Sign in to follow this  
Sawhit2

Front Lower Control Arm TSB 13-7-8

I was driving my mustang at the mall a week ago and over the speed bumps I thought my car was going to fall apart. I took it into Rod Baker Ford in Plainfield, IL and they told me that the TSB 13-7-8 needed to be performed. My boyfriend talked to the tech and he told them it was all new parts including a new heat shield. No more squeaking. So if you have this problem take it in. Car is quiet now.

Heat shield for what?

I got a squeaky front end and sounded like a 1996 eploder.  The replaced a whole bunch of crap and it still squeaks.  Gotta take it in again as it is super annoying having a brand new car that squeaks.

I was driving my mustang at the mall a week ago and over the speed bumps I thought my car was going to fall apart. I took it into Rod Baker Ford in Plainfield, IL and they told me that the TSB 13-7-8 needed to be performed. My boyfriend talked to the tech and he told them it was all new parts including a new heat shield. No more squeaking. So if you have this problem take it in. Car is quiet now.

Great! Thank you for the info, Sawhit2!

Deysha

They install a heat shield in revision d to reflect engine heat away from the lower control arm.

Let us know if they stay quiet.  I've heard varying reports about how long-lasting the fix is.

I have a deep fear of the dealership touching my car... 

That said, is this issue an actual functional problem, or just an annoyance because of the squeak?

If its just a squeak, idk if its worth the dealership touching my car.. :no2:

It's a very, very annoying squeak. My dad's car is leased so he never cared and never did it, but OMG it annoys the shit out of me. Even as a passenger. When mine started to do it it wasn't nearly as bad, but I still promptly got it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a deep fear of the dealership touching my car... 

A healthy fear, given the damage my car has sustained at my purchasing dealership, Framingham Ford (do a search if you want all the gory details).

It's a very, very annoying squeak. My dad's car is leased so he never cared and never did it, but OMG it annoys the shit out of me. Even as a passenger. When mine started to do it it wasn't nearly as bad, but I still promptly got it fixed.

How's this fix holding up so far?

Another question to the more knowledgeable.  Is the only difference the addition of the heat shield?  Is the bushing different in any way?  I notice the heat shields have separate part numbers and are sold separately for around $10 each.  Are the older LCAs provisioned to have just the heat shield added?  My understanding is that the issue dates back to the '05-'09 GTs, so it's been in the wild for a while.

Holding up perfect thus far. But it also took ~25k miles to even start happening originally...

I think same bushings are used, just the addition of the shields help them not go to shit. But I am not 100% sure on this.

Did some more searching and it looks like the bushing housing is changed to accept the heat shield, so you can't retrofit a shield to an older arm.  But, some have made their own heat shields out of sheet metal: http://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/revised-tsb-lower-control-arm-squeak-522954/index10/.

I am *very* hesitant to have my front suspension torn apart by dealer techs.

Did some more searching and it looks like the bushing housing is changed to accept the heat shield, so you can't retrofit a shield to an older arm. But, some have made their own heat shields out of sheet metal: http://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/revised-tsb-lower-control-arm-squeak-522954/index10/.

I don't blame you after some of the bad stuff on the web recently about them. But... Some are good some are bad. I have had nothing but great experiences (except when TSB was done something wasn't torqued down properly, but it was fixed no problem at all, still little sketchy.).

I don't blame you after some of the bad stuff on the web recently about them. But... Some are good some are bad. I have had nothing but great experiences (except when TSB was done something wasn't torqued down properly, but it was fixed no problem at all, still little sketchy.).

At least you got a free wrench out of it! ;)

• Like 1

Did some more searching and it looks like the bushing housing is changed to accept the heat shield, so you can't retrofit a shield to an older arm.  But, some have made their own heat shields out of sheet metal: http://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/revised-tsb-lower-control-arm-squeak-522954/index10/.

I’m happy to get this escalated for you, tym_v6. Make an appointment and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Deysha, I am currently past the 36k mile bumper-to-bumper but on a 75k mile ESP with $100 deductible.  Does this still apply since the problem began before the 36k cutoff?

I'll also need to find a reliable dealer to do the work nearby.

Deysha, I am currently past the 36k mile bumper-to-bumper but on a 75k mile ESP with $100 deductible.  Does this still apply since the problem began before the 36k cutoff?

I'll also need to find a reliable dealer to do the work nearby.

You will need to have your dealer run the parts needed against your ESP, tym_v6. They can advise you if the repairs needed will be covered.

Deysha