Sign in to follow this  
Nyke

DIY: Engine Bay Cleaning

Hello FFM!

This guide will assist you in cleaning your engine bay and giving it a great shine ready for show.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any issues or damage that may result of inducing water or any other product into your engine bay!

You will need:

Engine Bay Cleaner / Degreaser (Purple Power Degreaser)

Engine Bay Shine (Gunk Engine Protector - Shine)

Soft Towels or rags

Water source

This is best done when the engine is cold.

Open your hood and remove any large debris manually (leaves, rocks, wood chips)

med_gallery_412_140_836096.jpg

Start by spraying your engine bay with LIGHT water pressure. Avoid any electronic connections.

Spray engine cleaner / degreaser over the engine bay and let sit 5-10 minutes.

med_gallery_412_140_2303985.jpg

The engine cleaner / degreaser will remove wax. Make sure to re-apply wax after engine cleaning is completed.

The Engine protectant I used is sufficient, most are.

Rinse the engine bay with light water pressure.

Once you are finished rinsing the engine bay wipe it down with a soft towel / rag.

Apply the engine bay shine you selected.

med_gallery_412_140_797466.jpg

Let the engine bay soak in the engine bay shine, close the hood and start the engine, let the engine bay heat up.

This will cause the engine bay shine to evaporate and get in all the tight places.

When this is all done your engine will look like this once you pop the hood.

gallery_412_140_2737035.jpg

Enjoy your shining engine bay!

-Nyke

• Like 1

Reviving an old thread lol. 

For more peace of mind. One can cover/seal any electronic wires/connections up with a plastic bag and some electrical tape really well. That way one is not avoiding and risking getting wet any electronic connections; covering those up should minimize or completely keep the water out. 

Reviving an old thread lol.

For more peace of mind. One can cover/seal any electronic wires/connections up with a plastic bag and some electrical tape really well. That way one is not avoiding and risking getting wet any electronic connections; covering those up should minimize or completely keep the water out.

One thing I have learned playing with salvage cars is the Fords fair extremely well in floods. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Like 1

I wonder if people wrap their engine electronics when driving the car through rain! ;)

Obviously not haha

One thing I have learned playing with salvage cars is the Fords fair extremely well in floods. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've heard people covering up all the electrical stuff just for peace of mind and thought I would share that.

I've never done this method personally, I just use 2 microfiber towels a damp one to clean my engine bay and a dry one to dry it off. I'm aware I'm not cleaning the tight spaces but this is the way I've been doing it for a while and at least I'm cleaning most or at least some of the engine bay haha

I don't really go nuts cleaning my car's engine bay, however after fixing an oil leak on a customer car I will soak everything in Spray9 and hose the phuck out of that engine compartment until it's spotless.

I don't really go nuts cleaning my car's engine bay, however after fixing an oil leak on a customer car I will soak everything in Spray9 and hose the phuck out of that engine compartment until it's spotless.

You are a consumate professional. I bet when the customer gets the car back they get a hard on after seeing their engine bay. Sometimes its the little things that go a long way.

• Like 1

Honestly it isn't to impress the customer but to make 100% sure the leak is fixed. The engine had to be completely clean in order to see if any new leaks are present.

The worst one wasn't a leak however, but a serpentine belt that melted from a seized pulley and deposited solid-melted rubber throughout the engine bay. I had to scrape it off by hand!!

So Grim, on these cars it's fairly safe to just take a hose to the engine bay? I have dust and crap in hard to reach crevices I wouldn't mind removing...

So Grim, on these cars it's fairly safe to just take a hose to the engine bay? I have dust and crap in hard to reach crevices I wouldn't mind removing...

Absolutely. Your fuse box is sealed, all wiring connectors are weather-proofed, you can go to town with a hose. Just think how hard water hits your engine compartment when driving in the rain.

• Like 1

The only thing I wrap up when I spray down the engine bay is my air filter (just don't forget to unwrap it before you start the car  :whistle:)  . I've never had any problems.

I use simple green myself for cleaning. I used it when I was racing and it cleaned the bike up like new. just a bit of advice if you use a pressure washer don't point it at your gasket surfaces because it can drive water into your oil or intake manifold and cause a hydraulic lock on the motor.

Be careful with simple green and other products if you have a strut tower brace. The chemical cleaners can spot. Found out last summer, spent a day cleaning and polishing the STB afterwards

Be careful with simple green and other products if you have a strut tower brace. The chemical cleaners can spot. Found out last summer, spent a day cleaning and polishing the STB afterwards

Yeah...Jay Leno made a similar comment about Simple Green a week or two ago.

Every time I wash the car I hose the engine off.  Sometimes I'll wipe it with an old wash mitt with suds from the wheel and tire bucket.  Never really messed around with shining it up though.

Ive wiped my engine down a couple times. But ive never taken the hose to it. Im too chicken shit to do it haha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ive wiped my engine down a couple times. But ive never taken the hose to it. Im too chicken shit to do it haha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Grow some balls haha.

Seriously though, that's the same reason I had first started wiping my engine down and then just stuck to it. But grim said we should be good! I guess if something does go wrong we can hold someone accountable? ????

• Like 1

. Im too chicken shit to do it haha

I was too for a while. Then one day I said F it I'm going to try it. Engine looked great afterwords and now I do it often.

• Like 1

But grim said we should be good! I guess if something does go wrong we can hold someone accountable?

Hahaha try me.

-Grimace427 INC. LLC

• Like 1

you can dilute it with 2/3rds simple green and 1/3rd water. this way it's not overly strong and washes off much easier.

Nyke's engine bay looked terrific. After 4 years and a few spot cleanings I'm going to take the plunge and follow his directions. The rest of my car looks great, might as well get the engine bay up to snuff. Thanks for the write up Nyke.