Sign in to follow this  
nastang87xx

Roush Axle Back vs Borla ATAK

The Roush mufflers are an open chamber muffler.  That's why they're so blasted loud.  Think of a chambered muffler like the GT500's but straight through and the chambers are basically opened up rather than closed off by a muffler housing.  Another way to think about it, cut a chambered muffler in half the to make a "hamburger" and then "fold" over the muffler from one end to the other in a straight through way.  See why it's so loud?

The ATAK's are a straight through design with multiple pipes in it called "Multi Core."  There's a bit of filament in them but not much.  All the sound gets projected outwards too, preventing drone.

Removing the cats and going with Pype bombs will be PLENTY loud.  And have the high flow cat/catless rasp.  Long tubes give the car more snarl and "sizzle" if you will.  Keeping the factory tri Y's will give you a deeper but still raspy sound.

I really don't know anyone who has stayed witb the Roush mufflers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This a friends car with the same mods I have but Roush mufflers
045 Dipped Mustang 5 0:

And this is mine
031 Mustang 5 0:

I hope this better explains my "muted" comment on the shoutbox lol It just "sounds" that way although I'm sure it flow just as well as the Roush

from Bombai with love

Personally, I really think the Roush muffler sound profile was made around factory exhaust setups except for the axle back.  They just get so out of control once you start playing with stuff.  Long tubes, high flow cats, and Borla Touring.  Phew...now THAT's a boner inspiring sound...

If you are looking for a raspy sound that's really loud, just go with an off road mid pipe, probably X, and keep your Pype Bombs.  No reason to change out mufflers unless you are getting sick of the drone, which the catless mid might take some of that out anyway.

Personally, I really think the Roush muffler sound profile was made around factory exhaust setups except for the axle back.  They just get so out of control once you start playing with stuff.  Long tubes, high flow cats, and Borla Touring.  Phew...now THAT's a boner inspiring sound...

If you are looking for a raspy sound that's really loud, just go with an off road mid pipe, probably X, and keep your Pype Bombs.  No reason to change out mufflers unless you are getting sick of the drone, which the catless mid might take some of that out anyway.

I really don't want to have a car with long tubes again lol but it must sound heavenly thats for sure.

Another option I've heard and sounds really nice is the GT500 axlebacks with cat delete. I imagine cabin sound is lower but outside it does sound really nice. But I think that won't be loud enough....damnit! lol

I should just buy your catback Nick...

I should just buy your catback Nick...

I have a conscience.  You could but I'm not sure you'll get what you're looking for.  The Stainless Works RetroChambered catback works in all scenarios but was also designed with header dynamics in mind to keep a predictable tone.  Removing your cats will have a much more profound impact.  I'm inclinded to believe the Pype Bombs are louder than the Stainless Works system too.  Don't get me wrong, the Stainless Works system sounds great.  It's just very much a tuned muffler setup rather than all out megaphone like the Pype Bombs or the Roush axle back.  But if you wanna go for it, go for it lol.

Edit: what specific type of sound profile are you looking for?

I have a conscience.  You could but I'm not sure you'll get what you're looking for.  The Stainless Works RetroChambered catback works in all scenarios but was also designed with header dynamics in mind to keep a predictable tone.  Removing your cats will have a much more profound impact.  I'm inclinded to believe the Pype Bombs are louder than the Stainless Works system too.  Don't get me wrong, the Stainless Works system sounds great.  It's just very much a tuned muffler setup rather than all out megaphone like the Pype Bombs or the Roush axle back.  But if you wanna go for it, go for it lol.

Edit: what specific type of sound profile are you looking for?

basically yours and Peter's lol but without the long tubes

basically yours and Peter's lol but without the long tubes

I'm thinking a tall order.  It's the longer tubes that make that snarly type of profile because the length of total piping.  The main piping is longer with short headers vs long tubes.  So think of an organ.  The pitch will be higher with long tubes as well as long tubes having longer initial frequencies but then meeting at the main piping.  It's like playing a saxophone.  One note is with short headers.  Another note that's a higher note is with long tube headers.

I'm thinking a tall order.  It's the longer tubes that make that snarly type of profile because the length of total piping.  The main piping is longer with short headers vs long tubes.  So think of an organ.  The pitch will be higher with long tubes as well as long tubes having longer initial frequencies but then meeting at the main piping.  It's like playing a saxophone.  One note is with short headers.  Another note that's a higher note is with long tube headers.

That's the answer I knew but didn't want to hear  :resent:

You might have a shot with playing with muffler positions and combinations but that's a LOT of tedius and annoying work.  Plus cutting and clamping stuff up and blah blah blah.  And we don't have a lot of room for mid mufflers/run the risk of scraping if they're any bigger than Pypes M80's.

You might have a shot with playing with muffler positions and combinations but that's a LOT of tedius and annoying work.  Plus cutting and clamping stuff up and blah blah blah.  And we don't have a lot of room for mid mufflers/run the risk of scraping if they're any bigger than Pypes M80's.

The other option is increasing pipe size to 3", increase volume, decrease pressure, get that somewhat lower tone.

The other option is increasing pipe size to 3", increase volume, decrease pressure, get that somewhat lower tone.

Piping diameter won't matter really for what it's worth.  We're looking at pipe length.  The shorter main piping (as in the total length of the mid section + over axle pipes) make the pitch go up.  Braaap.

Piping diameter won't matter really for what it's worth.  We're looking at pipe length.  The shorter main piping (as in the total length of the mid section + over axle pipes) make the pitch go up.  Braaap.

mfw+you+dont+seem+to+realise+that+gifs+d

• Like 1

somebody spent quite some time gathering all these vids...

http://www.mustang-cliq.com/2010/08/08/2011-ford-mustang-gt-5-0-exhaust-guide/

That link is asking for a massive browser crash. :D  Love that they did that.  Wish they thought that out a bit more.  Made hyperlinks to different pages or something.  Had a searchable database or pages or split them up by say, "Magnaflow" or "Borla."

I had roush muffs and didn't stay with them either , the rasp and volume killed it for me . Below 4000 rpm they were glorious but after that is when they sucked....for me at least 

Roush A/B no bueno...check! 

Corsa, Kooks and Borla...I've got my eyes set on you guys!

Smart man i'd go borla ...i had someone tell me my JBA's were loud the other day. I just laughed and said if you think these are loud then you have never heard a loud muffler before 

The Kooks axle back was kinda quiet. A very pleasant sound but might not be to your liking.

This is a nice sound though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwpov7wH1do

That's probably the best sound clip I have heard of a coyote.

Well minus the wind noise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk