Sign in to follow this  
Nyke

DIY: Seafoam Engine Treatment (Vacuum Method)(3.7 & 5.0, 11+)

Hello FFM,

The following will help guide you in the process to perform a Seafoam Engine Treatment on a 3.7 Cyclone or 5.0 Coyote Mustang (2011+ Models)

I am not held responsible for any damage you do to the vehicle you work on. It is your choice to perform the task.

You will need:

Safety Glasses

Seafoam Engine Treatment

1/2" I.D. Hose (Inner Diameter)

Plug or clamp (I used a screw driver shaft)

Small cup

Common Sense

Seafoam Engine Treatment

med_gallery_412_126_350867.jpg

Pop the hood. Remove the engine cover. Locate the passenger PCV hose.

3.7 Cyclone Engine PCV location (No engine cover pictured)

med_gallery_412_126_249579.jpg

5.0 Coyote Engine Cover Removal (Pull up on front and rear sides)

med_gallery_412_126_2569038.jpg

5.0 Coyote Engine Passenger PCV location

med_gallery_412_126_1259343.jpg

Remove passenger PCV hose at intake. Push down on grey clip and pull to remove hose.

med_gallery_412_126_2772176.jpg

Put 1/2" I.D. hose on fitting. Plug the end of the hose.

gallery_412_126_1585488.jpg

I used my screw driver to plug my hose end. (Note: If the end of the hose is not plugged upon starting the car the vehicle will stall)

med_gallery_412_126_628552.jpg

Start the engine and the motor will idle normally if all steps were taken.

Pour 1/3 of the Seafoam Engine cleaner into a cup and SLOWLY remove the plug on the end of the hose while SLOWLY inducing the vacuum from the hose to the Seafoam Engine Treatment, allow the vacuum from the hose slowly sip the Seafoam Engine Treatment from the cup.

DO NOT SUBMERGE THE HOSE INTO THE SEAFOAM ENGINE TREATMENT.

This process should take about 5-8 minutes.

Turn the engine off and re-install everything in the reverse order.

Let the car stand for 5-10 minutes engine off then drive around.

You may see a small to large cloud of white smoke from the exhaust.

This is the Seafoam Engine Treatment cleaning your motor of deposits and contaminants.

Enjoy.

-Nyke

• Like 1

Performing a Seafoam Engine Treatment will aid in removing deposits from intake valves and pistons. I have personally used this on vehicles to help with hesitation and rough idle.

A perfect example is my friends 2008 Jeep Liberty. He is not a car savvy individual. He came to me with his vehicle running rough. The air filter was not replaced in over 20k miles and the spark plugs should have been replaced at 30k (they are copper plugs, manufacture recommended) He had 55k miles on the vehicle. After replacing the filter and plugs the car started much better and during driving there was a very small hesitation. After performing a Seafoam Engine Treatment the hesitation went away when paired with a MAF sensor cleaning. (Instructions to perform a MAF sensor cleaning can be found HERE)

Ive used Seafoam on some of the older cars Ive owned - including my old 99 GT, 95 Bronco 5.8L, my current 96 Tacoma, and a number of other cars. I'm somewhat wary of trying it on my Coyote though.

My friends Jeep was a disaster. I had some product left over and decided to use it up.

I tested on my own vehicle and Sawhit2's to make sure the method worked. I did not get any white smoke as I had no deposits. The engine is still new. Sawhit2's has racked up some miles and she had a little.

If you use quality gas, engine oil and change out the engine air filter you will probably never have to do this.

As a side note, I would only do this right before an oil change, the same goes with running any of the more aggressive fuel system cleaners such as the gumout regane or the chevron techron.  You don't want all of those chemicals and potentially gunk circulating through the oil for very long.  The only tank add treatments I'd run without changing the oil after is Lucas UCL and the Redline SI-1.

As a side note, I would only do this right before an oil change, the same goes with running any of the more aggressive fuel system cleaners such as the gumout regane or the chevron techron.  You don't want all of those chemicals and potentially gunk circulating through the oil for very long.  The only tank add treatments I'd run without changing the oil after is Lucas UCL and the Redline SI-1.

I was about to say that. Definitely change the oil after.

I also prefer my method of running Gumout Regane and the oil catch can. But Seafoam does has it's purpose as stated above.