Sign in to follow this  
nastang87xx

Exhaust setups

I've done this dance enough and now my ultimate recommendation for anyone who's going long tubes on a GT is the Kooks axle back.  I'm going back to it.  No drone.  It's got a great classic sound, the mufflers are only about 14lbs each.  After a long long time, this is the best balanced system in my opinion for that type of application.  It's plenty loud but not overbearing like my old ATAK's.  I will definitely miss my ATAK's though.  For someone who doesn't have long tubes or who doesn't have sound restriction concerns, Borla ALL the way.  If the install wasn't so hard, I'd go back to short tube headers and run an off road H pipe with Borla S Types.  Buuuuuuuut our install is a bitch.  It's not like a Vette where header installs take 3 hours, if that.

• Like 1

For the sound or more for the looks?  I seriously considered GT500's too.

Both. I want the quieter tone of the GT500's but to retain the awesome looks that I got from the 5" Borla tips. The regular GT500 tips look wimpy in comparison.

What about getting Tourings?  The tips are much more defined than the slash cuts of the GT500's too.

I've heard a few people say they are still too loud when used with longtubes or cat deletes.

I've heard a few people say they are still too loud when used with longtubes or cat deletes.

Don't remind me.  I almost bought FRPP tourings since they're $600 on clearance at AM.  But one of the reps said that the Kooks axle back is definitely louder with high flow cat/catless setups.  And it wasn't THAT out of control.

Edit: I wonder if the Kooks axle back and the FRPP/Borla Tourings are about the same when running long tubes and high flows.

Don't remind me. I almost bought FRPP tourings since they're $600 on clearance at AM. But one of the reps said that the Kooks axle back is definitely louder with high flow cat/catless setups. And it wasn't THAT out of control.

Edit: I wonder if the Kooks axle back and the FRPP/Borla Tourings are about the same when running long tubes and high flows.

Buy any Touring mufflers and then hate them a week later. I'm waiting with money.

What are you looking at?

Either Borla Touring or FRPP Touring. I just have an enormous problem with paying 600+ for new mufflers. They don't pop up too often for sale.

Buy any Touring mufflers and then hate them a week later.

Either Borla Touring or FRPP Touring.

I am confuzzlematized.

Ok,,,,,,,nastang87x buys said Touring exhaust to run on is car. After a week he doesn't like it and is looking for something else. Then popeye buys said mufflers at a juicy discount.

Ok,,,,,,,nastang87x buys said Touring exhaust to run on is car. After a week he doesn't like it and is looking for something else. Then popeye buys said mufflers at a juicy discount.

Oh...I SEE WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE!   :whistle:

I almost wonder if I should have.  I didn't realize that Tourings with long tube is still pretty intense.  Once again, I took the "safe route."  :threaten:

The glass packs are used to tone down a setup that has lost the factory resonators and or cats. On my car I have the mac headers and the factory cats and the hollowed out resonators mate with a 2 3/4" pipes all the way back. The GT mufflers I have on have slowly degraded in sound. Flowmaster will go on and probably a high flowing glass pack style to tone it down a bit. The stock resonators are 2 1/4" and do a great job if you have a mostly stock exhaust. losing the resonators degrades the sound quality quite a bit.

Yea the glass packs I put in make a much smoother sound than the factory resonators did. When I cut out the factory resonators it didn't seem to create much rasp, but it did create some. Adding back the glass packs with the stock midpipe brought back that buttery smoothness, the car sounds awesome at all RPM. Before I only liked how it sounded at WOT. It's true though, if you want a nice sound out of these cars the factory cats need to stay in place.

• Like 1

Pypes pype bombs are basically glasspacks. They are loud, they drone, and not many people like it. I do though lol and if you eliminate cats...they are stupid loud.

Yea the glass packs I put in make a much smoother sound than the factory resonators did. When I cut out the factory resonators it didn't seem to create much rasp, but it did create some. Adding back the glass packs with the stock midpipe brought back that buttery smoothness, the car sounds awesome at all RPM. Before I only liked how it sounded at WOT. It's true though, if you want a nice sound out of these cars the factory cats need to stay in place.

What glass packs did you use?

Pypes pype bombs are basically glasspacks. They are loud, they drone, and not many people like it. I do though lol and if you eliminate cats...they are stupid loud.

No they're not... :trololol-1:  Buy my you-know-what's and then you will know what loud is.  :sarcastic:

• Like 1

What glass packs did you use?

Magnaflow glass packs. 22 inch overall length, they fit perfectly right in the over axles. I cut out that neck down that they all have in the process too. Can't remember if they were 2.25 or 2.5 inch inlet/outlet but I'm leaning towards 2.5.

I had the 22" with 2.25" ID and found that the stock over axles are 2.25" OD. You can slide the glasspacks over. 

Having any ground clearance issues?

I had the 22" with 2.25" ID and found that the stock over axles are 2.25" OD. You can slide the glasspacks over.

Having any ground clearance issues?

Yea I knew that the glass packs slide over the overaxle piping thanks for the clarification. Now that you mention it, at work I have a really steep drive way I go into. Once in a while if I'm too quick I will hear something scrape, I always checked after and the tip was never messed up so I didn't care. But I think that it's the glass packs I hear scraping every once in a while on that driveway. Other than that though it's perfectly fine.