Sign in to follow this  
nastang87xx

The sound of Kooks full exhaust

This is a slightly revised version since I last had it.  The tips are solid.  Before, they were just rolled and welded onto the ends of the exit 3" piping.  These are true 4" tips.

Definitely makes the Coyote sound like an experimental engine with a header back.  But still...not nearly as soulful as a Borla system.

Cool slippers bro. :sarcastic:

I like the smooth tone but honestly it sounds a little nasally. I hope it's just the acoustics of the garage you were in. I know in the parking garage at my work the reverb is so crazy it sounds almost like an electric guitar with heavy gain being played by Yngwie Malmsteen while huffing ammonia.

Cool slippers bro. :sarcastic:

I like the smooth tone but honestly it sounds a little nasally. I hope it's just the acoustics of the garage you were in. I know in the parking garage at my work the reverb is so crazy it sounds almost like an electric guitar with heavy gain being played by Yngwie Malmsteen while huffing ammonia.

Yeah I thought the same way too when I watched the video.  It's a lot throatier in person.  Another observation with this setup is that it sounds WAY better outside the car and I would say is one of the most misleading sounding exhaust systems from inside the car.  The GoPro mic didn't pick up a lot of the middle range frequencies.

They're my Under Armor slippies (sandals). :D

You could post up my dyno video for comparison if you want. I can't access YouTube until after work.

The Borlas or the Maggys?

Wow does that sound nice. Deep and soulful.

You should have heard it when I had Maggy Comps and long tubes.  Holy mother of god.  But the Borla ATAK was still louder and sounded better.

Just FYI that was the Maggy Street catback with stock headers and cats.

Yezzir.  Indeed.  Did you have a dyno run of your Borlas?

Nasty,

You should be a one stop shop for exhaust sound comparos.

Don't...tempt...me!  I'd still like to one day try Borla/FRPP Tourings!  If someone said "trade me your Kooks for the Tourings" I'd do it!  Why I didn't get the FRPP Tourings in the first place a week ago, I have no clue.  I think it's because I know what I needed and I had a restriction that I was aware of (autocross sound limit).  I wasn't willing to take a risk at that point.  Too bad...I shoulda!

Don't...tempt...me! I'd still like to one day try Borla/FRPP Tourings! If someone said "trade me your Kooks for the Tourings" I'd do it! Why I didn't get the FRPP Tourings in the first place a week ago, I have no clue. I think it's because I know what I needed and I had a restriction that I was aware of (autocross sound limit). I wasn't willing to take a risk at that point. Too bad...I shoulda!

Scroll back a few posts. Someone was hinting towards buying the mufflers a week later. Kooks on their setup would also fly. Not sure who the guy was but he seemes like a circling scavenger.

Well, I had some people at autocross today tell me that my car is still pretty damn loud.  It doesn't sound like it inside the cabin but apparently it's just a screamer.  Since the mufflers were being exposed to nothing but high energy sound, they're definitely going to get their break-in period.  They already are starting to sound deeper and throatier.  It's been a week...

• Like 2

Good thread. I have the ford racing mufflers which I believe is the Borla ATAK's. I have gotten pulled over twice. I may change to the GT500 mufflers. The Kooks do sound great though.

Good thread. I have the ford racing mufflers which I believe is the Borla ATAK's. I have gotten pulled over twice. I may change to the GT500 mufflers. The Kooks do sound great though.

Thanks!  You probably have the FRPP Sports.  The ATAK model doesn't have an FRPP equivelant.  I used to have ATAKs and long tubes.  Oh my GOD, what a noise!

These are indeed getting a bit louder and very noticably throatier.  It's a very pleasant sound and really wakes up when you get on it.  Still miss the crazy shouting of the ATAK's though.  I'm at a happy medium right now though.

I put in a order for GT500 axle backs. I like the tips better. I have already paid two $150 in tickets and both of them were going to and from cruise nights. I am not even going to go tomorrow until I get the new mufflers put on. Bunch of pissy ass cops with nothing better to do. 

Haha it's funny around here that they just don't care. They have so many better things to do. Now if o were in suburbia, I'd be effed in the a.

By the way, these Kooks mufflers are starting to get loud as fak. You can't tell in a video but they're getting up there in intensity. Almost to Roush resonator delete with cats type loud. And that's pretty intense for most people.