Sign in to follow this  
Nyke

DIY: MAF Sensor Cleaning (3.7 & 5.0, 11+)

Hello FFM,

The following will help guide you in the process to clean a MAF sensor in a 3.7 Cyclone or 5.0 Coyote or Roadrunner Mustang (2011+ Models)

I am not held responsible for any damage you do to the vehicle you work on. It is your choice to perform the task.

I do this every time I replace or clean my air filters to remove small contaminants from the MAF sensor. 

You will need:

Safety Glasses

T-20 Torx socket or driver

Ratchet (if using socket)

Extension (if using socket)

MAF Sensor cleaner (I used CRC brand)

Shop rag

Common sense

MAF Sensor Cleaner used

med_gallery_412_127_526658.jpg

Tools used (You can substitute a T-20 Torx driver)

med_gallery_412_127_2532968.jpg

Pop your hood and locate the MAF sensor.

3.7 Cyclone Location

med_gallery_412_127_2576799.jpg

5.0 Coyote / Roadrunner location (Stock intake shown without MAF Sensor, AIRAID currently installed in my vehicle)

med_gallery_412_127_1060264.jpg

AIRAID for reference

med_gallery_412_127_1371149.jpg

Remove the two T-20 Torx screws and pull out sensor

med_gallery_412_127_404967.jpg

Remove plug from MAF Sensor. Pull Red tab out and push and pull out plug from MAF Sensor

med_gallery_412_127_2550317.jpg

Plug pulled out

med_gallery_412_127_1521972.jpg

Spray the sensor with the MAF Cleaner on the MAF Sensor being sure NOT TO TOUCH THE MAF SENSOR with any object other than the spray itself! Spray 10-15 times. Let dry and carefully re-install in reverse order.

I do this as a regular part of vehicle maintenance every time I replace or clean mine (or my girls) air filter. Regular maintenance of the MAF sensor will not result in any performance increase. It is not a recommended procedure by the manufacture.

However over time contaminants build up on the MAF sensor and can inhibit its function. This prevents that.

A perfect example is my friends 2008 Jeep Liberty. He is not a car savvy individual. He came to me with his vehicle running rough. The air filter was not replaced in over 20k miles and the spark plugs should have been replaced at 30k (they are copper plugs, manufacture recommended) He had 55k miles on the vehicle. After replacing the filter and plugs the car started much better and during driving there was a very small hesitation. After cleaning the MAF Sensor (I did not have any at the time of replacement, drove to auto parts store to pick some up) the hesitation went away when paired with Seafoam Engine Treatment (Instructions on performing a Seafoam Engine Treatment can be found HERE)

He is one happy camper now. MPG's back and idles / runs smooth.

As a fore warning.

DO NOT. I REPEAT DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE TO CLEAN MAF SENSORS.

You can and WILL damage the sensors over time. They have sensitive coatings on them that can be easily stripped off by brake cleaner, alcohol and many other solvent cleaners. Soap based cleaners can leave a residue on the MAF sensor. All which inhibit and will damage the sensor.

Good question. Contact cleaner depending on the brand may leave a very thin film of rust inhibitor which can be easily wiped off. Some brands do not have this film. Since I do not know I cannot recommend it.

MAF cleaner for the win.  Very popular with the older fox guys as the older cars suffer from crud and blow by covering the little baby sensor.

Hey! That's my car!

I have no idea what he was doing. All I know is white smoke came out of my car when he drove away and I felt like a hillbilly. I will leave the car stuff to Nyke. Except cleaning the car. I love cleaning my car. 

I have been informed by Nyke that the white smoke was from the seafoam stuff. I have no idea about car stuff. Rita runs great though!

• Like 1

I have been informed by Nyke that the white smoke was from the seafoam stuff. I have no idea about car stuff. Rita runs great though!

Wow only a handful of posts and already a technical contributor to the forum! :Big Grin: