Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 05:20 AM

So I got a pretty good deal (I think) on some recaros out of a car that was a 2013-14. They where not stock on his car since they didn't match his back seats, but seeing as he didn't have an airbag light, they musta been from a 13-14. I have a early 2012, which with further investigation may be a bit of an issue. And seeing as the way I drive I may actually need the airbags to work one day....... Any idea what is required here? I have read only swapping bladders may be enough, but I'm worried I will have to 100% transplant my airbags and all the wiring to the recaros from my stock seats. Which, I mean, I guess I could do. Basically anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Mani's -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK -- MPT 91 Tune
MGW Race Spec -- RAM HDX -- Fidanza 12lbs flywheel -- DSS Aluminum -- 3.73 Rear
Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Brace -- BMR LCA's, Relo's, Adj. PHR, Motor Mounts
275/40 R19 MPSS -- 19x9.5 SVE Drifts -- Hawk HPS 5.0
JLT Oil Seperator -- SS Clutch & Brake Lines -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob -- GT500 Steering Wheel
250 watt 10" Bazookah Tube -- JBL GTO8628 6x8"
The Smoking Tire One Take:

#2 popeye

popeye

World's fastest Ecoboost manifold swapped 3.7, yo haters.

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted June 3, 2017 - 05:33 AM

Are you sure he didn't have a resistor plugged into his system to fool the airbag light. Take the airbags out of your stock seats and swap them into the Recaros. I think you need to cut two sets of hog rings to get full access to the airbags. Not that tough to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2012 V6 6M - MPT tune - Cold Air Intake - GT throttle body 80 mm - Mac Shorties - Stock cats/no resonators - 2 3/4" exhaust after cats - GT Mufflers
Aluminum DS - 3.73 gears - Konis yellows - Steeda Sport springs - 255/45-18 Toyo Sports

#3 Bananana

Bananana

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • 900 reward credits
  • Mansfield
  • Massachusetts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 05:38 AM

sell them and find year specific recaros

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

35f5b947-1a30-4dc7-a9c2-2260b6e058e6.lar

#4 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 08:21 AM

sell them and find year specific recaros

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Easier said then done lol

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Mani's -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK -- MPT 91 Tune
Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Brace -- BMR LCA's, Relo's, Adj. PHR, Motor Mounts
JLT Oil Seperator -- SS Clutch & Brake Lines -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob -- GT500 Steering Wheel

#5 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 08:24 AM

Are you sure he didn't have a resistor plugged into his system to fool the airbag light. Take the airbags out of your stock seats and swap them into the Recaros. I think you need to cut two sets of hog rings to get full access to the airbags. Not that tough to do.

Is it simply just swapping the bags? And as far as resistor he didn't. Unless he was super sly and unplugged it and stuffed it in his shirt while he unplugged em lol. If he was that would be good, cuz I potentially could have the year specific ones I need, but I doubt this.

I am just not sure what has to be swapped. If it's something I can do, I'll do it. They are in great shape and 1200 bucks I feel like isn't a bad price for what they are. Any idea if I have to swap all of the harnesses, the control box, the bladders, or only some? I think I just bought my way into a large project lol.

#6 popeye

popeye

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted June 3, 2017 - 08:58 AM

The side air bag has a wire that is long enough to hang down below the cover and that plugs into the harness. I'm surprised a 13-14 doesn't work on a 2012. The airbag is secured by two nuts. Starting at the bottom of the seat back you just start undoing the seat. Might be some Velcro and basic fasteners. Then you start to roll up the seat cover inside out. You only get so far till you hit a steel rod sewn into the cover and it's attached to the seat frame. It's connected with steel rings. Clip the rings off with some side cutters. Should be about 4. Continue to roll the seat up inside out. You should start to see the airbag. You might have to cut the next row up hog rings to get at the airbag. Once the air bag is exposed remove the two nuts holding it in. Swap out the airbag from your seats. At any Harbor Freight you can buy hog ring pliers and hog rings. Reattach the steel bar in the seat cover with the same number of hog ri ga you cut off. Roll down the seat cover and reattach the next steel bar. Now just button up the bottom of the seat cover and you are done. Plug back in to the harness,,,, then do the other seat. It's really very basic and no special tools other than the hog ring pliers are needed.

It's not a big project.

2012 V6 6M - MPT tune - Cold Air Intake - GT throttle body 80 mm - Mac Shorties - Stock cats/no resonators - 2 3/4" exhaust after cats - GT Mufflers
Aluminum DS - 3.73 gears - Konis yellows - Steeda Sport springs - 255/45-18 Toyo Sports

#7 popeye

popeye

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted June 3, 2017 - 09:00 AM

There is only one bladder in the side of the seat and it's only the seat back part.

#8 popeye

popeye

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted June 3, 2017 - 09:01 AM

If I lived closer to you i would tell you how difficult the project was and graciously offer to take them off of your hands.

#9 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 09:06 AM

The side air bag has a wire that is long enough to hang down below the cover and that plugs into the harness. I'm surprised a 13-14 doesn't work on a 2012. The airbag is secured by two nuts. Starting at the bottom of the seat back you just start undoing the seat. Might be some Velcro and basic fasteners. Then you start to roll up the seat cover inside out. You only get so far till you hit a steel rod sewn into the cover and it's attached to the seat frame. It's connected with steel rings. Clip the rings off with some side cutters. Should be about 4. Continue to roll the seat up inside out. You should start to see the airbag. You might have to cut the next row up hog rings to get at the airbag. Once the air bag is exposed remove the two nuts holding it in. Swap out the airbag from your seats. At any Harbor Freight you can buy hog ring pliers and hog rings. Reattach the steel bar in the seat cover with the same number of hog ri ga you cut off. Roll down the seat cover and reattach the next steel bar. Now just button up the bottom of the seat cover and you are done. Plug back in to the harness,,,, then do the other seat. It's really very basic and no special tools other than the hog ring pliers are needed.

It's not a big project.

Ok nice that doesn't seem that bad. As far as physically plugging in, I think it does. But I'm reading some people having dash lights pop up :/.

There is also the potential issue of the ocs (occupancy classification system) that is in the base of the seat. Although, I have found a pretty good write up on swapping that, it requires total disassembly of the seat base.

But I guess first order of business is to just try the seats. Hell. Maybe I don't get any idiot lights on my dash. But I have a pretty nagging feeling I will :/.

#10 popeye

popeye

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted June 3, 2017 - 09:09 AM

If you were swapping into an 07 or so I could see there being issues. But the 11-14 cars should all be interchangable. Have you even plugged them in yet?

#11 mariusvt

mariusvt

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 4,265 posts
  • 3683 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 11:55 AM

If you were swapping into an 07 or so I could see there being issues. But the 11-14 cars should all be interchangable. Have you even plugged them in yet?

+1 plug them in. Otherwise I've got a nice 2013 they'd look great in, feel free to send them to a good home 😀

2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar |  Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

#12 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 3, 2017 - 03:20 PM

+1 plug them in. Otherwise I've got a nice 2013 they'd look great in, feel free to send them to a good home

Well the car is at my apt, I'm at my parents place. So won't get a chance till next week. But I'm trying to plan out all possible ways to get these seats in my car even if I hit an issue.

#13 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 9, 2017 - 07:17 PM

Stupid seats. The controller for the bladder under passenger side is mounted in same place and looks identical. But I got an airbag light. Swapped passenger side back out for stock, and running a single recaro lol. Not sure if I just have to get the sensor reset to 0 it out (I did have someone sit in the seat just to see, didn't help), or if I will have to swap bladders or something. But, for now, the seat my ass sits in is a recaro ;)

#14 mariusvt

mariusvt

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 4,265 posts
  • 3683 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania
Garage View Garage

Posted June 10, 2017 - 01:14 AM

There's always the old school piece of electrical tape over the warning light.

2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar |  Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

#15 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 10, 2017 - 01:17 AM

There's always the old school piece of electrical tape over the warning light.

If I wanted to go that route I coulda spent way less money ahaha. I'll figure it out. I'm just not sure what to do. I may just try and swap the bladder over tomorrow. Not sure. Need to read up some more.

#16 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 10, 2017 - 10:38 PM

Boom bitches.

Swapped the bladder and its little control unit dealio and that's all it took. No airbag lights!!

f4d20f1dcea87a6a11c26bd0af197f07.jpg

af0fbe071dfa01142bf7de83a829983d.jpg

#17 CCstang

CCstang

Rewards Level 1

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • 170 reward credits
  • Cape Cod
  • Massachusetts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 11:43 PM

Good job, Ford really makes it hard on themselves. You would thing they make everything interchangeable on the 2011-2014 models and save a buck.  

[2012 Grabber Blue Performance Package 3.7 Cyclone] Mods, Bbk shorty headers-Bama 93 hybrid tune-J&m adjustable panhard bar-Airaid intake-Barton two post bracket-Bmr lower control arms-Jlt catch can-Koni yellows-Steeda sport lowering springs-18x10 Sve drifts-Bfg 275/40/18 Comp2-Ford racing sport axle backs-J&m cc plates-m2300s 14" Brembo big brake kit

#18 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted June 12, 2017 - 01:31 AM

Good job, Ford really makes it hard on themselves. You would thing they make everything interchangeable on the 2011-2014 models and save a buck.

To be fair I bet they where. The modules all looked identical. I just think my car wasn't "adjusted for" with the other bladder.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com