Sign in to follow this  
nastang87xx

Custom Exhaust Baffle for Borla Mufflers

Since the Borla mufflers have such extreme tips, there are no options available for a baffle to reduce the sound for my race days.  I'm back with my ATAKs because I'm just not satisfied with any other options other than Borla and I don't want to buy mufflers over again from FRPP or Borla.  So for race days, I had a friend fabricate something up.  Check this out...

IMAG0877_zps9ac08890.jpg

The baffle is about 4 1/8" wide and a 2.5" outlet.  It's secured down with two rubber stops on the ends of two screws.  The pipe is perforated.  It's about 5" long.  This is just a prototype so we'll see how it does!  If we have to, we'll wrap the pipe in packing or make the outlet even smaller to restrict more sound.

• Like 1

So how does that work? Does it go in the muffler tip?

Exactly.  Those two screws will anchor the baffle to the walls of the tips without damaging them.  They're not meant to be permanent like some of these from Vibrant Fabrication or Harley Davidson.  I'll be posting pics and vids.

What kind of packing material are you going to use? Steel wool? Fiberglass? Being in the tip of the muffler it will see greatly reduced temps so I think you have some pretty good options.

What kind of packing material are you going to use? Steel wool? Fiberglass? Being in the tip of the muffler it will see greatly reduced temps so I think you have some pretty good options.

Not sure yet.  I think probably steel wool if it comes down to that.  I'll just get something from Summit if need be.  I think as long as I can get these tips to not act like an effin megaphone because of the shape of the tips I should be good.  Since the perforations are so large too and that the baffle is made of hardened steel, I'm hoping a lot of the sound just cancels out and/or bounces around in the, what will be, a chamber surrounding the center pipe.

Not worried it will restrict flow and hurt power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what Peter said.  Plus, the GT already has resonators that neck down to 2" anyway from the factory right after the mid pipe.  Not concerned one bit.  I'd be willing to go to 1 3/4 if I had to that far downstream.  I'd be more worried of the baffle getting popped out at that point; forget the exhaust flow.

what Peter said. Plus, the GT already has resonators that neck down to 2" anyway from the factory right after the mid pipe. Not concerned one bit. I'd be willing to go to 1 3/4 if I had to that far downstream. I'd be more worried of the baffle getting popped out at that point; forget the exhaust flow.

True. The resonators are a good point. I'm pretty curious how this goes. Might have to get myself a set at some point if it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, so attempt one, I ran into a slight problem.  The sides of the back end of the baffle are slightly too wide.  I have to angle it in with the slash cut on the front end and it fits PERFECTLY.  But I can't angle the back end enough to get it into the tip so it'll have to be grinded down on the sides a bit.  The rolled tips are interfering.  With that said, I'm not sure if it's doing its job.  What I did do though was hold the baffle in place to see if at least the back end was blocking any sound and while it did, it was not much at all, barely noticeable.  I think I'll have to get packing PLUS have a new one made and neck down to 2" if not less.  Maybe even 1 3/4".

I don't want the stuff to blow out on me so I'll spend a few extra bucks to do it right.

Are we talking about exhaust or tacos?  :focus:

• Like 2

I really hope this works for you. Kind of something so simple it's stupid.

I'm confident something will happen!  A 5" x 4.25" baffle is a pretty serious piece.  Magnaflow has mufflers around that size that quiet things down pretty seriously.  I'll make sure to put enough packing around the core too.  I might end up using at least half of that 18 ft roll of wool.

New size fits perfectly.  Got the steel wool today.  Just waiting on both baffles to be built and then I'll give it a shot!

• Like 2

This sounds like a pretty cool little project.  You think the baffles will be done today?

Probably not today but it definitely needs to be done before Saturday.  That's my next race.