Operations Advisor

• Moderators
  • 6,975 posts
  • 4532 reward credits
  • Milwaukee
  • Wisconsin
Garage View Garage

Posted August 7, 2017 - 02:25 PM

So this weekend I decided to do one more autocross hurrah before my surgery.  Nothing competitive so I went on my old RS3 v2's.  Plus I shouldn't be hauling around wheels and tires anyway.  My RS3's have some tread on them still, not much but enough to say they're not quite shot, at least not at a glance.  Well, they most certainly are.  Despite tread, they are INSANELY slick.  So slick that it feels like you're riding on hockey pucks.  They are so done but why?  Well, heat.  And here's where heat cycling comes into play.  Heat cycling in a tire is important because the compound itself needs to essentially "chemically settle", thermally.  Then it stays in heat cycle and can grip and shape as it starts to wear away.  But too much heat too fast and they heat cycle out.  So despite having tread left, my RS3's are absolutely done.  There is also another way to tell that they're totally cooked: the way the tread looks.  A heat cycled tire, especially a super high performance summer tire, tends to chunk a tiny bit and feel somewhat rough and look like settled cement, rough and wavy.  My RS3's look like plastic.  They're extremely smooth and feel like an all season touring tire now.  Essentially there's been so much expansion and contraction from heat that they have vulcanized into something totally next level.  Think of a dying star that has puffed out as it's expelling all of its fuel.  The tires have lost their capability to grip and dig.  Instead, they more so now just roll, if that makes sense.

So the takeaway here is that you can't always life check a tire based on tread.  There is another component to tire wear and in fact, a potentially dangerous one too.  I would not dare hit the track on these tires as they sit.

Retired Moderator - Thank you FFM members for an incredible online experience!

Visit Fastfordmuscle on Facebook!

Thank you to CORSA PERFORMANCE for supporting my vehicle

2016 900A Spec||PQ853||60T

SCCA SOLO Class CAM-C

2011 400A Spec || Option 55D || Option BB

YouTube!

#2 Grimace427

Grimace427

ASE Master Certified Technician

• Administrators
  • 16,827 posts
  • 14901 reward credits
  • Sterling
  • Virginia
Garage View Garage

Posted August 7, 2017 - 02:55 PM

Not only all that but age too. So many owners look at their tread and think all's fine but ignore the age of the tire. The cracks may be hard too see but when you're driving down the road and the tires heat up those cracks can expand and cause the tire to suddenly fail.

-2011 5.0 Black/Saddle, MT-82, 3.73, Brembo

-Tuned by Matt Honeycutt from Redliners Tuning
-Dynatech 1 7/8" longtube headers, 3" catted custom h-pipe with Borla S-Types, Boss intake, Steeda CAI
-Dynotech driveshaft, FRPP 'P', Strange 10-way adj. struts, Viking double adjustable shocks, BMR UCA/LCA, relo brackets, Steeda STB, JHR shifter/clutch line, Blowfish Racing solid shifter bracket(2014 setup)
-438/421, 12.19 @ 116mph(2011 setup)
-1967 Fastback, small block, 4-speed, work in progress

-Check out my YouTube channel! https://www.youtube....ger427/featured

#3 mariusvt

mariusvt

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • 3691 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania
Garage View Garage

Posted August 7, 2017 - 06:48 PM

So many different ways a tire that looks otherwise ok can be shot.

2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar |  Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

#4 Grimace427

Grimace427

ASE Master Certified Technician

• Administrators
  • 16,827 posts
  • 14901 reward credits
  • Sterling
  • Virginia
Garage View Garage

Posted August 7, 2017 - 08:46 PM

So many different ways a tire that looks otherwise ok can be shot.

Like Pirelli.....just look at it sideways and it blows up.

-2011 5.0 Black/Saddle, MT-82, 3.73, Brembo

-Tuned by Matt Honeycutt from Redliners Tuning
-Dynatech 1 7/8" longtube headers, 3" catted custom h-pipe with Borla S-Types, Boss intake, Steeda CAI
-Dynotech driveshaft, FRPP 'P', Strange 10-way adj. struts, Viking double adjustable shocks, BMR UCA/LCA, relo brackets, Steeda STB, JHR shifter/clutch line, Blowfish Racing solid shifter bracket(2014 setup)
-438/421, 12.19 @ 116mph(2011 setup)
-1967 Fastback, small block, 4-speed, work in progress

-Check out my YouTube channel! https://www.youtube....ger427/featured

#5 nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Operations Advisor

• Moderators
  • 6,975 posts
  • 4532 reward credits
  • Milwaukee
  • Wisconsin
Garage View Garage

Posted August 7, 2017 - 08:47 PM

Like Pirelli.....just look at it sideways and it blows up.

lololol.  Ain't that the truth.  Good sidewalls.  But...that's about it.

Retired Moderator - Thank you FFM members for an incredible online experience!

Visit Fastfordmuscle on Facebook!

Thank you to CORSA PERFORMANCE for supporting my vehicle

2016 900A Spec||PQ853||60T

SCCA SOLO Class CAM-C

2011 400A Spec || Option 55D || Option BB

YouTube!

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com