Unclenard

Ported intakes installed

I'm at my daughter's college orientation to see where my $40,000+ is going the next 4 years.  :shock:

Oh, lol. Yeah, I think I'd want to check it out too!

Bringing this back from the dead. Have you ever gotten to the dyno to see a difference with the heads? I am thinking of sending out my heads and intake manifold over this winter to SSM to get ported, maybe even bigger valves thrown in.

I have not been able to find a dyno of 3.7 cyclone ported heads. On my old I6 3.0 the ported heads gave me 45 rwhp, but it was boosted. I am just curious as to what if anything I can look forward to.

No I still haven't gotten to truly dyno it.  I've been fighting O2 sensor issues that started shortly after getting the ported heads installed.  So I haven't been able to data log for a tune.  I did get to the track after the heads but before the ported intakes were done and I didn't have my tune changed yet.  With that said I saw a 0.25 second and 2.3 mph improvement.  But again this was before the ported intakes or it was tuned for the extra breathing.  If I ever get the O2 sensor figured out I am considering the SSM cams.  He really wanted me to try them but I need to get this straightened out first.

So after all these years, how are the ported intakes? Which parts do we really need for higher RPM power? I read that just the ported lower is needed.

I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with the N/A 3.5 which shares the manifolds with the 3.7 at least the 3.7s used on the Lincoln's and Police Interceptors. I read that a few people have used ported intakes on these newer Ford's.

Because we are all speed density, there's no longer a need to "dynotune" to correct the fuel trims unless we drastically change the VE model. Think EcoBoost without the turbos. Because I am running AWD traction is not a problem (My SHO and Fusion Sport put down 1.8 60' all day long on worn out street tires). I wonder how much of a gain  we'd see with the ported intake? One vendor said the upper intake from Ford was good enough and the bulk of the gains was from the lower manifold. I've never been sold on bigger TBs, but wanted to hear from the V6 Mustang crowd. Are the autos really shifting at 7100 RPM? That's about a few hundred more than what Ford set my Explorer at WOT. 

21 hours ago, metroplex said:

So after all these years, how are the ported intakes? Which parts do we really need for higher RPM power? I read that just the ported lower is needed.

I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with the N/A 3.5 which shares the manifolds with the 3.7 at least the 3.7s used on the Lincoln's and Police Interceptors. I read that a few people have used ported intakes on these newer Ford's.

Because we are all speed density, there's no longer a need to "dynotune" to correct the fuel trims unless we drastically change the VE model. Think EcoBoost without the turbos. Because I am running AWD traction is not a problem (My SHO and Fusion Sport put down 1.8 60' all day long on worn out street tires). I wonder how much of a gain  we'd see with the ported intake? One vendor said the upper intake from Ford was good enough and the bulk of the gains was from the lower manifold. I've never been sold on bigger TBs, but wanted to hear from the V6 Mustang crowd. Are the autos really shifting at 7100 RPM? That's about a few hundred more than what Ford set my Explorer at WOT. 

Welcome to the site.  I guess reflecting back now I am not sure what to think of the ported heads actually.  Honestly I did them way too soon.  I did not have other things done first to get good data.  I had long tube headers, x-pipe, catback, CAI, throttle body, a not so great tune, 3.73 gears, driveshaft, LCAs and shocks/struts; but only had one day at the track with 4 runs on the car at that point.  So I had the intake and exhaust mods for the heads but didn't have a good tune worked out, was having O2 sensor issues with the long tubes and traction issues.  I should have had all that worked before doing the heads.  They definitely flow more air, there is no question about that.  I still wonder if cams would have unlocked the heads potential more.

I can't recall what MPT set my shift points at any more.  But I have a Circle D torque converter too.

I would guess that a ported lower will give more gains than the upper because of the injector bumps in the lower.

The lower’s injector bungs are definitely large.... and in the way. I very much agree.

But, without any actual numbers, I can’t give definitive answers, but I can say of all the things I have done, the ported manifolds gave the largest ass dyno delta or before and after, and I put mine on basically at the end, I believe I did them literally last, maybe the shorty headers were after, I am not sure tbh, been to many years.

That said, I did email MPT with some logs after and they said all looked as it should, they did tweak it a bit, but they said it’s definitely breathing more as the fuel trims needed adjustments to make up for it. I just checked, MPT told me years back “a good manifold port job can result in 15% more airflow” for what that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk