to change it. just remove the plastic plate for the wire connector the tool needed is a T20 torque's bit and then remove the plastic wheel. right under that is the motor and that takes a T20 also. assemble the same way it came apart and that's it.make sure the ground prongs on the bottom of the motor are clean and rust free before you put it back together.

I will do this tonight! You have actually experienced the BBK unit start to be laggy? I am just surprised, is this a known issue or something just you have experienced? I am just curious as so many people have been using these TB's and no one has said anything, although if it is a slow issue that gradually creeps in, I can see how it would be hard to notice.

I will do this tonight! You have actually experienced the BBK unit start to be laggy? I am just surprised, is this a known issue or something just you have experienced? I am just curious as so many people have been using these TB's and no one has said anything, although if it is a slow issue that gradually creeps in, I can see how it would be hard to notice.

what had happened was I had cleaned up the intake manifolds and replaced the plugs along with the O2 sensors. afterwards the car started to lag badly when you jumped on it a from half throttle.I checked everything out to make sure there wasn't any vacuum leaks and since that was good I talked to Mike the person who tuned my car. he suggested to replace it with the stock one. I did that and it got better but, it didn't cure the problem since it was tuned with the bigger throttle body.so by chance I replaced the electric motor with the extra stock one I had.since then everything has been back to normal and since the response is so much better and no more lag in the midrange from a half throttle take off.

• Like 1

Also, the OEM motor should have enough power to actuate the larger bbk flap? I know we are talking like a minuscule amount of increased weight because of the larger valve, but it shouldn't be an issue?

Intresting...I have the BBK TB and I don't think I have experienced this but I will keep my stock TB in case I do so I can make the switch. Tom would you be willing to do a write up with pics on how to to this?

• Like 1

I hate to say it but I'm just not surprised.  After a lot of personal deliberation, I think the only throttle body I would trust is an FRPP or OEM throttle body.

Intresting...I have the BBK TB and I don't think I have experienced this but I will keep my stock TB in case I do so I can make the switch. Tom would you be willing to do a write up with pics on how to to this?

I can do a write up on it. I don't have a camera to take pics though. it's a very straight forward swap with little to do.the motor only goes in 1 way and so does the actuator wheel.

The symptoms appeared immediately after other work was done, I wonder if there is some interaction?

mine was acting up the day I got it with the idle fluctuating too much so it just finally took a crap and went bad.

Also, the OEM motor should have enough power to actuate the larger bbk flap? I know we are talking like a minuscule amount of increased weight because of the larger valve, but it shouldn't be an issue?

the stock motor is stronger. the spring on the butterfly in the stock TB is much stronger than the one in the BBK.

• Like 1

I'd be interesting in picking up a stock motor and butterfly spring if available. I don't want to disassemble my stock TB which I'll need for smog testing.

I'd be interesting in picking up a stock motor and butterfly spring if available. I don't want to disassemble my stock TB which I'll need for smog testing.

The stock TB influences smog...? Why? How would they even know? Lol.

Guess good thing I still have mine.

They may or may not notice on inspection. I'm not taking the chance since it's easy to put back on. A failure due to not being CARB certified would probably mean a rather large fine, $1000+.

Yea. I'll find a shop that is a little more lax. I hope. Because pretty sure the shorties, tb, and hell is the JLT CAI even carb certified in Cali...?

None of these things effect it at all tho. We all know this. Lol. Shit, up till I did my gears, I only GAINED mpg. I was up at like 33-34 highway before 3.73's.