Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • 0 reward credits
  • Davenport
  • Iowa

Posted May 11, 2015 - 04:09 PM

I just took my 2011 GT500 into the local Ford dealership to have the transmission fixed.  I have a hell of a time getting from 1st to 2d under WOT without grinding.  No other gear experiences this issue.  If I drive the car "normally" I have no issue getting into 2d though it is "notchy" if that's a word.  I had the car for 3 years in Hawaii with the same issue but I didn't trust any dealership out there to fix anything.  I had read that there was a TSB out on the issue but the local dealership says none exists.  I'm now looking for the TSB and all I find is TSB 11-11-1 for the MT82 but nothing on the Tremec 6060.  Is anyone aware of anything else??  Any hints, clues, or actually finding the TSB would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

2011 Shelby GT500 Convertible, SVT and Electronics packages

2011 Shelby GTS Convertible, AT, V6, CAI, 3.73s, tune, aluminum DS, Speed of sound A pillar, FRPP gauges, FRPP girdle

#2 Grimace427

Grimace427

ASE Master Certified Technician

• Administrators
  • 16,757 posts
  • 14796 reward credits
  • Sterling
  • Virginia
Garage View Garage

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I don't know about a TSB but there were plenty of '11-12 GT500 owners with a 1-2 gear grind. The fix was replacing the synchros with carbon versions.

http://www.fordgt500...read.php?t=9441

-2011 5.0 Black/Saddle, MT-82, 3.73, Brembo

-Tuned by Matt Honeycutt from Redliners Tuning
-Dynatech 1 7/8" longtube headers, 3" catted custom h-pipe with Borla S-Types, Boss intake, Steeda CAI
-Dynotech driveshaft, FRPP 'P', Strange 10-way adj. struts, Viking double adjustable shocks, BMR UCA/LCA, relo brackets, Steeda STB, JHR shifter/clutch line, Blowfish Racing solid shifter bracket(2014 setup)
-438/421, 12.19 @ 116mph(2011 setup)
-1967 Fastback, small block, 4-speed, work in progress

-Check out my YouTube channel! https://www.youtube....ger427/featured

#3 FordService

FordService

Ford Service

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • 36 reward credits
  • Florida

Posted May 11, 2015 - 08:47 PM

I just took my 2011 GT500 into the local Ford dealership to have the transmission fixed.  I have a hell of a time getting from 1st to 2d under WOT without grinding.  No other gear experiences this issue.  If I drive the car "normally" I have no issue getting into 2d though it is "notchy" if that's a word.  I had the car for 3 years in Hawaii with the same issue but I didn't trust any dealership out there to fix anything.  I had read that there was a TSB out on the issue but the local dealership says no exists.  I'm now looking for the TSB and all I find is TSB 11-11-1 for the MT82 but nothing on the Tremec 6060.  Is anyone aware of anything else??  Any hints, clues, or actually finding the TSB would be greatly appreciated!

Hello tjys,

You should first bring it in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out. Make sure you speak with your service manager if needed. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

#4 tjys

tjys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • 0 reward credits
  • Davenport
  • Iowa

Posted May 12, 2015 - 12:49 PM

I took the car to the Ford dealer yesterday.  Their diagnosis ... I don't know how to drive a 6 speed.  Recommendation ... move my seat closer to the clutch.  Oh, I forgot, put synthetic transmission fluid in it and change the shifter to a MGW.  Really?  I told them to put synthetic in it since it's there but it cost ~$250.  I pick up the car today.  Nothing like paying over $50K for a car I don't know how to drive with a cheap shifter.  Forums are complaining about the 1 to 2 shift.  Only TSB came out for the MT82.  People are spending their own money to make up for Ford mistakes.  Makes me want to run out and buy another top of the line Mustang. 

image.jpg

2011 Shelby GTS Convertible, AT, V6, CAI, 3.73s, tune, aluminum DS, Speed of sound A pillar, FRPP gauges, FRPP girdle

#5 nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Operations Advisor

• Moderators
  • 6,950 posts
  • 4504 reward credits
  • Milwaukee
  • Wisconsin
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 01:12 PM

In terms of anything mechanical, I'd always have the tech/service manager drive with me.

Retired Moderator - Thank you FFM members for an incredible online experience!

Visit Fastfordmuscle on Facebook!

Thank you to CORSA PERFORMANCE for supporting my vehicle

2016 900A Spec||PQ853||60T

SCCA SOLO Class CAM-C

2011 400A Spec || Option 55D || Option BB

YouTube!

#6 popeye

popeye

World's fastest Ecoboost manifold swapped 3.7, yo haters.

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted May 12, 2015 - 05:27 PM

I took the car to the Ford dealer yesterday. Their diagnosis ... I don't know how to drive a 6 speed. Recommendation ... move my seat closer to the clutch. Oh, I forgot, put synthetic transmission fluid in it and change the shifter to a MGW. Really? I told them to put synthetic in it since it's there but it cost ~$250. I pick up the car today. Nothing like paying over $50K for a car I don't know how to drive with a cheap shifter. Forums are complaining about the 1 to 2 shift. Only TSB came out for the MT82. People are spending their own money to make up for Ford mistakes. Makes me want to run out and buy another top of the line Mustang.

This is what has disgusted me about the mustang for the past few years. Ford has completely turned their back on the consumer and basically say live with it! The remote shifter mechanism whether attached to the 6060 or the MT82 is horrible at best. Their suggestion to upgrade the shifter is a great solution but the fact that we have to do it ourselves is ridiculous. My MT82 makes me shift with a very deliberate effort to not crunch 1-2. It completely ruins a driving experience and literally makes you hate the car. When the MT82 arrived in 2011 the shifter should have been reworked for 2012. Such a shame they never had a factory fix.

2012 V6 6M - MPT tune - Cold Air Intake - GT throttle body 80 mm - Mac Shorties - Stock cats/no resonators - 2 3/4" exhaust after cats - GT Mufflers
Aluminum DS - 3.73 gears - Konis yellows - Steeda Sport springs - 255/45-18 Toyo Sports

#7 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 05:46 PM

Yea. It's almost definitely the shifter linkage you are hating. My MGW made it a lot better, but it's still not even right. I honestly think the mt82 just isn't great. Sadly, the 6060 probably is really nice, and is totally ruined by the shifter.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Mani's -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK -- MPT 91 Tune
MGW Race Spec -- RAM HDX -- Fidanza 12lbs flywheel -- DSS Aluminum -- 3.73 Rear
Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Brace -- BMR LCA's, Relo's, Adj. PHR, Motor Mounts
275/40 R19 MPSS -- 19x9.5 SVE Drifts -- Hawk HPS 5.0
JLT Oil Seperator -- SS Clutch & Brake Lines -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob -- GT500 Steering Wheel
250 watt 10" Bazookah Tube -- JBL GTO8628 6x8"
The Smoking Tire One Take:

#8 nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Operations Advisor

• Moderators
  • 6,950 posts
  • 4504 reward credits
  • Milwaukee
  • Wisconsin
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 05:47 PM

This is what has disgusted me about the mustang for the past few years. Ford has completely turned their back on the consumer and basically say live with it!

This issue OP is describing is a dealership issue, not a Ford issue.

It should now be escalated to FoMoCo.

Dealer != manufacturer.  Just like Best Buy != Sony, Samsung, LG, etc etc.

SCCA SOLO Class CAM-C

YouTube!

#9 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 05:58 PM

This issue OP is describing is a dealership issue, not a Ford issue.

It should now be escalated to FoMoCo.

Dealer != manufacturer.  Just like Best Buy != Sony, Samsung, LG, etc etc.

What Popeye is saying, it was Ford who designed the wonderful and universally applauded and highly acclaimed remote shifter assembly. It was so great, it took them till 2015 to tweak it.

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Mani's -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK -- MPT 91 Tune
Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Brace -- BMR LCA's, Relo's, Adj. PHR, Motor Mounts
JLT Oil Seperator -- SS Clutch & Brake Lines -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob -- GT500 Steering Wheel

#10 Grimace427

Grimace427

• Administrators
  • 16,757 posts
  • 14796 reward credits
  • Sterling
  • Virginia
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 06:27 PM

What Popeye is saying, it was Ford who designed the wonderful and universally applauded and highly acclaimed remote shifter assembly. It was so great, it took them till 2015 to tweak it.

The extreme majority of Mustang owners don't have an issue with the stock shifter. Ford isn't going to increase NVH for all cars just for the select few who want a more performance-oriented shifter. That's why the aftermarket exists in the first place.

Besides, I could almost bet Tjys isn't experiencing a shifter issue but rather the common 1-2 synchro issue.

-Dynatech 1 7/8" longtube headers, 3" catted custom h-pipe with Borla S-Types, Boss intake, Steeda CAI
-Dynotech driveshaft, FRPP 'P', Strange 10-way adj. struts, Viking double adjustable shocks, BMR UCA/LCA, relo brackets, Steeda STB, JHR shifter/clutch line, Blowfish Racing solid shifter bracket(2014 setup)

#11 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 06:46 PM

The extreme majority of Mustang owners don't have an issue with the stock shifter. Ford isn't going to increase NVH for all cars just for the select few who want a more performance-oriented shifter. That's why the aftermarket exists in the first place.

Besides, I could almost bet Tjys isn't experiencing a shifter issue but rather the common 1-2 synchro issue.

Yea I don't disagree with you, it probably is synchro because I never had much issue with 1-2. It was always 2-3 that sucked.

But still. It is a gt500. They could add a bit of NVH to that car to improve stuff like the shifter. It is a gt500, the biggest baddest quarter mile car ford offers. You would expect it to bang gears like a champ, not a tard. But I also realize the vast majority of 500's never are used more than 1/4 throttle.

#12 Grimace427

Grimace427

• Administrators
  • 16,757 posts
  • 14796 reward credits
  • Sterling
  • Virginia
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Yea I don't disagree with you, it probably is synchro because I never had much issue with 1-2. It was always 2-3 that sucked.

But still. It is a gt500. They could add a bit of NVH to that car to improve stuff like the shifter. It is a gt500, the biggest baddest quarter mile car ford offers. You would expect it to bang gears like a champ, not a tard. But I also realize the vast majority of 500's never are used more than 1/4 throttle.

Why are you making it sound like the GT500 has as many shifting issues as the regular production cars?

#13 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 10:19 PM

Why are you making it sound like the GT500 has as many shifting issues as the regular production cars?

I am just going off Popeyes remark about the shifter. Does it use the same shifter assembly as the normal cars? I was just assuming it does.

#14 nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Operations Advisor

• Moderators
  • 6,950 posts
  • 4504 reward credits
  • Milwaukee
  • Wisconsin
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 11:11 PM

TR6060's are generally pretty much THE benchmark for "American" branded manual transmissions but if they have any problem, it's usually eating the 2nd gear syncro.  ZR1's particularly have a problem with this.  If you could call it a major "problem."  Big horsepower = big trans = big gears = big syncros = harder to get them spinning correctly.

SCCA SOLO Class CAM-C

YouTube!

#15 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted May 12, 2015 - 11:29 PM

Yea I am not knocking the 6060, that's a good tranny. I just thought all the stangs used basically the same shifter linkage. If thats not true, my bad lol.

#16 tjys

tjys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • 0 reward credits
  • Davenport
  • Iowa

Posted May 13, 2015 - 12:02 AM

I'll probably invest in the MGW.  It's not like I take these cars to the track like I used to but I'm with popeye and all that we have laid out good money for a top of the line car and there are issues.  Granted, taking a fraction of a second longer to shift from 1 to 2 is not a show stopper, there are fixes, but I'll be shelling out the money.  I certainly understand most 500 owners just park their rides in the garage and only bring them out on the weekend but still it should work correctly.  As few times as I get into it ... I agree with Ligistx, I hate looking like a "tard" when the damn thing grinds in.  BTW, I had the tranny mechanic with me on the test drive and seemed like a really good guy.  He also owns a Shelby and recommended carbon synchro's a la Grimace!!  Looks like my son may be getting this car a few years early and I'll be looking at something with an automatic.

image.jpg

#17 LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 6,332 posts
  • 5620 reward credits
  • Los Angeles
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted May 13, 2015 - 02:09 AM

Yea I got the MGW Race Spec shifter and it fixed a lot of the annoying issues. Like my 1-2 shift now is like butter, where before it was just, well I mean it worked... Now its like a rifle bolt, its amazing. 2-3 can still be a bit weird sometimes. At WOT its perfect, like, spot the F*#K on. But sometimes when I am lackadaisical and driving normal and slow it gets hung up for a second which is weird. But overall, it was 100% worth the money. Few of my friends have felt it and where genuinely very impressed.

#18 popeye

popeye

World's fastest Ecoboost manifold swapped 3.7, yo haters.

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • 3558 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:38 AM

Come on,,,,,I don't know of anyone who owns an MT82 that is happy with how it shifts in its stock configuration. It's crunchy, notch or flat out grinds gears. Why even you have gone through quite a few modifications so that you are now happy with how it works. Do the vast majority of MT82 cars shift when asked to,,,yes, Do any of the stock setups do it well,,,hell no.

2012 V6 6M - MPT tune - Cold Air Intake - GT throttle body 80 mm - Mac Shorties - Stock cats/no resonators - 2 3/4" exhaust after cats - GT Mufflers
Aluminum DS - 3.73 gears - Konis yellows - Steeda Sport springs - 255/45-18 Toyo Sports

#19 mariusvt

mariusvt

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 4,265 posts
  • 3683 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania
Garage View Garage

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:35 AM

^^ Indeed, mine has the occasional crunch into 2nd and even a slight grind when really cold on the first shift or 2 of the morning.  If it ever becomes consistent enough or flat out blows up then I'll take it in for warranty work, until then I'm just going to roll with it.  I've got plenty of time left on my 5/60 powertrain warranty.

2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar |  Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

#20 tjys

tjys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • 0 reward credits
  • Davenport
  • Iowa

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:13 PM

One last question ... Ligistx, how hard was it to replace the shifter?  I've replaced fox and new edge but not the S195 or 7.

image.jpg

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com