Sign in to follow this  
burke985

kooks super street shorties

Anyone have them , been looking at them and was thinking I may get a set before the supercharger goes on. I dont want longtubes I really cant have my car that loud because the cats are never going back on.

With the cats off you are as loud as you are going to be. There is nothing that the longtubes themselves are doing for the volume, it is the cats. I went from stock headers and cats to an offroad midpipe to catted longtubes and the offroad pipes were the loudest by a fair margin.

I've never really been into shorty headers. I'm a firm believer in long tubes especially when it comes to the install if I'm gonna do a pita install like headers I might as well do the long tubes.

Imo, mine sounds tame. Idle is great, midrange is EH, and up top it sounds good to me for a 6. No cats and I have longtubes here.

Iow, I agree...no difference between the volume of LT and shorties in my past experience also. At least anything noticeable.

I'm not a huge fan of current aftermarket short tubes even from companies as outstanding as Kooks.  Frankly, there's nothing really that wrong with our factory short tube headers except they're just ugly if you're doing shows or something like that.  And Grim and our fellow associates are right: volume comes from the engine, not the tube.  In fact, system for system, some even claim that short tubes are louder than long tubes because theoretically, long tubes are diminishing the volume due to more tube volume and the intensity breaks apart through the individual tubes.  This is only theoretically though.  With the sheer intensity of engine sound in the first place, I hardly think that the increased volume inside long tubes really will be that substantial enough to make any every day noticeable differences.

IDK every car I've heard with LT and catless with no resonators was pretty damn loud. Not disputing what ya'll are saying I hav just yet to see it.

IDK every car I've heard with LT and catless with no resonators was pretty damn loud. Not disputing what ya'll are saying I hav just yet to see it.

i have had the catted x pipe which i'm currently running and the off road x piped the catted is perfect for my needs the off road x was so annoying on my commute to work where i drive 56 miles round trip.

Oh it is.  I've heard a full off road Bassani setup, long tubes, off road X pipe, and Race catback and it was INSANELY loud.

I just like the idea you can pick up a few ponies and get better airflow and not have to change your midpipe. Maybe not as much as LT but thats why I just made another payment on the vortech

Well if someone were to ask me Vortech, O/R midpipe, and catback of my choice or N/A, long tubes, and catback of my choice, I'd take the first obviously hehe.

Short tubes, O/R H pipe, resonator delete, and Borla Touring/GT500 axle backs sounds INCREDIBLE.

Well if someone were to ask me Vortech, O/R midpipe, and catback of my choice or N/A, long tubes, and catback of my choice, I'd take the first obviously hehe.

Short tubes, O/R H pipe, resonator delete, and Borla Touring/GT500 axle backs sounds INCREDIBLE.

AHhhhh those were the days when I had the sports. The jba sound good but the sports were just plain nasty. I gotta get a video of the new setup for you. Got a date at the track tonight should be interdasting

Resurrecting an old thread.....has anyone tried these yet? I'm still debating on headers and mid pipe and stumbled across these. Coupled with a hi flow catted x/h people are seeing numbers just slightly less than lt (like 5 hp less). I know must guys he are lt only but figured I'd see if anyone had tried them.

Did you notice the BBK shorties the forum has? They were dinged in shipping but otherwise are new in box. We haven't decided if we are going to sell them, raffle them, or give them as a monthly reward.

http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index.php/topic/1787-bbk-shorties-ceramic-coated-for-coyotespics/

Back to the original topic though, I probably wouldn't do headers at all being as budget-minded as I am with my build. There's plenty of guys running 9's and 10's with just an off-road midpipe.  For me I don't have enough help for the install (having to drop the K-member).  I could afford to buy shorties or pay for the install.  Just not both.  I could do so much more with the cost.  :NOS:

Back to the original topic though, I probably wouldn't do headers at all being as budget-minded as I am with my build. There's plenty of guys running 9's and 10's with just an off-road midpipe.  For me I don't have enough help for the install (having to drop the K-member).  I could afford to buy shorties or pay for the install.  Just not both.  I could do so much more with the cost.  :NOS:

The GT Tri-Y's aren't a failure by any means.  They're well thought out.  Yes, long tubes are better.  But just because long tubes > factory Tri-Y's doesn't mean they're like the crap cast manifolds of the 4.6L.  Those things were embarrassing.

I know of a guy that paid a shop for the install and they jacked up the motor wrong..... caused engine failure.....

How did that happen?  Did they like...drop the motor on the floor?! :no

You think I could do it by myself on ramps without having to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine?

No.  You'll have to jack the engine and trans up.  There's just no room.  LSx motors?  It takes like 2 hours to do headers lol.  It's a ton easier.

How did that happen?  Did they like...drop the motor on the floor?! :no

No.  You'll have to jack the engine and trans up.  There's just no room.  LSx motors?  It takes like 2 hours to do headers lol.  It's a ton easier.

They crushed the oil pan.....

Ok I'm heading to Florida we'll knock this shit out together :). Paying for them isn't the issue here its the fact I'm not paying some one hundreds of dollars to do something and I get nothing but the new part. I want to know how to do it and I don't know of any shops that'll cut the price in half if I help ya know. Plus I'm still on the fence about which headers to do. I will do them just trying to get all my options first.

Ok I'm heading to Florida we'll knock this shit out together :). Paying for them isn't the issue here its the fact I'm not paying some one hundreds of dollars to do something and I get nothing but the new part. I want to know how to do it and I don't know of any shops that'll cut the price in half if I help ya know. Plus I'm still on the fence about which headers to do. I will do them just trying to get all my options first.

My honest recommendation is to wait on the headers. There are so many more important and worthwhile mods to do this early in your new car ownership that just headers, stuff like suspension, wheels/tires, driveline, so on.

My honest recommendation is to wait on the headers. There are so many more important and worthwhile mods to do this early in your new car ownership that just headers, stuff like suspension, wheels/tires, driveline, so on.

That's what I've think as well..... from what i've seen you can get about 15-20 out of shorties.... 20-30 out of long tubes....  These numbers are not the bible I know, but $500-600 for shorties and $1000-1500 for LT's (installed).... I can get 15 out of a good off road h or x for $300 installed.