Unclenard

Ported intakes installed

I finally got my ported intakes installed tonight to go with my ported heads.  Took me about 2.5 hours, taking a couple of shortcuts.  I'll need to data log and have Lund see how things look now.  My butt dyno says it is faster.  It consistently was chirping into 3rd gear tonight when I was test driving it.  It has never done that before.  I'll be heading to Orlando's 1/4 mile Sunday and see how it does.  I just wish I could get the tune adjusted and drag radials on before heading to the track.

I finally got my ported intakes installed tonight to go with my ported heads.  Took me about 2.5 hours, taking a couple of shortcuts.  I'll need to data log and have Lund see how things look now.  My butt dyno says it is faster.  It consistently was chirping into 3rd gear tonight when I was test driving it.  It has never done that before.  I'll be heading to Orlando's 1/4 mile Sunday and see how it does.  I just wish I could get the tune adjusted and drag radials on before heading to the track.

...and everything about the installation is "easy", right? On your own with basic tools on the garage?

All the bolts were 8mm except for the one to remove the Airaid CAI and the four on the BBK throttle body.  Picked up a 1/4" inch/lb torque wrench at Harbor Freight today to torque things down.  Only other tool I believe I needed was pliers for a couple of hose clamps.

Took off the CAI, then the throttle body, hoses and wires, removed the upper intake.  First shortcut - didn't drain the coolant from the bottom of the radiator, instead I used a clean small bathroom garbage can between the front of the engine and the radiator positioned below the thermostat housing.  Loosened one of the hoses to it and let it drain into the garbage can.  Removed the hose on the back of the lower intake.  Second shortcut - didn't disconnect the fuel rail from the fuel line, instead pulled the fuel rails with the injectors out of the lower intake and carefully laid it to the side.  Then wiggled the lower intake back out of the thermostat housing and removed it.  Then everything went back in the reverse order.

• Like 1

Who ported you're intakes

I got them from Super Six Motorsports.  I'm helping them do some testing.  The porting that was done is not the same as what you can see currently on their web site.  I also have ported heads from them as well.

Sorry for not having followed more closely but has anyone posted dyno graphs before/after? I'm interested in not only peak gains but the area under the curve as well, being that the V6 doesn't have displacement to fall back on like the V8 guys.

• Like 1

The gains appear to be 4k on up which is typical when opening up the CSA in the runners and lower. It's basically like tilting a see saw with the power curve. The downside is potential torque loss below 4k and the upside is more avg power all the way past peak hp which is desirable. After the 1-2 shift you end up, at least on the autos, around 4500rpms if the shift is at 7100. Btw, gears and especially a higher stall more than offset the loss of low rpm torque.

I'm curious also. I hope it goes well and shows how much is left on the table without pulling the engine. Although, it might be easier to go that route and work on an engine stand. :)

Well I met up with six other V6 owners and we all ran terrible due to a 2000+ DA, it was HOT.  Is there anything I can do to get better 60' times without going to drag radials and getting a higher stall converter?  It probably isn't something that could be answered without being at the track with me to see exactly what is going on I guess.  But after putting on the ported heads and now the ported lower and upper intakes my 60' times have gotten worse and it feels like it is problems with traction.  Yesterday it was squirrely/spinning off the line no matter what rpm I tried launching at, worse than last time.  Here are my last 3 times all corrected for DA so that they can be compared.  I did some data logging so Lund can look at the tune as I'm still running on his initial tune with no tweaking to it yet.

2.168 - 13.618 @ 103.00 - before heads and intakes
2.176 - 13.387 @ 105.31 - after heads / before intakes
2.194 - 13.576 @ 103.85 - after heads and intakes

I lower my rear tire pressure to 25 psi, drive around the water box, do a 2-3 second burn out to clean off the tires and try launching at different rpms.  Yesterday I did off idle, 1800 rpm and 2000 rpm.
  • Like 1

Though traction was marginally worse each time, power went down for whatever reason looking at the mph. ALL being corrected to sea level takes out baro pressure, temp, humidity, and track elevation differences too. The traction difference is very small. The tendency is about two tenths change in ET, either to the good or bad, for every tenth of a second change in 60ft. When the 60ft gets worse from actual spinning, the tendency is also for the mph to go up some. That didn't happen on the last pass on your list coming from the second time. That's not good assuming whatever calculation converting them all to sea level (0 DA) was accurate. That's a 10-15hp loss.

• Like 1

The first two set of times was on my Bama tune at Bradenton, FL, the last run was on my initial Lund tune at Orlando.  After the heads (the 2nd times) there was an improvement, not sure what happened yesterday.

Well I met up with six other V6 owners and we all ran terrible due to a 2000+ DA, it was HOT.  Is there anything I can do to get better 60' times without going to drag radials and getting a higher stall converter?  It probably isn't something that could be answered without being at the track with me to see exactly what is going on I guess.  But after putting on the ported heads and now the ported lower and upper intakes my 60' times have gotten worse and it feels like it is problems with traction.  Yesterday it was squirrely/spinning off the line no matter what rpm I tried launching at, worse than last time.  Here are my last 3 times all corrected for DA so that they can be compared.  I did some data logging so Lund can look at the tune as I'm still running on his initial tune with no tweaking to it yet. 2.168 - 13.618 @ 103.00 - before heads and intakes2.176 - 13.387 @ 105.31 - after heads / before intakes2.194 - 13.576 @ 103.85 - after heads and intakes I lower my rear tire pressure to 25 psi, drive around the water box, do a 2-3 second burn out to clean off the tires and try launching at different rpms.  Yesterday I did off idle, 1800 rpm and 2000 rpm.

All those times are from different days correct? Do you have the slips for all of them

All those times are from different days correct? Do you have the slips for all of them

Yes they are all different days, first one was around the middle of March, second one around the middle of May and third one from Sunday.  I don't have them with me at work.

what kind of rwhp do you think your getting? just with the ported intakes Z got 9 rwhp but it also cut 3 tenths off his time. I wondering what supersix did to their upper and if it hurt airflow. is your car idling smooth or does it act like it's running lean from an air leak?

Yes they are all different days, first one was around the middle of March, second one around the middle of May and third one from Sunday.  I don't have them with me at work.

So its hard to tell if the intakes helped there are too mayny variables different da different tekps different track conditions. .

what kind of rwhp do you think your getting? just with the ported intakes Z got 9 rwhp but it also cut 3 tenths off his time. I wondering what supersix did to their upper and if it hurt airflow. is your car idling smooth or does it act like it's running lean from an air leak?

I think the dyno numbers are misleading due to the addition of the throttle body but his track times don't lie

I need to finish data logging so I can get Lund to tweak the tune.  When Lund believes he has the tune dialed in then I'll go back to the track and get another dyno pull done too.  I'll go back to Bradenton at night again so it is a little cooler than it was in Orlando in the middle of the day and the track will be the same as the first two runs.

I think you definitely need those drag radials to really see what your car can do.  Hopefully Lund can adjust your tune and get everything optimized.

So its hard to tell if the intakes helped there are too mayny variables different da different tekps different track conditions. .
   I think the dyno numbers are misleading due to the addition of the throttle body but his track times don't lie

The BBK TB doesn't add any power after 4K RPM's, it is all on the lower end.  The ported intakes are showing power increases above 4K RPM's.

I think you definitely need those drag radials to really see what your car can do.  Hopefully Lund can adjust your tune and get everything optimized.

The BBK TB doesn't add any power after 4K RPM's, it is all on the lower end.  The ported intakes are showing power increases above 4K RPM's.

so you don't think the throttle body played any part in the gains above 4k rpms....?

so you don't think the throttle body played any part in the gains above 4k rpms....?

At some point, it would have to help. IF there is more power to be had, it's before the TB if you have the ported intake set and BBK. When I put on the BBK last January, I maybe noticed a small low rpm torque gain. Yesterday, the pcm did manage the A/F, even with a 50% ST fuel trim. So as long as I wasn't stomping on the gas, I was safe. There was Definitely...a torque increase down low. This isn't the converter or the 4.30s. This is just cruising down the road with the converter locked up. Definitely less throttle needed to accelerate more quickly. It wouldn't likely be as noticeable going from another aftermarket CAI to the Steeda....or would it? I don't know.

Not sure on rwhp yet.  The upper porting looked very similar to the pics I've seen of Z's.  The silencer fingers were removed and it was opened up some.  Car is idling a little funny for a minute until it warms up and then it is fine.  This is with the tune Lund did for the drag strip.  I'm going to see about finishing data logging tonight so I can get him to review it.

Not sure on rwhp yet.  The upper porting looked very similar to the pics I've seen of Z's.  The silencer fingers were removed and it was opened up some.  Car is idling a little funny for a minute until it warms up and then it is fine.  This is with the tune Lund did for the drag strip.  I'm going to see about finishing data logging tonight so I can get him to review it.

did they match the upper to the lower?. my car idles very smooth and even cold that's why I'm wondering if something is amiss on what they did on the upper.

did they match the upper to the lower?. my car idles very smooth and even cold that's why I'm wondering if something is amiss on what they did on the upper.

Yes they are matched.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the intakes or heads.  I think I just need to get the tune dialed in.  Tom @ Super Six has been working on V6's for quite a few years.