JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted March 25, 2017 - 10:29 PM

With a whiskey tasting you do the same palate cleansing between tastes. A swish of water in your tasting glass too to get the last of the whiskey out and usually I drink that down as well to get ready for the next taste.

We do a theme so the whiskey will be from the same area or similar profiles. Other than the "kitty malt" which could be from anywhere and is simply what someone finds that sounds interesting and is much more than any one of us would spend on a bottle.

#42 mariusvt

mariusvt

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • 3691 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania
Garage View Garage

Posted March 26, 2017 - 12:18 AM

Jefferson's doesn't distill its' own whiskey. It buys whiskey from other distillers and blends and ages it for its' own unique taste.

Almost forgot on the Jefferson's. I had a bottle of their Groth cask too. It is aged in Napa Valley Groth Winery cabernet sauvignon barrels.

Yea, their regular Bourbon is pretty good.  They are like a lot of the small time folks, buying up other distiller's product then blending it to what they want in a Bourbon.  My go to is Four Roses Single Barrel, for $35-40 can't beat it.

2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar |  Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

#43 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted March 28, 2017 - 11:32 PM

Working on the collection again tonight. Decided to taste some of my Glen Moray Classic Single Malt. A Speyside whiskey.

They age this one for at least 7 years in ex bourbon casks (most have only been used once), but it is still a very light whiskey, a lot of grass notes and just a slight peat. This is a very easy drink and well suited to someone just getting into scotch, in my opinion. Doesn't hit you hard with peatiness, and very light.

Attached File  Glen Moray.jpg   111.74KB   1 downloads

#44 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted March 30, 2017 - 10:38 PM

Decided to go with a little of The Macallan 12 year old tonight. A very drinkable Speyside scotch, aged in oak sherry casks from Spain. Just a little peat on the nose but not overbearing at all. A little butterscotch I think, some say apple and dried fruit. Light and sweet, with oak on the finish. I think it is a great beginner scotch because the peat is subtle.

Attached File  20170330_165715.jpg   80.61KB   4 downloads

The collection is getting small enough that I can start thinking about what to add to it now.

Attached File  20170330_165729.jpg   103.18KB   4 downloads

#45 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 1, 2017 - 01:00 AM

Just about finished off a bottle of Macallan 12 and agree its a good beginners scotch whiskey. For not much more one of my favorites is Oban 14, its nice and smooth with a very good finish, and a good value imo.

Picked up a bottle of Old Pulteney 17 for the first time today. A highland whiskey matured in Spanish Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez casks. Very smooth with a nice fairly complex finish.

Attached Files

#46 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted April 1, 2017 - 01:53 AM

I've sampled many Oban, a very good whiskey. Haven't had an Old Pulteney as far as I can remember. But with the scotch club we have tasted something like 360 different whiskies so it could be in the group!

#47 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 2, 2017 - 03:59 AM

Tonight I'm going with Eagle Rare 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. This one has a little kick to it. :sarcastic:

The bright honey/topaz color shows sparkling bronze core features impeccable purity; the early aromas include gentle grain, toasted honey-wheat bread, and tobacco leaf with aeration, the aroma quickly transforms into a pedal-to-the-metal Bourbon bouquet....with restrained, or better, understated aroma but I sense lots of power lying just beneath the surface.....the mid-palate tastes explode on the tongue......the finish is long, corny sweet, moderately fiery, and lasciviously oily; easily one of the most tactile yet assertive and expressive Bourbons I've tasted in the last two years; fasten your seat belts.

Paul Pacult, The Spirit Journal

Attached Files

#48 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted April 2, 2017 - 02:14 PM

I finished off a bottle of the Eagle Rare last month - very good whiskey. Excellent choice.

#49 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 2, 2017 - 08:02 PM

I found some new additions at the one of the oldest local liquor stores (early 1900s), Crest Liquor.

First up, Glenmorangie 10 year old Highland Scotch had a special gift box that included a sample of their Lasanta 12 year old with Sherry cask finish, and another 12 year old, Quinta Ruban with Port cask finish. A very nice package for $35.

I also purchased a bottle of Four Roses single barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon based on Jim's recommendation.

I have never tried any of these, but expect some nice tastings, starting this evening. :)

Attached Files

#50 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted April 2, 2017 - 09:09 PM

Nice pick up on the Glenmorangie. One of my favorite scotch and the Ladanta is great!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#51 mariusvt

mariusvt

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • 3691 reward credits
  • Pennsylvania
Garage View Garage

Posted April 2, 2017 - 10:43 PM

You can't go wrong with the Four Roses Single Barrel, hands down my favorite bourbon right now.

2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar |  Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |

#52 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 3, 2017 - 12:25 AM

I also purchased a bottle of Four Roses single barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon based on Jim's recommendation.

Didn't quite get that right, thanks mariusvt.

#53 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 3, 2017 - 02:54 AM

You can't go wrong with the Four Roses Single Barrel, hands down my favorite bourbon right now.

Interesting write up, and very tasty indeed.

http://fourrosesbour...on-infographic/

#54 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted April 5, 2017 - 01:55 PM

I found some new additions at the one of the oldest local liquor stores (early 1900s), Crest Liquor.

First up, Glenmorangie 10 year old Highland Scotch had a special gift box that included a sample of their Lasanta 12 year old with Sherry cask finish, and another 12 year old, Quinta Ruban with Port cask finish. A very nice package for $35.

I have never tried any of these, but expect some nice tastings, starting this evening. :)

So what did you think of the Four Roses and various Glenmorangie expressions?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#55 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 5, 2017 - 11:21 PM

I liked the Four Roses quite a bit. I haven't tried any of the Glenmoragie yet, been busy and getting home late, but might get to some tonight.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#56 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 10, 2017 - 02:53 PM

I've now sampled the Glenmoragie including the two samples. My first impression of the original (10 yr), if there ever was a summer Scotch, this is it. Light, w/ a nice nose and flavorful, very good. Another that would make a good beginners Scotch. The other two were 12 yr in the barrel, one in a sherry barrel (Lasanta) the other Port (Quinta Ruban). The Lasanta reminded me of Macallan 12, very nice. The Quinta Ruban was different, but very nice too. The two samples are finished and the original is almost gone. Good stuff.

#57 JimC

JimC

SHO'nough

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • 461 reward credits
  • Monroe
  • Michigan

Posted April 14, 2017 - 12:49 AM

Culled another bottle out of the collection tonight. A Corner Creek Reserve Bourbon. Inexpensive (less than $30) and decent taste. Aged 8 years, with some honey notes as well as vanilla and cinnamon. It is said to be a somewhat rare find. The only downside to it is that it is a mix but doesn't give a clue where it is sourced from; so hard to say what the next bottle will taste like because it can be inconsistent.

Slainte!

Attached File  20170413_194328.jpg   80.95KB   4 downloads

Attached File  20170413_194336.jpg   90.42KB   4 downloads

#58 Joenpb

Joenpb

Rewards Level 3

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • 680 reward credits
  • San Diego
  • California
Garage View Garage

Posted April 30, 2017 - 10:28 PM

Finished off that Glenmorangie 10 sample pack and bought another today. This afternoon on the patio with an Alesmith IPA & an Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Cuban Belicoso, will finish this evening with Glemorangie. Good afternoon/evening all. :)

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com