Bananana

My 6R80 Auto to MT-82 Manual conversion project. *COMPLETED*!!!

I will be posting items in this thread pertinent to my project.  The shop that will be doing the physical swap for me will be taking pictures during the major steps and I will definitely be posting stuff from the dealer when I get the car's PCM flashed.  Until then the below are some of the things to do I posted in my other thread in the tech section.

This is a generalized list of todos for this project, not in specific order this is just gathering information.  I have been dealing with Ford, a local shop here who will do the install, and the workshop manual.   I have already downloaded printed and created a binder for this 6R80 to MT-82 install and will post a PDF of the entire process upon completion.  It looks pretty strait forward so far and I have confirmed much of the process including the hidden location of that pesky clutch position switch harness that Ford hid under the dash behind a kick plate for the MTs CPP switch. 

Items to be removed

·         Remove Hood

·         Remove strut tower brace

·         Remove brake booster and battery covers and disconnect negative battery terminal

·         Remove lower oil access cover from under car

·         Remove Auto gear selector after putting it into N

·         Remove Brake pedal assembly

·         Remove Brake reservoir

·         Remove Exhaust X-pipe (disconnecting o2 sensors from harness on tranny)

·         Remove Drive shaft

·         Remove Starter motor

·         Remove Transmission cooler and lines

·         Unbolt Converter from flex plate marking bolt and flex plate for re-installation (for new owner)

·         Remove transmission mount

·         Remove 10 transmission to engine bolts

·         Remove transmission

·         Remove flex plate (there will most likely be no pilot bearing as its an auto)

Items to be installed.

·         Install Flywheel (may need to install pilot bearing into rear of crank for input shaft of transmission support)

·         Install Clutch, pressure plate, Slave cyl acts as throw out bearing, and I am not sure if there is one or two pilot bearings yet (one in crank and possibly one in clutch disc but I assume its just one in the crank ford parts exploded view for pilot bearing part#7600 diagram shows two different shots of the same part# one in the crank and one in the clutch disc which is confusing it may be the same one just displayed differently I am 95% sure its just the crank as the disc is splined and lists qty per vehicle 1)

·         Install Slave cylinder (on MT-82)

·         Install Manual Brake reservoir

·         Install Brake/Clutch pedal assembly and Clutch master cylinder

·         Re-attach brake pedal harness and attach Clutch Pedal Position switch harness to (CPP)

·         Install Clutch master cylinder hydraulic line to Brake reservoir

·         Bolt MT-82 Transmission to engine (I believe both AT and MT use the same engine to transmission plate for the MT-82 and 6R80 ford part# 7007) Only one part listed for the 3.7)

·         Install transmission mount

·         Install Clutch slave cylinder hydraulic line to Master Clutch Cylinder

·         Plug in transmission wiring harness

·         Bolt in Shifter support bracket to tunnel

·         Install Drive shaft

·         Install X-pipe and plug in O2s

·         Fill brake reservoir

·         Install upper shifter unit and insulator materials and console

·         Bleed brakes and follow Clutch cylinder bleeding procedure

·         Install oil access cover from under car

·         Install strut tower brace

·         Install hood

·         Plug in negative terminal

·         Test startup and check for clutch operation and adjustment if needed. (Car will not start till new PCM is flashed and the pair of keys are setup in PATS)

·         Flash PCM with custom tune and test after testing basic operation. UPDATED: Ended up not ordering a new PCM the tuners wanted to try to use my existing PCM but as it turns out yes it runs but cruise, neutral safety, and reverse lights are still not working so the guy who got my 6R80 sent me his MT82 PCM and will give that a shot. 

New update Feb. 25th  PCM swap completed successfully, I shipped my NHE8 PCM to the guy who bought my 6R80 and I got his DWD4 back and programmed for my car.  This project is now completed at this time. 

More information to come.  Again this is a generalized list.  Also note at the end or near the end of the project my 6R80 +harness, flex plate, brake reservior, brake pedal assembly, transcooler and lines, shift selector, various fasteners will be up for sale if anyone is looking to do an MT to AT conversion. Only thing you should have to get extra is an AT PCM or get the existing PCM completely reflashed with an AT strategy (not sure if that can be done but its easy enough to just get a PCM from an auto so) and a new performance tune to your liking.  This transmission has sold, I included my PCM in the deal as the buyer and I traded PCMs =) He is going to attempt to use it in his twin turbo build which is going to be awesome. 

Items received so far....

New PCM (new from Ford)

Complete Manual trans wiring harness from 2013 Mustang (Kerrdog)

Pedal assembly with Master clutch cylinder and hydraulic lines (Kerrdog)

Shift boot and knob (Kerrdog)

Brake booster reservoir(Kerrdog)

Rear shifter mount(Kerrdog)

Clutch & flywheel & bolts for those

UPDATE: Could not get an MGW shifter assembly in time they do not stock them on the shelves there is a lead time on them as they make them apparently.  Ordered Barton short throw shifter and double post rear bracket.  Should arrive 12.9.13 according to UPS.

Still to come,

Shifter assy
Transmission
Clutch starter and cruise interrupt wiring harness

Items needed.....

New pilot bearing

Trans fluid (maybe)

Brake booster pedal rod retaining clip (always replace this when you disconnect brake pedal from the push arm)

Short shifter and shifter bracket (either MGW (preferred) or Barton with double post bracket (second option))

Spec 3 clutch assembly

Second Key for my car, I cannot even get the car flashed without a second key for PATS to get configured which is funny stuff.....

Thats a T56 offered by Ford Racing. No technically the T56 can handle like 700ft-lbs at the flywheel but that would prob be the only good thing, the MT-82 is not a whimpy trans at all just had some issues with the shifter having too much twist and play due to the poor bushing design and shifter bracket not being able to handle the deflection. The MT-82 shifts a little smoother than the T56. The T56 had a better mechanical feel to it. You can however swap that one in too.

One company I was working with before I decided to go all stock actually has the entire T56 Magnum kit complete for 4K it does require a different tranny mount but its included.

Any of you guys who have a stick by chance want to do me a huge favor?  It requires you getting under your dash at your pedals but it would be a huge help if you could do me this one favor and take pictures.  I need to see where the harness goes from the clutch pedal (its two sensors on the clutch pedal assembly one is black near the bottom rear of the pedal the other is Red its up top above the pedal, this is the Cruise control disable switch and Clutch Pedal Position sensor (so you can start the car with the pedal pushed in).  I need to know where this 1' long harness goes under the dash from those two switches.  It is one harness with those two plugs and the one that goes under the dash somewhere.

IF someone could get under there and trace that harness and get me a pic of the location it plugs into I would appreciate it.  I suspect it goes up, and towards the drivers side kick panel.

where do you live? I would love to just swap transmissions with you lol.

I am in MA, but I am already buying Kerrdog's setup. =)

but

I will have my Auto complete with PCM and everything up for grabs very soon for a more than reasonable price.

6R80 (TSB 11-11-11 was done)

full wire harness

pedals

PCM

flex plate

and any other incidentals

Shift Selector and trim ring etc.

You do not need to swap drive shafts or tranny mount, starter or engine plate.  Other than doing the swap and having someone with IDS add your Vin# mileage and program PATS for your keys thats about it.

Question: ok I think I know what you all will answer but I am going to ask away.  The doner transmission is from a 2013 it has I believe Kerrdog said 2.5k on it.  which is pretty low.  I know I am planning on swapping the clutch at some point but since I had to get a new PCM that kind of ate my Spec stage 3 kit.  So I plan on using the stock clutch initially but will put in the MGW complete shifter.  How is the stock clutch?

I think the stock clutch is fine. I don't plan to upgrade until it breaks. When that happens I'll probably go spec1. I wouldn't spend extra money to switch.

Question: ok I think I know what you all will answer but I am going to ask away.  The doner transmission is from a 2013 it has I believe Kerrdog said 2.5k on it.  which is pretty low.  I know I am planning on swapping the clutch at some point but since I had to get a new PCM that kind of ate my Spec stage 3 kit.  So I plan on using the stock clutch initially but will put in the MGW complete shifter.  How is the stock clutch?

It's not too bad.  Unless you're planning in visiting the track every weekend, I'd say go for it.

1 flywheel - received

1 Getrag MT82 transmission

1 Transmission wiring harness - received

1 Master clutch cylinder - received

1 clutch assembly - received

1 pedal assembly - received

1 set of fasteners for pedals (can reuse yours, same) (n/a)

1 shifter ball - received

1 shifter boot (I'll look at how this comes off Sunday, might be easier to swap console tops, very $$$ item) - received

1 Clutch fluid hose - received

1 Brake fluid reservoiur - received

1 set flywheel to crank bolts - received

1 set pressure plate bolts - received

1 CPP and Cruise Control cutoff jumper harness part# 12638

1 PCM new - received (pending VIN# confirmation its the correct unit, will trade it if needed if it turns out not to be)

1 Shifter assembly - MGW complete shifter - On order est delivery 11/26

:worthless:

Pics of what, hehe boxes of parts that's what I got not too exciting if you ask me =)

There will be pics during the process. =)

Apparently the shop that is doing the job for me also has access to IDS via his vehicle flash device some sort of ridiculous snap-on unit he has that can flash Ford, GM and Dodge and some other manufacturers.  That will save me a tow to the Ford dealer to do everything in house.  Reprogram the blank PCM and setup PATS.

I have seen plenty of vert MT's just not a lot of 3.7 ragtops with MT in them.  One other one I know of is grabber blue and tacky as crap too the guy has more decals, emblems and leds on it even white trash look at it and go damn you have gone too far.  It is absolutely off putting.  When he shows up at the other car shows, most of the the other mustang guys try to move their cars, its that bad.  but it is a vert and a stick.  

• Like 2

I believe I have found the Clutch Pedal Position switch and cruise deactivation harness connector under the dash, it looks like it was hidden under some black foam tape. I will have to finish peeling the tape off it and confirm the wires are the right colors but I think its it.

bd21ce79f459054d3c9795228e36c360.jpg

I was just thinking about this but I think I may get some weight reduction going to the MT-82 as well.  I believe the tranny is lighter, also since there is no converter filled with fluid, as well as the AT full of fluid and the lack of the tranny cooler I think it may shed some pounds, not sure how much...