Sign in to follow this  
buildingsleeper2

how to design your own CAI

Tried that once at UTI's Hot Rod U class with a pretty smart instructor. Pretty much every class that had tried to make their own CAI lost power and tons of driveability. If you have a big konking turbo then it was less of an issue but all the N/A cars lost big power.

Tried that once at UTI's Hot Rod U class with a pretty smart instructor. Pretty much every class that had tried to make their own CAI lost power and tons of driveability. If you have a big konking turbo then it was less of an issue but all the N/A cars lost big power.

What about intakes that are straight with no or extremely little bend like ones found in Corvettes and Vipers?  Do they really provide that much of a difference being that whole "Ram Air" concept, which I think is baloney but...

MAF signal is so important and I won't even pretend to really understand what it takes to ensure proper signal to the ECU to make the car drive right. That and building the air box to keep the intake air cool and dry need to be top considerations. The factory air intake has been proven time and again to be very well designed and little can be improved about it.

I have a JLT Intake for $100 when you want to get rid of that eye sore ;)

Tell him how ya really feel Nyke. :polling: lol

• Like 1

well it's not the show piece everyone wants how ever.the MAF signal from my data log this morning was 9.63 Hz. Rpm's were 6818.75,throttle position was 75.29, and the speed at this reading was 78.70 mph.

Well needless to say that it was ingenious, creative and bold.  With out people thinking out of the box we wouldn't have been graced with the foresight of porting the manifolds like Sleeper did first off and making power.  He has also continued to provide this service which has netted gains.

Question is, why you selling your JLT for $100?

thank you smurf. I am trying so hard to give us options for what we can do for our 3.7's that nobody has even tried yet.sometimes even the not so eye pleasing modifications work the best.going fast and making power isn't about show quality components.how many people turned their noses up at the innovators of flight or even the earliest hot rodders because it looked strange or they said it couldn't be done.

People do this all the time with the pvc piping with, typically, the same reception. People have ported for years. What Grimace was pointing out is, functionally, airflow quality past the MAF on these latest pcm iterations is of utmost concern, that's all. It's not merely a cosmetic concern from what I'm seeing here. Important enough for companies like Airaid and Steeda to use computer simulation airflow modeling to design their intake tracts to prevent pissed off customers. This is even more important for an automatic where a manual may not notice a problem if something was off due to shift scheduling and line pressure to be calculated from "load" the MAF sees. 

I'd suggest a dyno comparison between stock, a popular CAI (perhaps the $100 JLT :)), and Tom's CAI work here before jumping on board. Difference between this and Greg's intake was there was, at least, some testing of it to dispel speculation on whether it works or not. Drivability testing would be more "subjective".

I'm not sure how to compare load readings.

Me neither, but I know it is one of the things that Lund looks at when I send him datlaogs.

because it is sitting around collecting dust. :) I feel like passing it forward for FFM

• Like 1

because it is sitting around collecting dust. :) I feel like passing it forward for FFM

damn thats cool, how do you like the steeda, notice a difference between the two?

The STEEDA is built better. The JLT is quieter. Power seems the same. I made one modification to the JLT, the old weather stripping was coming off so I put my own on and it seals a lot better.